November 26, 2014

TNT adds two series to its lineup

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 8th 2009 2:07PM
TNTTNT is furthering its investment in original drama by adding two new shows to its programming, increasing the number of original hour-long dramas they offer to seven. The first new show is The Line, a cop drama produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and starring Dylan McDermott. The second is a medical drama called Time Heals starring Jada Pinkett Smith.

This seems to me an example of a trickle-down effect. Due to the Internet and video-on-demand, reruns simply don't work anymore in keeping a network in business. Original drama worked so well for premium networks such as HBO and Showtime that standard cable stations such as AMC, TNT and several others took it upon themselves to do the same.

I guess Leverage is such a winner for the network that it can afford to add to its line-up. At this rate, there is going to be too much original television offered weekly for a human being to possibly keep up (if there isn't already), which is why video-on-demand was invented in the first place.

DK

The Line... The Wire... hmm...

January 08 2009 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

As broadcast networks program more reality and talk shows (witness NBC), they degrade into third-rate cable networks. On the other hand, cable networks are programming more and more original, first-run dramas and comedies. I just hope they can go for something a little more creative than these two--one more medical drama and one more cop drama. So far, the variety of scripted shows on cable is better than that on broadcast TV.

As far as there being too much for any one viewer? Not if you remove the reality/talk dreck, and stick to the best of the scripted shows.

January 08 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I'm not sure a agree with the internet theory. I think original programing is just a natural progression for a cable network to excel.

January 08 2009 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ryan's comment
Jimmy

I agree. You can only get so much out constantly airing repeats of decade old Law & Order episodes. I don't think the cable networls can support the broadcast model of original program 6 nights a week, but a dozen or so good shows spread throughout the year is sustainable and profitable.

January 08 2009 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

does that mean the ray romano show is all but dust then? i kept reading they would pick up two shows at a max, or is the talk of that show really possible too?

i was looking forward to a new romano show :-(

January 08 2009 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Disapointing. Another cop drama. Hopefully it will be more about the people than the crimes. I really can't take another procedural. The Ray Romano Pilot sounded very promising. I heard they haven't ruled it out as an addition at a later time. It's unfortunate because it sounded different than any other show on TV right now which is not what I can say for these two.

January 08 2009 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply