November 27, 2014

The Mentalist: Paint it Red

by Debra McDuffee, posted Jan 19th 2009 2:35PM
stolen painting from The Mentalist,

(S01E13)
The opening of this episode was the Jane that I love -- random, bizarre, smart and observant, with no regard for convention. Did you catch the way he hammered away at Frank, the guy who found the dead body (Harry Lashley) with the woman he was having sex with?

Jane continued to be fun and outrageous throughout "Paint it Red," which made it one of the more entertaining episodes in a while for me. The case was relatively interesting, but Jane was so upbeat, divergent and ahead of the team -- love that! -- and the interactions amongst the team were top notch.

Jane was so spot on, knowing that Frank dragged the body out of the boss' office. "That's not policework, that's guessing." But does it really matter, because Jane is always right! "Who is this guy?" asks Frank about Jane. Lisbon retorts, ""A pain in the ass, but he's making sense. Are you sure you don't want to change your statement?"

One of my favorite parts of "Paint it Red" was when Jane and Van Pelt went to the forger's studio, posing as an engaged couple. Van Pelt begged him not to embarrass her, and he goes on to do just that. Could he have acted like a bigger jerk? No complaints from me, because it was hilarious and Van Pelt's reactions were priceless. And all Jane does is smile through it all. Love that guy.

It was also perfect the way Jane played Rigsby and got him to go to the Russian's house with him. It was surprising and amusing that Cho went, too. The little things in this scene are what made it work: Jane calling Cho from the back seat, Jane playing the Russian and getting access to his painting, and Cho and Rigsby being too scared to call Lisbon and tell her what they'd done. "I just robbed a Russian mobster and you can't call Lisbon?" says Jane to Cho and Rigsby.

We can't forget the ever-present connection that Jane makes with the family of the victim. Jane tells off the father (AP Caid), admitting that he had a dead daughter so he couldn't understand why AP would put his paintings before his daughter. He apologizes later, but AP admits there was some truth in it. Jane knew exactly what he was doing, and one step ahead of everyone else is just where I like Jane.

It was a clever way to catch the killer, too, because Jane knew that Kathryn knew the painting was a fake, so when she didn't bother to go after it when he threw it in the fire, he knew he'd caught her.

Other things worth mentioning:
  • Jane could tell the dead guy, Harry, was a musician and also what kind, based on the ridges on his fingers.
  • The forger put the funniest markers in his fakes so they could never be sold as the original: machine guns and TV aerials.
  • Lisbon knew Van Pelt was covering for the guys when she said Rigsby was out on a date. "Rigsby's not on a date because he's in love with you." Van Pelt, as usual, was embarrassed that everyone knew.
  • Jane's manipulations are so subtle sometimes, like in the end when he is teasing the guys into thinking the fake painting may be the real one.
I did not, in the least, miss the Red John story arc this week, and you know I usually crave that piece. The writing, acting, and most importantly, the timing of this episode was so well done that I enjoyed every minute from start to finish. Was this a good episode for you too?

Stacie23

I know it's late but I just caught the episode. The reason that Jane went through with the Russian set up was because he didn't know it was also a fake until after he got a look at it. He thought that it was the Russian at that point, it was only after he saw it was also fake that he knew it was the assistant. I liked that Lisbon had no idea what was going on at the end, but played it liked she did. She realizes that Jane solves all her cases and she gets the credit but she doesn't mind. I liked this episode alot, the time flew by quickly. My favorite episodes are when Jane knows before anyone else, including the audience.

January 25 2009 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

we can only hope that CBS replays this soon for those of us who use DVRs. I knew that the game would run late, but I held out that slim glimmer of hope that we'd get the whole program. But no.

And I just want to remind CBS, who were clearly gauging the ratings potential of their #1 new show on Sunday that Shark was a hit in its original Thursday night slot and died when they moved it to Sunday. Not every show is a Sunday show.

January 20 2009 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim Kosmicki's comment
The Midnight Penguin

I don't think there is ANY show that can be post-football, as honestly I don't ever "pad" the shows, and it did cost my viewership of Shark because of it.

Thanks to football again this week, this is a Mentalist episode that I won't be catching either until it is shown in a rerun (which Shark never was).

January 21 2009 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

John: glad i'm not losing my mind here....

January 20 2009 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Why did Jane bother to risk stealing the painting from the Russian when he knew (could easily tell from looking at it for a few seconds) that it was, in fact, fake? Why switch one fake with another fake? Had he gotten caught doing the switcheroo, they would have tortured and killed him (with diplomatic immunity to ensure getting away with it).

Jane said he "didn't realize it was a fake until later" but that's quite unlike Jane - he had plenty of time to look at it - the Russian was kind enough to even let Jane hold it. Jane was able to spot all the other fake paintings within seconds - and at this point he knew what to look for.

It makes no sense that Jane risked his life to swap a fake for another fake.

Also, can someone explain to me why the artist felt the need to pull out a shotgun on Van Pelt and Jane? He implied that he felt they were somehow, for some reason, a threat to him and he was defending himself... but I don't see why. He didn't know the guy who commissioned the paintings had been killed, and he didn't know the Russian mobster was involved in any way. Why would he suddenly be scared of Van Pelt? She was acting somewhat dorky and embarrassed due to Jane - especially when the artist (forget his name) said that Jane was an ass who she should not marry. But she did not say or do anything that would suggest she was there for any reason other than to have her portriat done. I'm probably missing something, but I watched it again and it still made no sense to me.

Also, about 26 minutes into the episode, the sound got all wierd for about 10 seconds - Jane was talking but we could not hear what he was saying - it was like he was pretending to speak. Did I miss something? Was that a broadcast error? I thought I still heard sound - just no voice while Jane was talking to Lisbon. It's exactly 26 minutes into the episode, if you have it. If something was wrong with my TV or how it was broadcast here, what was Jane saying?

Other than that, I really liked the episode.

January 19 2009 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
John

I got that weird sound error too. It had to have been a broadcast error because there were still the background noises.

I didn't think about why that artist pulled the gun on her. I figured it was because she was acting really weird. More then just being embarrassed. Maybe he thought they were going to rob him, maybe. Dang, now that's gonna bug me.

January 20 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claudia

Ads for The Mentalist during the week showed a red tractor on the forgery and in the show there was a machine gun and an antenna. What happened to the tractor?

January 19 2009 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I shared trachein's confusion for a bit and then gave up. Thank's John, for clearing it up.

January 19 2009 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I always enjoy the Jane antics. Did not miss the Red John arc because they did a big episode of it 2 episodes ago, and because they mentioned Jane's family (specifically daughter). I am satisfied with either flashbacks, Red John or giving us little clues about Jane's family. It's a smart way to keep reminding us how tragic Jane is despite his ever-present grin.
I am also really liking the characterizations of all the agents (in particular, I have liked the back stories they have given her in the past 2 weeks). Funny funny moment was "You know about that?" after Lisbon tells her everyone knows Rigby's in love with her (even the attorney general). Funny twist moment was when Jane presented to the gangster's house with a hand-drawn prop (and then the little shakey-shakey move was fun and puzzling).

January 19 2009 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trachein

I also loved this episode. Had most of the things I watch this show for. I must admit that one part confused me. I have watched the scene several times, but I still do not get how Jane switched the paintings. They were obviously trying to show us that he did something, but in the second that he had, what did he do? He appears to have entered with one framed piece (the stick figure picture) and he left with one framed piece, also the stick figure picture that was uncovered. How did he 1) get the fake moro in the mobster's house? and 2) switch the paintings?

Given the movements that were made, it would seem that the stick figure drawing was on the back of the fake Moro that Jane got from the forger and that he "popped out" the mobster's painting and replaced it with the forgers painting. However, Jane walked out of the room with the stick figure drawing clearly showing, so unless he knew the "real" moro had a stick figure drawing on the back (he admitted he did not know the mobster's painting was fake until after he stole it), how did he switch the mobster's painting for the forger's painting while still maintaining the stick figure drawing? So I'm stumped and have spend far too long trying to figure this out.

I'll probably feel really stupid when someone gives the answer, but I'd really appreciate it nonetheless.

January 19 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to trachein's comment
John

Jane had put a marker drawing of the painting on poster board into the front of the painting he had, we'll call this painting 1. We'll call the mobster's painting 2. The poster board had the marker drawing on both sides of the poster. Jane hit the two paintings together face to face to switch the poster board from painting 1 to 2. Then he switched the paintings themselves so that 2 was now lying against the couch and 1 was in his hands. 2 had the marker drawing, and Jane handed 1 back to the Russian. This wouldn't have worked if the paintings had been in different frames.

January 19 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply