September 23, 2014

Obama wants to delay that whole digital TV thing

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 8th 2009 7:06PM
retro tvYou've seen the countless ads with the dire warnings: switch to digital TV by February 17 or you won't be able to watch any of your favorite shows and you'll have to read a book or play with your kids. And I bet your local news stations have been running various tests and a crawl at the bottom of the screen to remind you about the transition. Now it looks like it might not happen when it's supposed to..

The Obama transition team is asking Congress to extend the deadline because the way the transition has been handled hasn't been the smoothest: there's been a problem with the coupons that the government is giving out so people can get a converter box, the education on the new technology has been inadequate, and the government doesn't have the funds to make the current date a reality. Consumers unions are also asking for the date to be extended.

My sister asked me if I was ready for the digital transition, and I told her that I've been ready for years. Then I met someone last week who says she still has a small portable TV with rabbit ears. Are you ready for the change?

Are you ready for the digital TV transition?
Yes451 (75.2%)
No76 (12.7%)
My TV is gas-powered73 (12.2%)

Terri

F**k the idiots that didn't understand the process and f**k obama for thinking he is the god of tv anyway. Is he in charge of the country or the networks? POC.

January 26 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DOCC OCC

I work for the cable company & keep seeing customers coming into the office with either the coupons or the dtv converters. What people don't understand is the coupons come from our taxes so you are still paying for it.

January 11 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The government has done such a bang up job with this I can't wait until they get their hands on my healtcare.

January 11 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Obama should have informed everyone in his informercial.

January 11 2009 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Schrantz

Yes, I'm ready. The thing I'm not looking forward to is in however-many years when the cable companies decide to shut off analog cable, double our monthly bill, and make my Series 2 TiVos into bricks. I guess then I won't be ready.

January 09 2009 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I am not ready. I am younger, mind you, but my $20 second-hand, 2-decade old analog TV with rabbit ears works just terrifically. And I really think this whole business with switching to digital is just spy business, anyways.
That said, I took in my coupons and spent $$$ (okay, maybe $$) on 2 digital converters (apparently, one for my Antenna to TV, but also another for my VCR to TV or something like that). Yes, I still own a whole separate VCR box and still record on VHS, and my TV doesn't have AV (red white yellow) connection, so I still connect my antenna to VCR to TV and DVD to VCR to get by.
What I am saying is this: I can get by on my status-quo, but since I spent $$ on these 2 digital converters, if they are not doing it anymore, can I return their thing so I can get my money back?
PS: Maybe sometime this year, I will move forward to the 21st century. Maybe.

January 09 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey

I wasn't suggesting that delaying the digital transition was a good idea; I was merely suggesting that a little more sympathy for those who are not ready and a little less sarcasm and condescension might be in order. But I suppose that's a bit much to expect from some people, especially in anonymous blog comments. Lesson learned.

January 09 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tracey's comment
Butters

No, tracey, it was just that your comments were ridiculous.

January 09 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

The fastest way for the uneducated to learn is to make the transition already. Perhaps the consumer doesn't know how to hook up the converter box now, but once they have no choice, they'll learn how to do it very quickly (or they'll pay someone from Best Buy's Geek Squad to do it for them.)

January 09 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
banderweir

This is not that big of a deal. When something in your home breaks or needs updated and you can't do it yourself, just call someone who can. If the toilet clogs up, call a plumber. If the air conditioner quits, call an electrician. If you can't install a converter box, call someone who can. I bet there is a 15-25 year old kid living near anyone who can't do it themself who would be more than happy to come do it for $5 or $10.
Meanwhile, the switch to DTV just gets pushed back farther and farther, as the technology gets older and older...

January 09 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

So much for "Change" and "Yes We Can!"

January 09 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply