November 23, 2014

Michelle Ryan might be Doctor Who's next companion

by Mike Moody, posted Jan 21st 2009 3:02PM
Michelle RyanI wasn't a big fan of NBC's Bionic Woman remake. The best thing about it – besides Katee Sackhoff's guest turn – was star Michelle Ryan. The English actress not only looked the part, but her performance sometimes managed to make the show feel richer and more complex than it actually was. So I was happy to hear that she might play the new Doctor's companion on Doctor Who.

"Michelle's been in secret talks with BBC bosses," a source told the UK's Sunday Mirror. "They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon. She is perfect for the role. She is good looking and the right age to star alongside Matt (Smith). Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team, too."

I'm sure Ryan will get the part. She auditioned for the assistant role after Billie Piper left in 2005. She lost out to Freema Agyeman, but her profile has only gone up since then.

I'm excited about the possible Ryan/Matt Smith combo. I might be in the minority here, but I hope Doctor Who will look and feel very different once Smith takes over the role. I'll really miss David Tennant and everything and everyone about the current incarnation of Doctor Who, but I think it's time to regenerate.

What do you think about the possibility of Ryan time traveling with the new Doctor? Are you still holding out hope for Lily Allen?

Eric

Michelle Ryan should be the Doctor. When are we going to get a female Dr. Who? In this day and age, it makes a lot of sense. Either that or a black Doctor.

January 26 2009 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikael

I like Michelle and think she could be good in Dr Who as the assistant. She was pretty terrible in Bionic Woman though and it was a terrible show. She was miscast.

January 23 2009 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clark

Excuse me Rob but to blame Michelle Ryan for her American accent is just stupid. If there was a problem, it was the director who should have done something, not Michelle. Bionic Woman fell apart because it had way too many people pulling the show from different directions and making it a jumbled mess. Michelle Ryan did the best she could with what she was given and I think she did a good job, regardless of how bad most of the story arcs were and how spotty most of the direction was. As for Katee Sackhoff, her character came off as way too over the top for her own good and became more of a problem than a saving grace for the show and the show became better when she was not on it. Now I'm not blaming Katee at all for this problem, it was the writing that made her character too bloated for her own good and she weight down the flow of the show with a needless story arc that made no sense. In fact, all the actors not just Katee and Michelle came up with the short end of the stick with their characters and that was because of the writing, which was terrible.

As for Michelle starring in Doctor Who, I think she would make a great companion next the new Doctor. The new Doctor unfortunately will have a hard act to follow. David Tennant was great.

January 23 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Giles

"Katee Sackhoff made her look silly in Bionic Woman"

Katee Sackhoff character was much better written, that's why and if the roles were reversed, Katee would come off bad as well.

January 23 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Smith

She doesn't have much screen presence. Katee Sackhoff made her look silly in Bionic Woman, because Michelle vanished to the background whenever she was on screen. She was very bland and wooden. She can't use the accent as an excuse - she would have been paid a lot of money to do that role and she shouldn't have done it if she couldn't handle the accent comfortably.

Still, she might be ok in a supporting part if the Dr doesn't blow her off the screen. She really doesn't have much expression - she is very one-note. Someone about said Alex kingston. She would be great except that she is much older.

January 23 2009 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

I've only seen her in BW and thought her acting was horrible, bland at best. I was so disappointed. I had heard all this stuff about what a great actress she was, especially her performance in that British soap she did, and then I saw BW and was totally unimpressed - I mean to-tal-ly. However, most that've seen her other work seem to think BW was an apparition and or a perfect example of how bad things can go when actors don't have good writing and direction behind them. So, just going by seeing her in BW I think this is a bad decision but since I haven't seen her in anything else I would have to be fair and give her chance. I'm sure die-hard Who fans will protest loudly if it turns out she's not right. Right?

January 22 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hollie

So Alex Kingston is out of the question then?

January 22 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

She couldn't act in BW, so I'm hoping that was just the writing.

January 22 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Steadman

Granted, I'm not familiar with Ryan's work. But I think that the Doctor's companion should be far less well-known than she would be. Billie was known only as a singer (I believe) and not much out of the U.K., before her role as Rose. The same with Freema. And Catherine was known for her comedic work--only. Of course, Eccleston and Tennant were both well-known actors--but look at the old series. Bonnie Langford was well-known before her role as Mel, and she didn't turn out to be the best of companions. Colin Baker was well-known, and he wasn't the best Doctor. Most of the other actors were virtual unknowns, at least on the small screen.

To make my point, I think actors in Who should be unknown, or almost unknown, before their roles in the show. This will keep the show fresher, and allow actors to make their names here first, before going on to do more work elsewhere (as have Billie, Freema, and most of the companions from the original series).

Which isn't saying that Catherine Tate, who WAS well-known before acting in Doctor Who, wasn't an excellent companion. It just means it's perhaps safer to go with unknowns.

Doctor Who is all about facing the unknown, after all...

January 22 2009 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

The Doctor should travel around with Flight of the Conchords -

Doctor: 'It's Tardis'
Brett: 'Terrr-dis, Terrr-dis'
Jermaine: 'Taaa-dis, Taaaa-dis'
Doctor: 'No, Tardis. It's bigger on the inside than the outside'
Jermaine: 'Like Brett's old girlfriend?'

etc. etc.

January 22 2009 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jim's comment
TeenWolfie

I'd watch that. Especially if Murray was along for the ride.

January 22 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply