October 31, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Rosario Dawson/Fleet Foxes - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Jan 18th 2009 1:02PM
Rosario Dawson
(S34E13) I don't have much of an opinion on Rosario Dawson. I've seen a few of her movies, like Clerks 2 and Death Proof, but instead of blowing my mind with every film, she's left me in a state of indifference. I'm sure there are plenty of gentlemen here who strongly differ. Sorry, boys.

That said, Dawson did a pretty good job hosting this episode. The writing wasn't particularly exciting, but Dawson's delivery was smooth and very professional. Just like Neil Patrick Harris from the previous week, her enthusiasm was very evident and greatly appreciated. Here are some video highlights from the night.

Cold Open (Cheney):
Oh, wow. This may be the last time we'll ever see Dick Cheney on the show. Does that mean Darrell Hammond can go home now? I like the guy a lot, I'm just worried about him out-Tim Meadows-ing Tim Meadows. Anyway, this sketch was pretty solid. I'm glad they didn't give in and let Cheney do the "Live from New York..." line, because that super-zoom would have given me nightmares.

"Git Mo'": This cracked me up because it was wrong in every way. Wonderfully written.

Digital Short ("A Coupe of Homies"):
I absolutely adore Will Forte's musical work on the show, but this Digital Short was not his best work, nor was it the Lonely Island boys'. I thought they would have done another music video of something from their upcoming album, "Incredibad." It's coming out early next month, after all.

"Aladdin": Funny idea, but not super-creative. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I spent a great deal of my childhood picturing the tragic post-credits downfall of all Disney characters.

"Gilly": This was just bizarre, but I'm not sure if was bizarre in a good way or not. I don't think I've seen Kristen Wiig come so close to breaking character as that final, gun-toting moment in the sketch. I can't wait to see what makes her finally crack.

"La Policia Mexicana": Anyone who has ever taken a foreign language class in high school must have cringed with delight towards the end. My French teacher used to slam her ruler against her metal podium if we spoke in English. Needless to say, I cannot speak French without feeling a trickle of blood running down from my ear.

"Weekend Update": Judy Grimes! It's been a while. I'm glad they didn't just do the same old thing and added a slight twist to the usual formula, just to keep things interesting. As for Andy Samberg's Larry the Goose, I thought it was kind of adorable that they didn't give him a beak but just colored his nose yellow. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and projecting my own body issues onto the people I see on the TV box. Yeah. That's it.

In other news, here's a web exclusive (taped from rehearsal, I believe) of Michaela Watkins as Ann Coulter:

And to soothe the pain of thinking about Ann Coulter, here's Jorma Taccone dancing shirtless to Fleet Foxes during rehearsal. You're welcome.

Tim McCleese

Annie Wu.... I'm glad you write for tv squad.

January 22 2009 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaltedTea

"Da Learnin' Train" skit is likely a parody of the PBS Kids Show called "Electric Company" (http://pbskids.org/electriccompany)

Think, err, urban-sensitive language and approaches being employed as teaching tools. Then think beatboxing, lots of neon and celeb appearances like Wyclef Jean.

As for the show as a whole, I got bored and struggled to stick it out to the end. Best skit: "La Policia Mexicana"

Unlike others, the goose in Weekend Update was kinda obvious. We Canadians have self-esteem issues so that final joke could be seen miles (make that kilometers) away.

January 19 2009 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

The *only* funny thing about the Gilly skit:

A: Someone shot the principal in the ass. Oops, sorry kids. I mean buttocks.
B: Actually we say "bum" here.
A: Okay, someone shot the bum in the ass.

January 19 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

Yeah the reviewer didn't mention "Da Learnin Train" skit. I thought that was the best one. Although I don't know why Harry Connick Jr. had to do be in it. I think anyone could have been there to point out how wrong everyone is.

Keenan is becoming one of my favorites. He saves bad skits like the Gilly one.

"I've got rabies for learning!"

January 19 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

"I got rabies for learning"

January 19 2009 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neel

I have been watching SNL for roughly fifteen years. I have a hard time thinking of an episode that was worse than this. For all the talent present in this cast, the writers should be embarrassed. I read somewhere that around 40-50 sketches get whittled down to the few that appear on the show. If these were the sketches that made it, I can't imagine the awful crap that didn't make it

January 18 2009 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

I watched it this morning on my dvr and i think it burnt my cable box!!! it was toxically unfunny, the only high light was the aladdin skit which rosario's umm... "talents" were ummm... funny. i did enjoy the part "why is one of our kids blue" part and the update was solid the rest of the show was bad i erased it and i hope they really fix this by next week. i think since mad tv is no more they don't have to try to get an audience. since they the only show at 11.

THEY NOT EVEN TRIED LAST NIGHT, AWFUL WRITING

January 18 2009 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Rosario Dawson also always leaves me with a "meh" feeling. I don't get why Kevin Smith is so in love with her - to be honest I think Zach & Miri would've been ruined by her.

Everything she stars in would be better if her roles would be played by Lisa Bonet.

Can't say much about the episode, %&$§ Hulu...

January 18 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samodernist

Poor Exquisite Rosario. She sure was a professional last night, and she did a great job, but the writing for last night's show was atrocious. She sure tried her hardest though, and for that I commend her - her beauty sure helps too.
Also Fleet Foxes was awsome. I have their LP and EP and I knew they were great, but damn they are super tight live. They may not have the stage presence of Kanye but they are truly expert musicians and singers - on key and on note - perfect.

January 18 2009 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

So, you're not reviewing the show anymore, just the Hulu.com clips?

Got it.

January 18 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Erica's comment
StillBash

I'm aware of the irony to follow but still:

Learn to read, the review is "hidden" in the words between the videos.

January 18 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

Yeah, I wondered about that last week, when the Doogie Hauser Digital Short and the "Whopper Virgins" weren't mentioned in the recap.

January 18 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply