October 31, 2014

Can the Celebrity Apprentice succeed when there's no writers' strike?

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 9th 2009 1:03PM
Celeb Apprentice 2Yesterday, NBC revealed the cast for the second edition of Celebrity Apprentice, an announcement that had been made in October but somehow kept under wraps by the press until now. How did that happen? Well, my guess is that the press got a look at the names of the "celebrities" on the list and determined that they weren't leak-worthy.

I mean, really ... Dennis Rodman? Dice Clay? Tom Green? Joan and Melissa Rivers? A Kardashian sister that isn't Kim? No wonder why the only people who leaked the news were Letterman and Conan; they cast is barely even worthy of late-night monologue scorn.

Here's the thing, though: last year's cast didn't exactly have much in the way of celebrity juice either, but the show did well in the ratings, especially as the final showdown between Piers Morgan and Trace Adkins approached. But there was a writers' strike going on at the time, and there was little else to watch.

Now that there's a full slate of shows on the air -- especially during the show's new Sunday timeslot -- does anyone think that Trump and company even stand a chance? I don't think so ... but I didn't think anyone would watch American Idol either...

mike

I always thought big headed Trump was full of himself tonight 04/05/09 he proved it. You fired Khloe because she made a mistake. (DUI) Clint did a terrible job he should have been fired. Trump you said you have no respect for people that drink and drive but last week you said you respect and love Dennis oh I forgot like you he has someone drive him every where he wants to go. Well I think you went over the line telling your television audience about Khloe's problem. Then you want the model to parade in front of you in the board room. All of your casinos serve free alcohol so they could lose more money for you I doubt they have someone to drive them home. I guess you don't respect your customers. I watched my last apprentice show. Maybe Rosie was right about you...

April 06 2009 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hd0098

Dice Clay acts like a little bitch!!

March 01 2009 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Addison

Wow!...What a great celebrity lineup.Talk about extremes;from Joan Rivers to Jesse James.Really looking forward to this season.I'm sure the ratings will soar.Good going Trump and crew.Can't wait to see it!

February 24 2009 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

It's going to be one heavy raunch-fest. That censor button is going to go overload once Andrew Dice Clay, Joan Rivers and Dennis Rodman appear on that show. Maybe Donald Trump wanted a controversial element and angle to this show. But does he have to go to excessive,decadent extremes with getting some of these celebrities? Somehow, some young professionals that had wanted to be on Apprentice is probably shaking his or her head as to why they were left out of the Apprentice's season plans. I liked his other format better--it got some young people some opportunties not just for Donald's organization, but other companies' executives and presidents that saw them on the TV show and signed them.

January 17 2009 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

I guess Donnie needs this show around to keep a income flow to pay off his debts. Or will he default on more and just pay a few cents on every dollar again?

January 10 2009 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I hope Rodman I wins. I have not heard about him in some time so I really hope He wins. Even though I will not be watching this show Rodman sounds like the only good one and I think a lot of people will want him to win so for this show to survive they will need Rodman to stay around.

January 09 2009 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

These people are probably actually C-D list, which is better than Dancing with the stars usually has. Why don't you criticize them?

January 09 2009 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

T-Boz FTW!

January 09 2009 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Donald Trump should pay for this by having Dennis Rodman win the competition.

January 09 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

A really second rate cast. I doubt many will watch.

January 09 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff N.'s comment
Mags

Even the Donald didn't feel it was worth yelling about. Rough year for him!

January 11 2009 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply