April 23, 2014

Could Pushing Daisies wind up as a movie?

by Allison Waldman, posted Jan 14th 2009 2:03PM
PDaisiesI don't know about you, but when creator Bryan Fuller talked about concluding all the story threads from Pushing Daisies as a comic book, I was less than enthused. Now, however, I've got renewed hope.

No, ABC is not even mentioning bringing Daisies back. They're not even committing to broadcasting the last few episodes. But Kristin Chenoweth thinks Pushing Daisies might be a movie. That's right, the show could/would/should be wrapped up as a movie in her estimation.

The ebullient Ms. Chenoweth, who's already onto her next project -- the pilot for a new TV series, Legally Mad, in which she stars as a psycho lawyer named Skippy Pylon -- told TVGuide.com that Bryan Fuller has a great idea for bringing Pushing Daisies to a happy ending as a film.

He didn't say it would be a happy ending, I'm just assuming that something as fable-like and magical as PD couldn't end with tears and sorrow. Sure, there's death, but that's not a barrier in Ned's adventure.

Anyway, according to Kristin, even if ABC deigns to air the last episodes of Pushing Daisies that are in the can, there will still be unanswered questions. That's why Kristin thinks a movie would be optimum. She's also optimistic that Ned, Emerson, Lily, Vivian, and Chuck -- that is, Lee Pace, Chi McBride, Swoozie Kurtz, Ellen Greene and Anna Friel -- would all agree to take part. Olive, too. Certain guest stars would also be included, Paul Reubens in particular.

With Barry Sonnenfeld one of the executive producers of Pushing Daisies, that's Barry the movie director of Men in Black, Addams Family Values among others, maybe PD could transition to the big screen?

Jason

WHY OH WHY does ABC, whose parent company is the Walt Disney Corporation, maker of dreams and bringer of fantasy to reality, have to make me so sad and unhappy and crash my fantasy land that is Pushing Daisies?

Pushing Daisies was only crippled because of the stupid writer's strike, which ABC helped to make happen, because they wouldn't re-air Pushing Daisies once the strike was all over; they had to wait forever a day. And now, they don't even give it the chance to recover...perhaps many people didn't know it had re-emerged from it's shelf, where ABC stuck it until they were good and ready to to do something with it again.

ABC (and Disney for that matter), YOU SUCK!

January 20 2009 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Ohmygod!ohmygod!ohmygod! This is ridiculously good news. Here's hoping it builds momentum.
- izi

January 14 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

A "Pushing Daisies" big screen adventure would be fantastic. I just hope the studios know it won't make much money. The hardcore fans will eat it up (get it?) but it won't be number one at the box office. Remember "Serenity"? So just as long as they go into the movie knowing its just for the fans who love the show and not try to make it "accessible" (I hate that word) to the non fans, I wouldn't mind it at all, but the first commenter makes a good point, do most film companies want to put out a film they know will mostly by box-office standards bomb?

January 14 2009 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Oh yeah, like this is ever going to happen. At least not on ABC. You know, the network that cancelled this unique gem and won't even commit to airing the remaining episodes.

January 14 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

Comics are iffy....they say it works for Buffy, but maybe not for PD. I would love a movie, big screen or made for tv doesn't matter. I just want some closure...and for ABC to show some respect and air the final episodes before I start resenting them like FOX.

January 14 2009 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Key Rick

Really? Being fantasy/sci-fi-ish, I was sure it would premiere between the Invasion movie and the Surface movie.

January 14 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

I do hear its due out the week before the Veronica Mars and Arrested Development movies and a few weeks prior to the Friends movie.

January 14 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Ashley Boyd's comment
segsig

A PD movie would be made of awesome! I like that idea a heck of a lot better than comic books, but I was going to actually get those.

January 14 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply