September 22, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: Sympathy for the Devil

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 16th 2009 9:03AM

Tyne Daly and Eric Dane
(S05E12) "You're wearing an alarmingly high pony tail." - Derek

At the most simplified level, Dunn is right, you know - a doctor isn't really that different than a serial killer. They both get to choose who dies. A doctor is likely driven by science while a serial killer gets his marching orders from a little voice in his head, but they're both making choices; doing what they think is the right move. Eric Stoltz has thus far been a shining point this season. William Dunn is one of the better characters we've seen on Grey's Anatomy in a while and I'm glad he'll be around for at least one more week.

My one gripe about Dunn? As engaging as his character is, he's still there for one reason and it's not to save young Jackson's life. He's there to drive a wedge between Derek and Meredith. Of course they're staying together (and it looks like an engagement is coming), but now that it's permanent (I remember reading that somewhere), Dunn is just the first of many tests for Mer and Der. Patients are the only way to add conflict to their relationship now.

He's nothing more than a sounding board for their differences and even though it was painfully obvious, Derek's mother spelled it out for us at the end - Derek sees in black and white and Meredith sees all the colors of the rainbow. And speaking of Derek's mother, what was up with her being nice to Sloan? I have a best friend from home who my mom essentially helped raise and if he ever slept with someone I loved (wife, girlfriend, fiancé - whatever), she'd hunt him down and cut off his head. Mrs. Shepherd? Apparently she's OK with the Sloan/Addison affair and even made some comical "oh, not again" comment when he told her about Lexie. Her attitude didn't really make sense to me.

Moving on, I once again have to gripe about Bailey. She was downright annoying in this episode. Whining about this and that. Why is it OK for her to get too emotionally involved with a patient, but the second anyone else does, she verbally annihilates them? I think I'd like Hunt to be the one to tell her off. We finally got to the root of his issues in this episode (poor guy saw way too much horror in Iraq) and I feel like he could really put Bailey in her place given the right scenario.

Also annoying? Callie's "woe is me" complex. In another "patient mirrors my life" plot, she dealt with a guy who had leg lengthening surgery. Just like him, Callie feels "shorter" after the mess with George and Erica's exit. She said something about how she couldn't take any more disasters and I actually laughed. On this show, apparently if you get romantically linked to Sara Ramirez - you leave. Brooke Smith? Gone. T.R. Knight? Might be leaving. Melissa George? Well, Sadie and Callie haven't hooked up yet, but I'm sure they will. Too bad though, because Melissa George is leaving now too.

Does anyone want to stay on this show?

Apparently not, because one other potential exit got set up in this episode too. Izzie finally realized that she couldn't keep seeing a dead man (finally) and she chose to make the most of her blossoming relationship with Alex. Smart move - I'm all for it. However, the end of the episode ended with the "shocker" we knew was coming. Izzie exited the room, Dennie appeared, sat down next to Alex and said "we gotta talk." Something funky is going on in Izzie's brain and all we've been told by Shonda Rhimes is that it's not a tumor. So what's wrong with her? Any ideas?

On the plus side, if all these characters do indeed leave, at least the title of the show will make sense again.

Grey's Anatomy' Photos

Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of her new public service announcement produced by OTCSafety.org at Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City.

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 24: Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of a new public service announcement for OTCsafety.org at the Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Chandra Wilson

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Actor Patrick Dempsey (R) and wife Jillian Dempsey arrive at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Chandra Wilson and Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine, arrive at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Actress Chandra Wilson arrives at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Steve Granitz/WireImage.com

Actor Patrick Dempsey poss in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

(L-R) Actors Sandra Oh and Patrick Dempsey pose in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

C

I think the reason Derek's mom was so nice to Sloan, was that she was probably thankful that he got Addison away from her son!!!

January 19 2009 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nola

Having raise Mark I'm going to go with the idea that she sees him as a son and regardless of what your kid does to another, if you love them you forgive them. So to me it makes sense for her to still love Sloan. He's her other son. Addison in my opinion would be the woman who came between her sons. I'd completely understand her being testy towards Addison, who drove a wedge between the two best friends.

January 17 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bella

The one thing that bothered me about this episode, well I say the one thing but what I really mean is the one thing that bothered me enough to comment, is the ending between Denny and Alex. We all as an audience know that something is wrong in Isabel's brain, we know that this show is not Jeffery Dean Morgan's other show Supernatural and he's not come back as a ghost. The fact that Denny's only a part of Isabel's sickness makes the end comment from Denny to Alex after Isabel left the room messed up. If he's in Isabel's head then he wouldn't still be in there with Alex after she left the room. It's tiny and nitpicky but they put so much into this storyline the least they could do would be to get it right.

January 17 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

Can I just say how I've missed Tyne Daly on TV. I was a "Judging Amy" fan. She had such great chemistry with Amy Brenneman on that show. I miss that show, and I said that to a friend last week when Amy Brenneman finally started getting a story last week on Private Practice.
Anyways I wish Tyne Daly could have more involvement with the show. I really liked the little bit that she was on - and she looks better than she has in years.

I am liking the story lines with the serial killer and the kid. The Denny stuff I'm still waiting for the pay off.
And god, Sandra Oh is really amazing. Just her looks tonight. And at the end her face said so much that she need not say a word.

And ummmm on a shallow note, Eric Dane is so fu-kin' hot tonight

January 16 2009 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

At this point, the only thing keeping me watching is Christina and Owen. I'm totally into the new Iraq Doc. I think that Kevin McKidd is brilliant. I watched Trainspotting Obsessively and then got seriously hooked on Rome last year. I was so excited to see him on Grey's. The rest of the crap on the show I could do without. I don't care about Miranda, George, Meredeth/Derek...etc. The whole Izzie/McCorpse thing grosses me out. I Fwd all of that to the scenes with Christina. I hope this show gets better. I used to do that with daytime soap operas until I gave up and stopped watching.....

January 16 2009 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

You said it, only Eric Stoltz could make me cringe one moment for this guy, and then kind of feel for him the next. James Spader used to do that for me to, but now he just makes me cringe.

The short guy plot bothered me, I just didn't care about him or his brother, I kept wanting more time with Dereks mom or the serial killer, if they'd just got rid of the short guy it would've been a perfect episode.

January 16 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

Here was the annoying part of the episode to me...

Last week Bailey complains to the Chief about the new Peds specialist, but Richard verbally berates Miranda saying that the new Peds Dr. is brilliant and Miranda needs to back off and let her do her job because she is the best!

This week, when the kid is crashing, the 'brilliant' peds doctor throws out week attempts to save the kid, all of which Bailey dismisses as useless... AND THE SHE-DOCTOR TAKES IT... making it obvious that MIRANDA knows all, trumps every resident, and that's ok!

I love Bailey, but show her as vulnerable occasionally, that's ok!

January 16 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CK

Derek's mom didn't like Addison, if she did she would have given the engagement ring to Derek when he was dating her. She didn't. She's waited this long to give it to someone she thinks deserves Derek and that Derek needs in his life.

I think Derek's mom knows the type of person Sloan is and therefore who could be mad. She mentioned him still being a child. I think she expects nothing of Sloan so when he does something stupid she's not surprised or mad at all. (plus the fact that she probably didn't like Addison to begin with makes a difference in how she reacted to the affair) But she's right, Lexie is right for him and his maturity level...I think being with Lexie might change him a bit...for the good.

January 16 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I never would've thought it (and I'm not a big enough fan of either for it to really matter), but I actually like "Private Practice" more than "Grey's Anatomy" now. Is that wrong of me?

Even the characters being stupid and annoying isn't that problematic with PP, since the characters themselves are so damn endearing. While I couldn't possibly care less about most of the GA characters, I can't say the same for its spin-off. The fact that both shows now air back-to-back has just made this all the more noticeable.

January 16 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Yeah, Mark did break up Derek's marriage, but like Mark said, she practically raised him. Also, I don't get the feeling she liked "Addy" very much in the first place.

January 16 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply