November 26, 2014

Patrick McGoohan dead at 80 - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 14th 2009 1:11PM
McGoohanJust the other night I was watching the Simpsons episode "The Computer Wore Menace Shoes." It featured a spoof of The Prisoner, and Patrick McGoohan even reprised his role as Number 6 in the episode. McGoohan didn't do a ton of television, so it was really cool that he decided to lend his voice to the episode. I wonder how many fans of the Simpsons had no idea what the references in the show even meant and were just confused by it all.

McGoohan died in Los Angeles yesterday at age 80.

He was a guest on a lot of TV shows too, including Columbo (he seemed to be the killer an awful lot, didn't he?), Murder, She Wrote, Danger Man, and Rafferty. McGoohan also directed several episodes of Columbo (winning some Emmys) along with many episodes of The Prisoner and other shows. He also appeared in movies such as Braveheart, A Time To Kill, Scanners, Silver Streak, Ice Station Zebra, and Escape From Alcatraz.

I wonder if McGoohan got to see any of the footage from the Prisoner remake that is going to debut on AMC later this season. It would be nice to think that he saw some of the new miniseries starring Ian McKellan and Jim Caviezel. McGoohan was rumored to have a cameo in the miniseries but I'm not sure if he had a chance to film it or not.

I've said this before and unfortunately I'll be saying it again: all of the classic TV stars are dying. Inevitable, yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't really, really sad.

AMC has all of the Prisoner episodes on their site.

Jeff N.

Didn't he play the Scarecrow on The Wonderful World of Disney sometime back in the 1960's? Does anybody remember that?

January 15 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

His role in "The Prisoner" is a hall of fame classic. I wonder if he had a death bed confessional - why did his character resign from British intelligence ?

January 14 2009 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

'The Prisoner' has always been my favorite show, and McGoohan one of my favorite actors. Nobody could give such twisted inflections to their line readings as he could. Just the simple "I know." from the 'Columbo' episode "Identity Crisis" has always been a treat.

But my favorite line of his comes from the movie "Silver Streak":

"Do try the marmalade. The Silver Streak may have its faults, but they have an excellent cuisine."

Rest in Peace, Sir. And thank you.

January 14 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Thanks for the shows PG. RIP.
I grew up watching Danger Man and Prisoner and the Avengers and such shows.

January 14 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ambrose Chapel

Be seeing you Patrick... RIP

January 14 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark perna

Secret Agent was the American title of the British Danger Man show. It was the same show though. It was a 30 minute show for a few seasons and then expanded to a 60 minute running time. The 60 minute shows were imported to America as Secret Agent with a new title sequence and the Johnny Rivers theme song. And, yes, they were seriously good TV. They hold up now.

January 14 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuman714 from Indy

Not to forget his role in Secret Agent in the mid 60s.
RIP to you sir, you will be missed.

January 14 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply