April 18, 2014

Scrubs: My Last Words

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 6th 2009 10:02PM
Scrubs: My Last Words(S08E02) As I mentioned in the review for "My Jerks" and my season eight preview, if you want to see a perfect example of what Scrubs has done so well over the years, look no further than this episode. It's a deft mix of comedy and drama, with emotion mingling with character-based jokes that move the story along instead of interfering with it. It's the kind of episode that makes people like me believe that the show has something left and buy into Bill Lawrence's suggestion that the show is going to get back to basics and keep the silliness to a minimum.

By the way, if you noticed, not everyone in the cast was in this episode. You'll see that quite a bit this season, mainly as a way to keep costs down. But that didn't take away from how much I liked this one.

The comedic parts were done well, even stuff we've seen before, like Dr. Maddox' ability to zero in on a person's biggest flaw (didn't Molly Clock do that, too?). We didn't see much of Courteney Cox in this one, which makes me scratch my head; you'd think that if you have a star like her signed for only three episodes, you'd use her for more than two scenes in one of them. What funny stuff did I like best? The steak night dance, J.D.'s slow-mo, hair-blowing fantasies, Ted's frustration with a typewriter, Intern Denise's story about sexing up chubby guys "because they try harder," the fact that Intern Ed has the ability to start trends quickly, and all the "bromantic" stuff Turk and J.D. do.

But it's the Dynamic Duo's interaction with dying patient George Valentine that's at the core of this episode. Glynn Turman did a great job here as George; you were right there with him as he went through the emotions of a guy who knows he won't last the night. But Zach Braff and Donald Faison both hold their own here; people forget that when they both dial down the goofy, they can be decent dramatic actors. Their job was to show that, as veteran doctors, they think they have the key to dealing with death, but they're as scared of it as anyone else, and you felt that from them, even as J.D. was talking about a cloud filled with lesbians in heaven.

If this is what we're going to be seeing for the rest of the season, then sign me up, because I'll be enjoying the hell out of it.

Justin

I want to give love to Denise/Jo as well. Should the show continue on in some capacity, I could watch it just for her. After the atrocity that was Keith, it was nice to connect to a new character.

That said, I'm lukewarm with Aziz's Ed, but I think I'm supposed to be at the moment. He's the sort of person I have to fight the urge to punch in public so I know Aziz is playing him spot on.

Both episodes were great and certainly helped to rinse some of the bad taste out of our mouths after the past two seasons ups and downs (more downs than ups).

January 07 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John H.

As carlomoss mentioned, when my mother passed away my family and I sat in the hospital room talking about death in almost surreal atmoshpere. That is all I could think about as I watched. I even mentioned to my bride (who is in the process of losing a grandparent) that someone from the writing staff must have been hiding in the room.

Very good show and what I really love about Scrubs.

January 07 2009 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

This was a great episode. I'm glad Scrubs is back.

I have to say though, I don't see how different this season is from all the previous. Everyone is reporting how drastic the changes are, but I don't see it at all. It's still as wacky as ever, and the fantasies are still there. While there was an emotional scene, I can recall a few in past seasons as well.

The only thing that stood out is the fewer number of characters in each episode. Besides JD and Turk, it seems like the new interns got more screentime than all the other main cast in these 2 episodes.

January 07 2009 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carlomoss

I never comment on message boards, but really the felt the need to here... I just lost my father about two weeks ago and spent a final night in the hospital room with my dad that was very similar to what was portrayed on scrubs tonight. I just have to say, it was an absolute pleasure to see a tv show deal with that type of situation in such a way. It was moving, cathartic, heart-wrenching and beautiful. I never thought I'd be able to watch a tv show and say that.

January 07 2009 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NearFar

A memorable episode that made me sad that this might be the last year for this group. This show not only make me think when they present and episode like this but if it can get to me emotionally, it is a winner by far.

January 07 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

This (two-part) opener has really made me excited for the season to come. Maybe it's because of the lackluster last few years, but I couldn't stop grinning tonight. Let's hope they can keep pace and give this show the send-off it deserves!

January 07 2009 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thaddeus Collins

One of the best episodes of Scrubs ever!! Right up there with the Brendan Fraser death one. This had a great mix of drama and comedy, there were a few laugh out loud scenes (Aziz is hilarious!!!), which I haven't had in a LONG TIME while watching Scrubs. And the entire scenes in the hospital room were played just right! The guest actor was amazing as well. As you said, if Scrubs is going to be as good as these first two episodes, we are in for a great season!!

January 07 2009 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lukas

The name of the song is by Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark

January 07 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ad1d1

Hey does anyone remember that song at the end where George was about to die?

Thanks

January 06 2009 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ad1d1's comment
sparky5

follow you into the dark by death cab for cutie

January 07 2009 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fgghjfgj

I will Follow you into the dark- Death Cab for Cutie

January 07 2009 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mick

I was so very impressed with this episode. It was nice to see Ted utilized so well.

January 06 2009 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply