October 30, 2014

Jeannie Darcy: SNL's most underrated character? - VIDEO

by Eliot Glazer, posted Jan 8th 2009 6:01PM
jeannie darcy molly shannon snl saturday night liveIt seems that there has never been a period of time when critics (and the masses) didn't chide Saturday Night Live, claiming the show to be in a "creative slump," or even going as far as calling it - get this - "Saturday Night Dead."

But for stalwart fans like myself who tend to consider every nuance and minor detail of the show's sketches, the sentiment is either only partially true or not true at all. Sure, the show saw a spike in viewership thanks to Tina Fey's Sarah Palin impression, leading critics to praise SNL's "creative resurgence." But the buzz was just as strong when Will Ferrell played George W. Bush nine years ago. (And, furthermore, it wasn't as if the show didn't have its culturally resonant hits in recent years, not limited to Maya Rudolph's Donatella Versace impression or Andy Samberg's fusion of Internet humor into the mix).

So to those who say SNL is back, I say, have you ever seen Molly Shannon's Jeannie Darcy? Because it is, by far, one of the most brilliantly executed, underrated characters to ever appear on the show. (Or maybe I just have a thing for mullets and bolo ties. Same difference.) See what I mean in the video after the jump.

Who are your favorite underrated SNL characters? Let us know in the comments!

Doug Modlin

You got that right, sister friend. The last time I laughed so hard was when i saw my ex-boyfriend naked for the 1st time... don't get me started!

I just don't understand why Molly isn't a mega-star these days - altho she is in my book.

July 10 2011 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brianparton

Oh, oh, oh, oh!! Chris Kataan as the Chinese representative to the UN Security Council meeting in 2003. And time will never let us forget Parnell as MERV THE PERV!!

May 10 2010 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brianparton

Bennet Brauer "instantly comes to mind" along with Abe Scheinwald, Tim Calhoun, Dave Spade-as-Dick-Clark's nervy secretary....and, yes, I really dig the female humour of Jeannie Darcy. I, too, hang on to every nuance and think the period of 2003-present has been fantastic!! The threadbare remark "Saturday Night Dead" is just that. Self-congratulatory hack writers have been patting themselves on the back for that one since the 1980-81 season. So many 38-year olds who still wish it was Farley and Phil and too many dolts my age who wish it was still Belushi-Aykroyd. As Aunt Linda might rightfully say, "Gyaaaahhhh!!"

May 09 2010 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
noodles

Hello folks, I may be not on point, but since Tina Fey and Amy Poeller aren't a part of the show. WOW!! Give us a break from the untalented folks who are desperate for a skit. NADA,,, Help us in our economic whoes, Find folks who are talented amongst the 4.800,00 million folks out of work.. We must have a routine that may withstand the comidic greatness of our past talents. Need I disregard Will Farell. Too bad... Say, where we in an anticeptic pool of life...... Get with it.. Thanks Bobbi

January 30 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thatguyizzy

I agree as well with Astronaut Jones. Laughed my ass off every sketch ("Well, why don't you drop out of that green jumpsuit and show me that phat ass!").

Most underrated sketch of all-time: All Aboard the Freedom Train - The Duets of Big Foot and Neil Diamond. Will Ferrell as Neil and The Rock as Big Foot. I can never find this sketch anywhere, but I can still remember most of it, and it has some of the most quotable lines ever!
Neil: Seriously, I have no idea what's going on right now. I'm probably in my basement talking to my water heater.

Neil: (sung to 'Monday, Monday') I'm about 80 percent sure it was a dream when I ate that kid!

January 10 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tanner

I always appreciated Dana Carvey's Mass Headwound Harrry! "he probably smells my dog!"

I think Phil Hartman's Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer was just brilliant!

January 09 2009 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al

You mentioned Maya's Donatella, but not her Beyonce Knowles with Fred Armisen as Prince? I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who really loved The Prince Show...

January 09 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Watson

Don't get me started... I love this character!

January 09 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vijay

I was always a fan of Phil Hartman's "Handsome Man" and Tim Meadows's "Handsome Black Man".

January 09 2009 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vijay's comment
Vijay

I mean Mike Myers's "Handsome Man". Not sure where Phil came from.

January 09 2009 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

I'm so happy that you mentioned Jeannie Darcy. My friends and I used to re-watch this sketch over and over on the Best of Molly Shannon DVD because we loved it so much. I just don't understand how people don't find it hilarious. Thank you so much!

January 09 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply