October 31, 2014

Scrubs: My Jerks (season premiere)

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 6th 2009 9:32PM
Scrubs: My Jerks(S08E01) It's interesting how much attention Scrubs gets from us TV-loving types, considering how little attention it gets from everyone else. Why is it?

Well, partially it's because of Bill Lawrence and the cast, who have been entertaining to cover and very press-friendly. But mostly, it's because of the comedic potential the program showed over it's first couple of years, which included the ability to go from comedy to high drama in an instant and make it look easy.

The eighth(and final?) season premiere was more comedic than dramatic (the second episode of the night, "My Last Words," demonstrates this balance quite well), but it showed that Lawrence was serious when he told critics that he was going to dial down the silly and get back to what made people like the show to begin with.

I discussed the episode a bit when I previewed season eight a couple of months ago, so, I'll just give some quick hits on this one. And, to be honest, the better episode of the night is "My Last Words," which I'll discuss more in depth in a separate post.

Fun stuff from this episode:
  • Courteney Cox as the new Chief of Medicine, Dr. Taylor Maddox. She has a little bit of Monica Gellar in her (her fear of spiders seems very Monica-esque), but Cox plays the "friendly but really a jerk" thing pretty well. Maybe it's best that J.D. keeps asking her about her vagina, just to keep her on her toes.
  • Leave it to Dr. Cox to suss out the "jerk" in her. "The position attracts jerks," he tells Carla, and he was reluctant to be "that guy" and fight yet another chief, but he did what he felt was right. Nice performance by John McGinley in the scene where he tells J.D. that he's tired of being "that guy." You can just feel his exhaustion through the screen.
  • Some meta jokes, but not too many: J.D. points in the direction of the ABC logo and goes "that's new," which was kinda on the nose, but at least it led Janitor to make fun of J.D.'s "new pre-pubescent Miami Vice beard."
  • The best meta joke was during the credits tag, where J.D. says, "I know it's tempting to just mail it in, but there's still a lot of people who rely on us week to week. I think we owe it to them to be as inspired as we were during our first few years."
  • You can see that Elliot's come the longest way in the eight years of the show. Even at her most self-involved moments, she seems so much more mature than even the Elliot of a few years ago. Her sincere apology to Keith for breaking things off felt sincere. Too bad she had to be a jerk to Keith for a year-plus first.
  • The interns ... well, what can you say about them? Eliza Coupe as the unfeeling Denise and Aziz Ansari as the text-messaging Ed are the standouts in this one, but we'll be seeing more of them (think webisodes) as the year goes on. And I want to see more of Jimmy the Overly Touchy Orderly.
  • Poor Ted. He just gets more pathetic every year. The smiley face button and handgun in his briefcase are just Ted's life in microcosm, aren't they?
  • Kelso's going to observe this whole circus from Coffee Bucks, huh? It'll be fun to get his view of things now that he's no longer the boss.
  • Janitor fired? Nah ... that's not right.

Jeff N.

Loved the show, and loved seeing it in HD. Finally!

January 07 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam E

..YOU'RE my favorite..

January 07 2009 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flip

Wow! Have I missed "Scrubs". The "key" that fits everything, "Steak Night", "Jerks",etc.. But the "Cougar" (happy hour) and the "MILF" (I forgot I had a son) exchange were "priceless". I will be a part of any movement to keep this show afloat.

January 07 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

"Eliza Coupe as the unfeeling Denise and Aziz Ansari as the text-messaging Ed are the standouts in this one." Episode trivia: Both actors appeared in episodes of Flight of the Conchords!

January 07 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I tried watching but was disappointed to see the same tired, irrelevant, formulaic, uninspired show that should have ended its run on NBC two or three seasons ago.

Paging Dr. Kevorkian!

January 07 2009 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I really appreciate Courtney Cox's portrayal of the sickeningly sweet but souless chief of staff. The CEO of my hospital is a male copy of her. You know, the guy with the big smile who fires you over lunch?

January 07 2009 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KamenRiderTakoyaki

Glad to see Ed's over his racist tendencies, considering his last job as a fruit seller.

January 07 2009 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to KamenRiderTakoyaki's comment
Usama

Nice.

January 07 2009 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam E

THAT'S where I had seen him before!! Thanks.

January 07 2009 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

"how little attention it gets from everyone else"

I had never watched this show but found myself watching it in syndication sometime in November. Due to the lack of options in the pre-prime time slot, I settled on a Scrubs episode. I was surprised, amused and wondered aloud how I managed to not watch a single episode when they were still producing new shows.

Imagine the hilarity of finding out a new season was coming up. Somewhere in this mess of a post is an insight into why people ignore this show.

January 07 2009 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Ben Lee "Catch my Disease"

January 07 2009 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse

The show seems to be shot differently. In some scenes at least. In that scene where JD and Cox are sitting there discussing being tired of it all, the ambient light from t he window seemed out of place for a Scrubs episode. Still a damn good episode, best in a while.

January 07 2009 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jesse's comment
fsu120

I was thinking the same thing

January 07 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

It really does look like a mix of an NBC show and an ABC show.

January 07 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply