September 2, 2014

Amy Ryan bringing Holly back to Michael on The Office

by Jason Hughes, posted Jan 16th 2009 12:02PM
The Office
There's good news for fans of Michael and Holly on The Office, and potentially even better news. When Amy Ryan first stepped in to fill Toby's shoes as the HR rep for the Scranton branch of Dunder-Mifflin, I wasn't sure how well she'd fit with the regular cast. The last time we got a massive infusion of new blood on the show via the branch merger, we wound up losing every one of the new cast members except for Andy (Ed Helms).

But then her wacky synergy with Michael really clicked, and suddenly I was happy for the both of them. And it was genuinely painful when she had to leave. I'm pleased to see that Greg Daniels, who steers The Office ship, really does get it. In the release announcing the return of Amy Ryan to The Office this season, he stated "I don't think she can blow in and out every so often. It would be too hard for [Michael] as a human being." He barely survived her leaving the first time, so it's good to see that Daniels has too much respect for the characters to just bring her in when convenient for ratings, or whatever.

For now, they're trying to get her penciled in for the season finale, but it looks like it's up to her schedule. Beyond that, Daniels seems to really want her back for a more permanent engagement. I guess he likes the story potential of Michael and Holly together, as well. We've done Michael alone and struggling with girls, and we've done him in an incredibly unhealthy tryst with Jan, so maybe it's time to give him some happiness. And it's still Michael, so it's not like the relationship isn't going to be disturbing in its own way.

I know Amy Ryan is big time in feature films and Hollywood, but if she found the time in her schedule for even a season or two of The Office, I think that would be a fantastic "get" for the show. Not just because of her pedigree, but because of what she brought to the show. The chemistry of her character with Michael and really the entire cast was seamless.

As much as I enjoy Toby and the constant and undeserved abuse he gets at the hand of Michael, I was disappointed to see him come back. Hopefully, if they are able to secure a more permanent position for Holly on the show, or in the Scranton office, they can do so without losing Toby. I think Michael works so much better if he has his arch-nemesis nearby. And his lady by his side.

StillBash

So the update on this is what it was before when her stint ended: It'll depend on her schedule.

I love non-news.

Where's your take on Clooney on ER?

January 17 2009 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willmore2000

What if they bring her in for a 6-7 episode arc in which she marries Michael?

I mean, if they are married and she is working elsewhere/staying at home, there's no need to actually feature her on-screen(at all, or maybe once, twice a season), because how often does the wife of your boss actually come to the office? And it would open up a whole new "married" Michael for the writers and Steve to work with.

January 16 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Willmore2000's comment
ac

Willmore I'm liking your idea.

January 16 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

A Michael / Holly wedding episode would be hilarious!

January 16 2009 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

ditto about Toby not being that much more sane... if things were to go down Office Space style, i could see Toby holding the match.

Idris Elba is sexy, but on the Office?

January 16 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

i love holly & michael - i also love the horribleness of michael with toby - i hope they can all stay on the show together!

January 16 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Most of the characters are pretty sane. Toby is pretty subdued (and I like his character overall), but I don't really think he is any more sane than Oscar or Phyllis.

January 16 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I like Holly, but I was thrilled to see Toby back. He's an everyman, and one of the only sane characters on the show. He makes it believable that this is a real office--there's at least an attempt to quash Michael's most bizarre behavior. Otherwise it's just a wacky TV show with little to ground it to reality.

January 16 2009 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Mags

Toby's coming back was worth it even if only for Michael's epic response:

It was practically Shatneresque.

January 18 2009 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colby

Best news I've heard all week!!

January 16 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
filminghiphop

one of Amy's castmates from The Wire, Idris Elba, will also be joining The Office for six epidsodes: http://filminghiphop.com/idris-elba-coming-to-the-office-theaters-near-you/2009/01/16/

January 16 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply