September 1, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Connect! Connect!

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jan 12th 2009 3:18AM
(S05E12) Can I say how glad I am that this show has finally deigned to confirm Dave's motives? As soon as it was revealed at the beginning of the season that he was just hiding out on Wisteria Lane so he could exact revenge on the person who ruined his life, I knew that it was his wife and daughter that died in the car accident. I don't think my skills of deduction are any better than anyone else's, so the fact that it took 12 episodes to officially say, "yes, this is Dave's plan," is just kind of annoying.

Now that we're done with the charade, I'm excited. I feel like we can really get to the business of what the revenge will entail, which is what I'm here for.

Let's face it: Katherine has become superfluous. I wasn't too excited when she and Mike got together, but now it all makes sense: That's going to be Dave's revenge. Mike is falling in love with her, and Dave is completely bonkers, so Dave is going to murder her. That kills, like three birds with one stone, and I'm all for it.

I will say, this episode made me feel sorry for Edie. I've always kind of felt sorry for her -- the other women kick her around way too much for no real reason -- but this episode made me feel even sorrier for her. She's not a bad person, and to paraphrase what she told Dave, she's ready for a happy ending; I'm just sorry her husband is too much of a crazy cuckoo pants to give it to her.

At least the Scavos got a happy ending this week. Now that the judge has thrown out the case against Porter, is this whole storyline over? Will it be forgotten and never spoken about again, or will the authorities actually try to find out who really started the fire? I hope they actually continue this and dig deeper instead of making it one of Desperate Housewives' many dropped storylines.

Speaking of things that annoy me about this show, the whole "Susan and Jackson moving in together" storyline bothers me. I understand that things had to be rejiggered after Gale Harold's unfortunate motorcycle accident, but come on. Susan apparently has a five-year-old son (although no one ever sees him), yet she's just going to up and move in with her boyfriend? Has she talked to Mike about this? Isn't there a custody agreement? Usually those things have clauses that address cohabitation. The whole thing was ridiculous. We knew that she wasn't going to move in with him, so the whole thing was just a waste of time.

Another waste of time was the Gaby storyline. We all knew that forcing Carlos to take that job was going to come back to bite her in the ass. What I did find amusing was the fact that she seemed to be taking a page out of the Lynette Scavo "Scar your children for life" book of motherhood by hiring that giant scary dude to come yell at her kids. Maybe I'll start hiring strangers off the street to help me with my kid.

So, my favorite part of this episode? The whole Bree and Alex exchange. Watching Bree dismiss Orson's negotiating abilities was painful, but not nearly as cringeworthy as Alex dressing her down. The whole thing was so awkward and uncomfortable ... and a lot of fun. I kind of hope Bree and Alex become best friends after this.

So what do you think? Are you as annoyed with Susan as I am, or am I overreacting? What do you think Dave's evil plan is? Feel free to post in the comments.

Jimmy

Not much new to add other than agree with your assessments. Dana Delany is wasted this season and she is far too talented for this crappy storyline we already know will end with Mike and Susan getting back together. That is, unless someone finally kills one of them, which would be a good thing. My vote is for Susan.

The Scavos are beyond redemption in my opinion -- at least in terms of story. Tom is worthless, the kids are boring, and Lynette is the worst mother on the block. What kind of parent, regardless of the reason, fakes a deadly accident. Then the judge just drops the charges. How lame on the part of the writers. Do they just get tired of plots and decide to just drop them for the hell of it?! They have totally squandered the re-boot they sought with a 5-year jump. They're back to the same old boring crap they tried to jettison from last year.

January 12 2009 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Kona I agree with each of your statements 100%

I think Rob might be the only one who didn't see the Dave motive coming (sorry, no offense Rob, but most of us were discussing that here the first time Dave popped up - the storylines did not set up any other viable alternative - especially as to why he was so dead set on befriending Mike)

Gabby's kids are so unlikeable, and I agree - I also liked the Scavo kids even though they too were unsufferable. Maybe because the Scavos were cute and impish while the Solices are just obnoxious and manipulating.

I really hope they don't just drop the Porter/ fire storyline. That would be such a waste. As it is, they glossed over it way too quickly last night.

January 12 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I agree that it's about time the show made it a concrete plot that Dave is looking to repay Mike, but I think you're giving people too much credit when you say that it's been obvious almost all season. They really started connecting the dots when Dave visited the grave of his wife and child, and if you noticed it before then, congrats, because they hadn't dropped too many hints. Obviously the stuff at the beginning of the season, recapping the accident, you had to know that it wasn't just randomness, but you drew a lot of connections a lot sooner than most probably did.

If they have Dave focus on Katherine, then that's a bit too lame for me. Dave saved Mike from the fire because he wanted him to suffer, and honestly, I don't think Katherine should be considered a viable replacement for Mike's son and Susan.

Katherine has become superfluous, but as another person mentioned, that is a disappointment, because she does have plenty to offer.

This episode didn't make me feel sorry for Edie at all. She's really mean to almost everyone, and I'm surprised they're still friends with her at this point. This episode definitely aimed itself at making her a sympathetic character, and I'm sure a lot of people went for it, but to me, it seems like this should be a much longer process that takes all season. And if they do that, they should have someone else become the antagonist of Wisteria Lane, because that's what the best stories are made from.

I've lost interest in the Scavos almost completely. I used to feel bad for Lynette in previous seasons, but she's gone off the deep end. Now I dislike her character just as much as I've grown to dislike Tom. I'm disappointed in the writers regarding a lot of the stuff going on concerning Porter / the nightclub burning down. I do think the authorities will actually try to find out who really started the fire, and it'll play a big role in the Dave "Williams" / Mike Delfino storyline. I don't think they can affort to make it a dropped storyline.

The whole Brie / Alex dynamic is probably the best part of this season right now, because it's really giving more depth to Brie.

Keep up the good work Kona!

January 12 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

"the other women kick her around way too much for no reason..." in regards to Edie?! are you kidding me? not only has she tried to sleep with most of the main characters' boyfriends/husbands, she has done it so conspicuously. if anything, her character should be kept around just to be kicked around.

i do agree about the silly Susan storyline. but i've always thought the kids on this show were an afterthought. there are so many more ways the kids could be used, and they havent been doing a great job of using them since the whole five year jump.

January 12 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Gabe's girls are, in reality, just like her! I would hate to lose Susan, but never liked Jackson. And, I totally agree about wasting good talent.
I was very happy to finally see something good happen with the Scavo's. They are the only real family trying to make it together and everything seems to keep happening to them. Hope the world quits picking on them.

January 12 2009 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennieO

I agree that Katherine is just an afterthought at this point, and I think it's a shame. They wasted Dana Delaney like they wasted Alfre Woodard and it should be some kind of crime.

Loved the huge scary guy, but why are Gaby's kids so completely unlikeable? I loved all the little bratty Scavos, so I don't think it's me.

Hate Susan. Hate Jackson. Move in together somewhere in Europe, and send postcards the wives can read out loud to each other.

Love Bree. Love Andrew and Orson and Fiance.

January 12 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply