November 28, 2014

Details of Poehler's Office "spin-off" finally revealed

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 15th 2009 11:33AM
Amy PoehlerFor a variety of reasons, I decided to not go to the Winter edition of the TCA press tour. So far, my choice to stay in frigid Jersey has been justified; not much in the way of big news has come out of the tour, and it seems like the networks are very happy about that.

However, if I was there, I would have apparently received the pilot script to the new Amy Poehler-led sitcom that's being written and produced by the folks from The Office, as Rob Owen of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette did yesterday. He revealed some details about what the show's going to be about, and they're... interesting.

The show will be shot documentary-style like The Office. In it, Poehler plays Leslie Knope, who is, according to Owen, a "mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana." She works with a local nurse (Rashida Jones) to turn a construction site into a park, and has to battle the usual local-government nemeses at every turn, including those "traffic and noise" complainers and a town official (Aziz Ansari). All the while, she's followed by an intern (Aubrey Plaza) that she hopes to inspire.

On first blush, doing a sitcom about the trials and travails of local government doesn't sound like it would be very interesting or funny. But, then again, I'm sure Ricky Gervais got hoots and hollers when he told people he was going to build a sitcom around the daily life of a paper company. With Greg Daniels, Mike Schur, and the rest of the American Office's crew behind it, though, I'm sure it's going to be good.

Now all we need is a name, a premiere date, and a timeslot. I guess those little details will be filled in soon enough.

[via TV Week]

Katie

I didn't want to trash it *too* badly just in case there are some actual fans reading my earlier post, but yes, I agree with DLMdoc

January 15 2009 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

"On first blush, doing a sitcom about the trials and travails of local government doesn't sound like it would be very interesting or funny."

You clearly have never seen local government in action...

January 15 2009 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

It can't be too hard to improve upon the mediocrity of Kath & Kim, so I am looking forward to anything that the Office team creates

January 15 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Katie's comment
Lynn

Mediocrity? You're being generous. That is a bad bad show.

January 15 2009 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BaltimoreGal

Wait... Aziz isn't staying on Scrubs?

January 15 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I guess it would be 'in the style of the office" maybe

January 15 2009 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

if this is supposed to be a spin off, how can Rashida Jones play a completely different character.

January 15 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jeff's comment
Joel Keller

Jeff, that's why I put "spin-off" in quotes. It's going to be the same style as The Office and a lot of the same producers and writers, but the stories won't have anything to do with each other. I've taken to calling it the "spin-off-that's-not-a-spin-off," but that was too big to put in the title.

January 15 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Any word on the air date of the BBC's Merlin show? NBC just says Winter 09.

January 15 2009 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply