July 24, 2014

Bruce and Cybill are up for a Moonlighting movie

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 13th 2009 6:08PM
Bruce and CybillIf you were to make a list of the TV shows from the '80s you could bet wouldn't come back as a reunion movie, ABC's Moonlighting is one of them. Not only is the show 20 years old, but there was constant tension/problems/fights/delays on the set of the show (sometimes Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd weren't even speaking to each other, except in scenes as Dave and Maddie), and when it ended Willis went on to a major big-screen movie career and you'd think he wouldn't want to look back on some TV show he did in 1986. But you'd be wrong.

Liz Smith reports that Willis and Shepherd ran into each other at an Encino deli (probably the last place I would think they would run into), and they were quite happy to see each other, even getting a little teary-eyed talking about old times. They're both up for a reunion movie (this year marks the 20th anniversary of the show's end), but they'll only do it if creator/producer Glenn Gordon Caron is in charge of the show again.

Glenn is currently doing Medium, and before that created Now and Again, which I really liked and should have stayed around a lot longer than it did.

tuesday

Moonlighting was ABSOLUTELY one of television's GREATEST shows ever. If they make a Moonlighting movie starring Bruce and Cybill, it will definitely be a HUGE HIT at the box office, and they'll both win Oscars. No two actors have ever been able to act so superbly as a team as those two. What a seriously delicious treat a Moonlighting movie would be --- I can't wait!!!

January 20 2009 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

Hatching an idea for a project is something that happens in Southern California every second of every day. This doesn't even come close to sounding like a reality. Two actors waxing nostalgic shouldn't send the rumor mills into a frenzy.

January 15 2009 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Has anyone else noticed that Bruce Willis has utterly lost his funny the way that he used to do on Moonlighting? Seriously, it's like watching a different guy when you look at the DVD's now. Can he really pull that off any more?

January 14 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DONALD OLSZEWSKI

I could see it happening since they all worked on the dvd commentaries together and those are just a few years old. I wonder if Ms Dipesto would go more urban with her rhymes when the phone rings :)

January 14 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Um, yay? I'm of two minds. Part of me is against it since I hated the final seasons of Moonlighting. And since the Indiana Jones franchise didn't go well, I don't want anyone disturbing the grave if the corpse is already beautiful.

Then again, the production staff/writers/actors must've learned from their mistakes and should, hopefully, know what to do now. While on a superficial level, Bruce W is approaching hair plugs and Cybil S. looks kinda Kathleen Turner-ish, both are still totally working it. So, here's to 1985 . . .

January 14 2009 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

They just gotta have Booger in it if they do it.

January 13 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Damn, you just put a smile on my face.

No wait, it's just this white russian I'm drinking. That's what did it. But still, this is great news! :)

January 13 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joeedwards

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/55353/yippie-kay-ah-mf A Moonlighting movie would be awesome with Bruce Willis. I can't wait!

January 13 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Considering Cybill got Glenn Gordon Caron fired from his own show, I'm a little skeptical, but then 20 years of relative obscurity can make one think.

January 13 2009 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mo

I would go absolutely nuts for a Moonlighting movie. It was one of my absolute favorite shows of all time. A lot of people don't realize just how groundbreaking that show was in respect to how it was filmed, some of the gags used, and what it did for the detective genre (a lot of people forget that it was really a detective show).

Awesome