August 1, 2014

Moonlight fans can celebrate on Friday

by Debra McDuffee, posted Jan 20th 2009 5:05PM
Alex O'Laughlin as Mick St. John in MoonlightI didn't jump immediately on the Moonlight bandwagon. The pilot just didn't grab me, and there was still a bitter taste in my mouth from Buffy and Angel being canceled. We Whedon fans don't forgive easily.

Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore and I caught up on all the episodes and fell for Moonlight. I loved the unique lore, the back story with Coraline and her family was riveting and yeah, Jason Dohring in love as a vampire? Much more appealing than when he's in love with a little blonde super sleuth.

Well, you can now relive the tragically short Moonlight experience, courtesy of the Sci Fi Channel. Beginning this Friday night, they'll be showing an episode of Moonlight every Friday at 9:00, through the entire series.

As if that's not enough, the entire series of Moonlight has been released on DVD today. I'm just not sure Moonlight fans could ask for better news than being able to see the series run again. Well, they could ask, but they won't get it.

jun

Buffy was never canceled. The showrunners decided it was time to end the show; in other words, it was Joss's decision. Angel, of course, is a completely different story.

January 22 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Silvechex

Hey Debra, Jericho and Veronica Mars is getting their movies, why not Moonlight? Vamp shows are hot right now with Twilight #2 in production, Underworld #3 being released this Friday and Dark Shadows being produced with Johnny Depp in the lead role as Barnabas Collins. Why not Moonlight? Thanks for the great article... Moonlight did have a way of getting under all of our skins...

January 21 2009 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ruble3

Fans are not acting rabid and they are not freaking anyone out. We have seen that Veronica Mars, Jericho and Pushing Daisies might be getting movies. So why not Moonlight? Even if Alex gets another TV show, his contract says he can do movies, and perhaps he could or would want to make Moonlight. Sophia is not working at this time. All the others actors are/will be available. It's common sense, not rabid-ness or irrationality. If Joel Silver sees how well the DVD is selling, he might be interested in making a movie...or two.

January 21 2009 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I got my dvds in the mail last night!! I'm looking forward to watching the last few episodes I missed.

January 21 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trudy

I seriously doubt that Moonlight will come back.

Yes, CBS made an enormous mistake, but it seems as though that was their intent in the first place, since the series ended as it did. Otherwise, I think they would have ended it on a cliffhanger, and that just didn't happen.

Mr. O'Loughlin has a talent hold with CBS and is working on something he seems awfully excited about, Mr. Dohring has an HBO series in production, Ms. Myles appears to have fallen off the American tv map and who knows what Ms. Sossamon is up to now.

It's wonderful that the DVDs have finally come out and that the SciFi Channel will be running the show starting Friday, but I think that's it for Moonlight.

We can enjoy the magic that was Moonlight, but it looks like the people who brought it to us have moved on to other things, which is understandable.

Let them go on with their lives. It's got to freak them out that the fans are so rabid. Give them some room to breathe.

January 21 2009 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ruble3

I'm happy to get the DVD but it's very sad Warner Brothers could not see fit to give us any extras. Perhaps it was some contractural issue (I would like to think). Moonlight DVD is No. 1 in TV drama on Amazon.com. as I write this. I hope Joel Silver is listening and will perhaps give us a Moonlight movie! I could really see Mick swooping across the big screen ala the style of the Matrix. That would be totally awesome!

January 20 2009 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

CBS made a mistake when they cancelled Moonlight. It had a hard core following and I can't believe they could not find advertisers for this show. But networks make mistakes all the time, so what else is new?

January 20 2009 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LisaS

This is a great week for us Moonlight Fans we have fought long and hard to get the DVDs released and now in this this same week we also have the Sci-Fi Channel reairing the entire season. For us it doesn't get much better then that FOR NOW. We still want more Moonlight and we are going to continue to ask for more Moonlight. If fans of shows like Jericho & Veronica Mars can continue to fight for more seasons and get a movie. I don't see any reason why we can't ask for more Moonlight.

www.moonlightarmy.com
www.moonlight-united.com
www.moonlighttroops.com

January 20 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene K

I, on the other hand do believe that CBS is run by a bunch of idiots. Moonlight had over 8,000,000 viewers and fans were complaining and trying to get other networks to pick up the show. CBS has taken other good shows off, also.

January 20 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hollie

The Bionic Woman remake got a DVD release, too...I'm not sure popularity has much to do with it any more. Maybe when you sign a contract with the network it says "in lieu of paying you all the money you want, we'll release your show on DVD irregardless of whether anyone wants to see it, as it will look so good on your resume".

(I'm not claiming that CBS is not run by idiots, I'm still irritated about "Threshold", another Friday night show cancelled indiscriminately then released on DVD.)

January 20 2009 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hollie's comment
leah

Irregardless is not a word. Regardless, is though.

January 21 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply