July 24, 2014

Veronica Mars movie is a go, says Rob Thomas

by Debra McDuffee, posted Jan 20th 2009 1:04PM
cast of Veronica MarsIf you are a Veronica Mars fan like I am, then you are probably still mourning the loss of the series; well, the first two seasons anyway. I'm sure the series hadn't run its course and that it would have rebounded from the fiasco known as season three, otherwise known as Piz.

OK, so maybe Piz grew on me a little, and he did keep Logan nice and angry, because nobody likes a happy Logan. And besides, would you want to see that sappy, insipid Logan in a feature film?

Did you like the way I slipped that in there? Feature film? Yep, Rob Thomas has confirmed that since the order on Cupid has been slashed from thirteen to eight episodes, he'll have time to write the Veronica Mars movie. And he spills the beans on some other juicy tidbits about the film too:

• Joel Silver will produce -- and finance -- the film.
  • Kristen Bell will star (Elle's dead; she might as well). Good thing, too, because recasting the title role would have been a very, very bad idea.
  • The movie will not be Veronica in the FBI, but instead will pick up around the time of graduation from Hearst College.
  • Thomas is working on getting Enrico Colantoni (uh-oh -- he's busy with his hit show Flashpoint) and Jason Dohring (cool, he's got nuthin') to sign on.
I don't think I'm alone in expressing my sentiment for the making of this film -- hooray! Even if they completely screw it up and it bombs big, I'll still be glad I got to see two more hours of Veronica Mars.

Does this news get you all nostalgic for the young blonde super sleuth?

Lys

Im excited! If this is done right, it could be GREAT! I think having her work on one big case over the season was part of the allure along with her love drama but if they incorporated a major slouthing and her relationships evolve i think it could really be fun!

March 02 2009 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo Link

"Even if they completely screw it up and it bombs big, I'll still be glad I got to see two more hours of Veronica Mars."

QFT. I don't care how good or bad it is. I'll be lining up opening night to see this.

January 21 2009 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

I like this. I'll buy the DVD, because then I'll be able to watch it again, with commentary and extras.

Cinema is dead. Long live HDTV.

January 21 2009 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Loved the show. Seriously loved it. It's done. Like Arrested Development, let it die!

January 21 2009 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LoadStar

Big screen movie? Hmm. As big of a fan of the series as I am, I don't know if a big-screen movie is really the right venue for this series.

My first choice would have been the Veronica Mars, FBI series (just watching the presentation package they included on the S3 DVD breaks my heart knowing it never will be). Since that doesn't seem be in the cards, I'd vote for a TV miniseries instead.

I'm not sure if a movie would really be able to convey just how tangled the web of just plain tawdry-ness that exists in Neptune, California, particularly to people who would have never seen the series. Plus, part of the appeal of the series for me was watching Veronica slowly sleuth-out the big mystery over an entire season... what's the fun if she figures it out in 2 hours?

January 21 2009 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Shifty

Where does it say Joel Silver will direct? He's just financing it because of his involvement with the TV series. He's only directed an episode of Tales of the Crypt back in '92.

January 20 2009 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

This doesn't exactly bode well for the new Cupid's chances, though, does it?

January 20 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

The movie should be even more 'out there' than the show. I'm thinking Veronica Jupiter

January 20 2009 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I don't think it counts as "movie is a go" until someone who isn't Rob puts money into it. Right now it's pie in the sky.

January 20 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jennifer's comment
StillBash

"Joel Silver will produce -- and finance -- the film."

Does that count as "not Rob"?

January 21 2009 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Still loads more excited and hopeful that Arrested Development makes it to the big screen, where I think it will get the best success out of all TV-to-movie transitions by being a comedy, but I'm very excited to hear Veronica's getting another few hours! Hooray!

January 20 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply