July 29, 2014

Yup, they're making a Jericho big-screen movie

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 15th 2009 1:04PM
If According To Jim is the comedy show that will not die, Jericho might be the drama.

The canceled CBS drama (saved by a nut campaign which helped it come back for short second season) is not only airing Sunday nights on The CW (and getting better ratings than some shows the network has had on that night), they're going to make a big-screen movie. Producer Jon Turteltaub tells IfMagazine.com that a feature film is indeed in the works, and that the original cast will be back.

Turteltaub says he plans to make a movie that even non-fans of the show can go to and understand and appreciate. It always scares me producers say stuff like this. I don't want them to make a movie will no reference or allusion to what happened in the show. How will they demonstrate history of the characters and what each character means to another and why this character treats another character a certain way? Not that I believe they can actually do that.

Filmmakers are always saying that they'll do a big-screen version of a film that even non-fans will like, but it usually doesn't work out that way. While a non-fan can like a movie such as last year's X-Files movie without having seen the show, the movie works better if you've seen several episodes of the show. There's an instantaneous "feeling" that fans will get about the characters and what has happened that no non-fan will understand, even if they describe the back story in some way.

Hey, if the movie is popular maybe it will give some network some thought about bringing the show back. Though I wouldn't hold my nuts. I mean breath!

blj1942

WELL FOLKS , LETS FACE IT, WE NO LONGER HAVE AN ACTUAL SAY SO IN ANY TV VIEWING. ALL WE ARE GOING TO BE SEEING IS, REALITY SHOWS, SPORTS, STUPID NONSENSICAL COMEDY'S. SO IN OTHER WORDS GOOD-BYE TO REAL ENJOYABLE TV. YOU OF COURSE CAN ALWAYS WATCH COMMERCIALS THAT SEEM TO BE LONGER THEN THE SHOW ITSELF, SOME OF THEIR COMMERCIALS YOU BETTER HOPE YOUR KIDS ARE NOT WATCHING, BECAUSE I FEEL THEY ARE VERY INAPPROPRIATE FOR THEM TO BE HEARING OR WATCHING. I GUESS THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO SAY ACCEPT, NOW I WILL WAIT FOR MY TV BILL, THAT YOU CAN BE SURE WILL ALWAYS BE ON TIME . SURE WISH ALL THE LAW AND ORDERS WERE BACK, THE SHOW THE UNIT, AND OF COURSE JERICO AND LETS FACE IT, SO MANY MANY MORE. HOPE THERE ARE OTHER'S OUT THERE THAT FEEL THE SAME WAY THAT I DO..

October 02 2011 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam Kay

What a Shame CBS selling nuts to put back Jericho and a little more they were going us make donation for them. Since they stop the season of Jericho I stopped watching CBS this is the only way that they understand. Peoples have to know that it's us who decide what we like not CBS. At the place of the creator of the series I will move Jericho from CBS to FOX.

January 31 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crazykittyzx2

WHAT AWESOME NEWS! Jericho was the best show on tv. It will be great to be able to see all our favorite stars on the big screen. More SKEET! Be still my beating heart. Can't wait.

January 17 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Is this actually going to happen, like others are putting money into this? I do wonder.

I'm not against the idea- I liked the second season even if they killed a favorite of mine off.

I'd imagine Jon Turtletaub has to say stuff like "it'll be accessible to newbies" (why would a newbie watch a Jericho movie?! Really, why?), the way Joss had to say the same for Serenity. Why? The bigwigs will insist on that. Just in case some random drunk fratboy wanders into the wrong theater, dontcha know.

January 16 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

This is good news but, Dude, go back and check some of the grammar in your article.

January 16 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I wonder if this will be a continuation, reboot, or new story that takes place within the first two seasons.

I'd prefer it to be a continuation, where the main plot deals with the second American civil war. There wouldn't need to be much backstory given in the movie, other than to quickly say that America came apart after a series of nuclear explosions destroyed its major cities. I'm thinking the way the Kevin Costner flick The Postman set up its setting is the way to go.

January 16 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
curlybean

If anyone can make Jericho the Movie work, it's Jon Turtletaub. He is amazingly talented and loves the show himself. I know for a fact that new fans are being won over every day, despite what Nielsen ratings show. Jericho is a great show, with lots of story left to tell and deserves to live on. And who wouldn't want to see Jake and Hawkins kicking butt on the big screen?

January 16 2009 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwen

Great news!

I love the idea of a Jericho movie.

Thanks Bob for reporting on it.

Gwen
www.jericho-kansas.com

January 16 2009 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

I'll take anything I can get, though I agree with Hank & Frank that they ended it pretty good. I'd hate to see a poor turnout like The X-Files movie.

I was really hoping we'd see a spinoff set in the Jericho world based on Hawkins and Jake. That'd be kick ass. It'd sorta be hard to bring the show back now.

January 15 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

"...is not only airing Sunday nights on The CW (and getting better ratings than some shows the network has had on that night)..."

If you checked, the ratings for the current repeats of Jericho on the CW isn't exactly stellar, even for the CW's low standards. For example, the number of viewers for this last Sunday was 732,000 and a 0.2% in the 18-49 rating. That makes it the CW's lowest rated show of the night. With ratings like that you'd think the CW was airing a late-night infomercial. I'm surprised this project got the go-ahead. This movie breaking even would be optimistic for the studio.

January 15 2009 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply