November 23, 2014

Rourke's Globes speech makes NBC's censors' heads explode - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 12th 2009 8:36AM
Mickey Rourke at the Golden GlobesSee that picture to the right? That's Mickey Rourke accepting his Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama for The Wrestler... with his hand down his pants. But that's just the beginning of the fun we heard and saw during his acceptance speech, which I'm sure made the steam come out of the ears of NBC's standards and practices folks.

Suffice to say, Rourke made the most interesting speech of the night. And by "interesting," I'm not even talking about his striped hair or the beard that makes his boxing-worn face look even weirder. No, all he had to do was open his mouth. He said the word "balls" twice, and then said something else that sounded like it was beeped.

Finally, he affectionately called his Wrestler director, Darren Aronofsky, a "tough son of a bitch," prompting Aronofsky to kiddingly flip Rourke the finger... on camera.

Not sure if Aronofsky has ever seen an awards show before, because he didn't seem to have any inkling he might be on camera. Maybe he thought that feed on the big screens next to the stage was just for the ballroom. But there it was, Aronofsky's finger, un-blurred, prominently featured on camera on network TV.

There must have been some sort of delay on the broadcast, but it probably couldn't have caught up to everything that was going on during that speech. So, did NBC just say to themselves, "screw it, the FCC isn't going to touch us anymore now that Bush is gone," or did you really think they were pooping in their pants during the speech?

I'm guessing it's the former, because the speech is on NBC.com exactly as it aired. It's below. Now the Academy has to give Rourke a nomination; I want to see what he says if he wins an Oscar.

Jake

Mickey rourke is awesome and his speech was awesome, so shove that crap up your ass!

January 15 2009 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jlw82662

Regardless of the typo's and other clerical errors, I'm just happy someone gave poor Old Mickey a chance.
Way to go Mickey!

January 14 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Watched the speech, central time. Loved it. Loved that FCC did not get in way this time, this zone.

January 12 2009 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

Sure Jimmy...

January 12 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

That speech was one of the highlights of the night for me, if only because you know it was making a lot of people very uncomfortable.

January 12 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Televixen

I was watching the East Coast Feed as well, and not only saw Mickey Rourke's full speech, I also witnessed producer Christian Colson (who accepted the Top award for Slumdog Millionaire) drop the F-bomb when they started playing music over his acceptance speech.

January 12 2009 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

I watched the West Coast feed with my wife and they majorly censored Rourkes speech. At one point the screen went blank for 5 seconds, this was at exactly the time when Rourke swore and Aronofsky gave the middle finger a workout. We assumed that it was some sort of censorship but didn't know for sure until I read this post. I also noted that NBC censored a couple of other winners as well although they only cut the sound when they swore, the picture remained.

Also to the idiots who criticized Joel for a mistake, you should all really get lives. Everybody makes mistakes but he corrected it as soon as it was pointed out to him. Now if he refused to admit his mistake, or correct it, then I would be right their with you with my concerns. Nobody likes idiots hanging over their shoulders and waiting for every opportunity to criticize them for every little mistake but I guess JimBOss and Jimmy are just two sad little people with too much time on their hands. Also seems strange that their names are similar. Hmmm.

January 12 2009 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Butters's comment
Jim

For the record, I am not JimBOss. I have posted here for several years and have more than 1,100 comments -- most positive, but a few negative -- credited as "Jimmy."

January 12 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Don't mind the haters Joel, this is not really a story where accuracy is necessary.

For my part it should be about the fact that this is a story at all. Stuff like this is... well I don't know. I think it's really laughable that there are censors in the US for profanity but not gore. I myself don't think a child's psyche is endangered by the f-word.

Oh and I don't think that god directly talks to George W. either.

Next stop: hands getting chopped of for stealing.

January 12 2009 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

It's glaring mistakes like this that often make it hard to take TV Squad seriously.

January 12 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
8 replies to Jim's comment
Bill

Over on SVU we have weekly graphic discourse on rape/torture/murder........so ya lets all make a big deal about a human finger being pointed upwards.

January 12 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply