September 18, 2014

NBC likes Police (but there might not be room for it)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 7th 2009 12:03PM
NBC logoI was afraid this might happen to new shows.

Brett told you last June about a new show from ER producer John Wells titled LAPD. Well, the show has been retitled to Police, and NBC is still interested in it. However, not only is the number of episodes ordered under dispute (they're looking for 12, but NBC might want six instead), there might not be a place on the schedule for it. Jay Leno is taking up the 10pm time slot Monday through Friday later this year, so they might only want it for a short period of time. And that's if they have room for it at all.

As I mentioned before, this is the problem I see with Leno being on in prime time every night. Sure, they might save money and get some consistent ratings (maybe), but he's going to cut into new shows the network could be airing. Also, the shows that are on at 10pm right now might not work out in a 9pm or 8pm time slot (if they would even do that anyway). I hope NBC doesn't start telling producers, "well, we have Saturday night at 9:30 free. Or how about every night at 2am, right after Carson Daly? Either of those work for you?"

The show stars Tom Everett Scott (I really liked Philly; too bad that show isn't on anymore), Regina King, The O.C.'s Benjamin MacKenzie, and Arija Bareikis.

Viktor H.

I wouldn't mind another season of ER. It is still one of the best shows on TV. But... the end is the end.

February 25 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guido

If you can put a show like CSI and Lost in the 9pm slot .. you can put any type of show in the 9pm slot

January 08 2009 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Cook is my Idol!

Aren't there more than enough crime shows on TV already? Not everyone likes watching them. I'm no reality show fan, but I'd watch those shows before I'd watch any police show. I'm not anti-law enforcement. I just don't want to watch murder investigations.

OT: Personally, I'd like to see the networks bring back more sitcoms. Funny ones with likable characters and interesting plots. We need more shows like Cheers, NewsRadio, Seinfeld, Wings, Scrubs, Arrested Development, and Friends back on TV. I watch TV to escape reality.

January 07 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Just what NBC needs to compete with CBS. The exact same thing. Screw Life and Chuck, which should pay dividends given time and effort and go the safe option of a cop show called 'Police'.

January 07 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

They would have room for it if they went year round with non-reality show new programing.

Really they are in 4th place. What are they gonna lose to make it a "mini-series" and air in the middle of the summer. Then if people like it make a series.

Like they did with that girly-girly Starter Wife on USA