December 20, 2014

Here's who won tonight at The Golden Globes

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 11th 2009 11:29PM
Golden Globes

The Golden Globes really is one of the more interesting award shows. Oscar has mostly movie people, Grammy has mostly music people, and Emmy has mostly TV people. It's rather fun and a different dynamic to have the movie and TV people all mixing together on one place. That's how we can have an E! red carpet scene like The Dark Knight's Aaron Eckhart asking Desperate Housewives' Eva Longoria if she's been drinking. TV-wise, it was also great to see Miley Cyrus come up to talk to Ryan Seacrest right after that Jonas kid and see them not talk to each other. Funny to see dad Billy Ray talk to him though. I think he said "stay away from my daughter."

The awards show is over. I'm sure the drinking and eating and dancing and fornicating is still going on as I type this, but the show itself is now history. Here's a list of the major TV winners, some notes on who got snubbed, as well as a few observations on what went down tonight.

Mad Men

Best Drama - Mad Men. It's the only award they won tonight, but it's the important one. And yes, Matthew Weiner was there to accept the award on stage. The show has been off the air and out of our minds for months now so it's great to see the cast all together again.

Best Musical or Comedy - 30 Rock

Gabriel ByrneBest Actor Drama - Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment). Hmmmm...kind of surprised that he got this (not that he's not a good actor), considering the other nominees, including Jon Hamm, Michael C. Hall, Hugh Laurie, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers. And of course he was the only nominee not at the show.

Best Actress Drama - Anna Paquin (True Blood)

Best Actor Musical or Comedy - Alec Baldwin (30 Rock). No surprise at all, and he really does deserve it. That clip they showed of David Duchovny in Californication was rather odd considering what happened to him this year.

Best Actress Musical or Comedy - Tina Fey (30 Rock). Ah, this is good. They get all three of the awards (Best Comedy, Best Actor and Actress in a Comedy). Something tells me this show is going to be around for a while after all.

Fey and Baldwin

Best Supporting Actor - Tom Wilkinson (John Adams)

Best Supporting Actress - Laura Dern (Recount)

Best Miniseries/TV Movie - John Adams. Adams couldn't be here tonight so the award was accepted by producer Tom Hanks.

Best Actor Miniseries/TV Movie - Paul Giamatti (John Adams).

Laura LinneyBest Actress Miniseries/TV Movie - Laura Linney (John Adams). I think a lot of people were looking for one TV show or a movie to sort of sweep the awards, but I'm not sure how many people picked John Adams to be one of the major stories of the night.

Best Presenter - Ricky Gervais. Yet again. Part of me wants him to host an awards show at some point, the other part of me wonders if his bits are better in small amounts when he presents.

Best Acceptance Speech(es): Gotta be Tina Fey (with her calling out internet haters) and Tracy Morgan. "Deal with it Cate Blanchett!" "Lorney Mikes." And Baldwin coming in to remind him to thank Jeff Zucker was perfect.

Most Awkward Moment - Nancy O'Dell on the red carpet, asking Tiki Barber who he'd like to see win. When he said Heath Ledger, she said "that's a very political answer."

Best Facial Hair - Tony Shalhoub and Sting (tie).

Most Extreme Makeover - Was that really Seth Rogen?!?

Check out AOL's Golden Globes coverage for more winners, photos, videos, and behind the scenes scoopage. Oh, and the fashions, of course.

Mitch

30 Rock can continue to win all the awards but no one wants to watch it becasue its not funny and neither is Alec Baldwin.

January 12 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zagnut

House was robbed!

January 12 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennieO

Why do they keep asking Cameron Diaz to be a presenter at awards shows? She's consistently awful. And Dustin Hoffman should have removed the stick before getting up there.

Very glad for 30 Rock. Tina Fey should get an award for being so good at award acceptance speeches.

January 12 2009 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The only shocker was Gabriel Byrne.

My post on 12/11/08: "Bet your life on Mad Men, 30 Rock, Recount and John Adams in all respective categories. The only one Mad Men might not win is Best Actress, as much I loves me some January Jones."

January 12 2009 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Having watched Ricky Gervais's stand-up special on HBO recently, I think he's got the chops to do a hosting gig. Very funny when he's just being himself.

Oh, and as a west-coaster, thanks for avoiding above-the-jump spoilers. I'm not watching the awards (or I wouldn't be reading this), but they are still on the air here as I type.

January 12 2009 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Survivor Ray

Michael Hall was robbed, it was Dexter's year and they got shut out!

January 12 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Survivor Ray's comment
Dan

100% with you on this. Dexter is the best drama on TV.

January 12 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Slumdog!!! The one movie that hasn't even ran a TV trailer! Oh please please please go see it, and I hope the folks at Cinematical agree with me

January 12 2009 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Katie's comment
Monkeydog

What are you talking about?

I see Slumdog commercials all the time. Which makes me so happy inside because the trailers had Sigur Ros' Hoppipolla playing in the background. Which makes it one of my two favourite commercials at the moment, the other one being the Prince of Persia commercial with Sigur Ros' Seaglopur playing in the background.

January 12 2009 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Lots of sweeps tonight. Not only John Adams and 30 Rock, but also the wonderful Slumdog Millionaire AND the magnificent Kate Winslet.

Now time to watch my recorded 24. Hee.

January 11 2009 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I was so glad to see True blood pick up something. Anna totally deserved that win.

January 11 2009 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply