December 17, 2014

Flight of the Conchords man up for Time Out

by Mike Moody, posted Jan 9th 2009 2:33PM
flight of the conchords time out cover

My apologies to Flight of the Conchords. Being a heterosexual dude, I'm not too turned on by the Hasselhoff-eclipsing manliness Bret and Jemaine have apparently been hiding under all that hipster garb. I do applaud the duo for doing this photo shoot, though. They've shattered the idea that all city-dwelling indie dudes have to look like Conor Oberst. Now I can show off my TV on the Radio T-shirt and my awesome biceps with pride.

Yes, these are the actual covers of the latest issue of Time Out New York and not some obsessive fan girl's Photoshop fantasy (unless the Time Out page designer is an obsessive FotC fan girl). I was already excited about the Conchords return to HBO, and now this has me counting the days until their show premieres on January 18. I do have one question, though: Why no topless Murray?

In the Time Out interview, the Conchords talk about being compared to Tenacious D (that other comedic rock band that once scored an HBO show). The duo said The D's Kyle Gass once called them a "skinnier version" of Tenacious D. Interesting. One commenter on Time Out's site said they're more like a "funny" version of Tenacious D.

I love both bands, and I'm not about to decide who's funnier (or beefier), but I will say this – Bret's got the oiliest bod of them all. Easily.

Adam

No Murray because we already got to see him topless in the show, when he and Mel had the fanbase meeting.

January 12 2009 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

You guys do realize that this is a satirical and photoshopped spoof-cover right? Time Out is a travel/lifestyle magazine, not a workout magazine, as the cover would suggest. Sometimes professional magazine's don't use the exact image of the person on the cover, those times are called 'always,' this magazine is clearly making fun of that.

January 09 2009 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Argus's comment
TeenWolfie

Um. Duh ... Respectfully.

January 09 2009 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mags

It's an easy mistake to make.

January 11 2009 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

I like them even more now....what a great move!

--Tenacious D never really did anything for me (and I love Jack Black) Their movie was so unfunny

January 09 2009 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply