October 22, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: Stairway to Heaven

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jan 23rd 2009 11:03AM
Grey's Anatomy
(S05E13) "We're doctors, Grey. We're not executioners." - Bailey

Life wasn't easy for some of the Seattle Grace staff this week on Grey's Anatomy as they had to decide if they were doctors or executioners. For some, the choice was clear (Shepard is a doctor) while for others (Meredith and Bailey) they wondered if they should be executioners at least this one time. No matter what side they were on, one thing is sure: the Seattle Grace doctors offered us one hell (or heaven?) of an episode this week!

Can Eric Stoltz get an award for his incredible work as serial killer William Dunn? Not only was he totally believable in every scene but he was able to make me pity and hate him all at the same time. The guy deserves an award. His storyline, along with Jackson's quest for organs, was so poignant and brought up so many ethical dilemmas that I'm surprised it wasn't kept for February Sweeps.

The storyline was clearly used to put Meredith and Derek on opposites sides and test, for the 109012th time, their love for one another. Guess what? They passed the test! It seems easier for Derek to make the difference between the work relationship and the love relationship he has going on with Meredith. Just look how he kept calling her "Dr. Grey" during the medical scenes. Boyfriend Derek would have probably given some slack to Meredith for not paging him but Doctor Derek needed to teach Doctor Grey a thing or two about being a doctor so he had her scrub in. Old Meredith would have probably cried and screamed at Derek for not being on her side and making her scrubs but it's clear that she is finally (!) growing up and understanding more and more how things work in a doctor's world.

Izzie. Izzie. Izzie. When Denny first appeared to her last fall, I screamed "jumped the shark" at my TV. I still do. But this week, we finally saw a glimpse of hope as Izzie realized that she is sick. Finding out exactly what she is suffering from may not be easy but at least she opened her eyes and the storyline may thankfully get back on a more believable path. Sadly for her, I don't think Denny is really gone. I'm pretty sure he'll appear here and there to remind her that she is not cured and still need to figure out what she has.

Other tidbits of interest:
  • I wonder if Sadie said she is the one who "broke" Sloan really to have people get off Lexie's back. Could she have done it to be the center of attention? Or maybe both?
  • Lexie stroking Sloan's hair makes me believe she is in love with him. Thing is, is he in love with her? Could Lexie not only have broken Sloan but also turned him a one-woman's man?
  • Derek really loves Meredith as not only is he ready to propose but he is ready to let Cristina fully assume the best friend role. Speaking of Meredith and Cristina's friendship. It was about time those two bury the hatchet and "freak out together" again.
  • I think I'm going to be a Owen + Cristina shipper. Owen wants to do the right thing but knows he has problems and Cristina is ready to accept him with all his flaws. Aww... It will be quite interesting to see the two of them work on fixing Owen's problems.
So what did you think of this week's episode? Do you think the Izzie/Denny jumped the shark storyline can be salvaged? Let your opinion be heard in comments below.

Grey's Anatomy' Photos

Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of her new public service announcement produced by OTCSafety.org at Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City.

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 24: Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of a new public service announcement for OTCsafety.org at the Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Chandra Wilson

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Actor Patrick Dempsey (R) and wife Jillian Dempsey arrive at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Chandra Wilson and Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine, arrive at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Actress Chandra Wilson arrives at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Steve Granitz/WireImage.com

Actor Patrick Dempsey poss in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

(L-R) Actors Sandra Oh and Patrick Dempsey pose in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Joanne

Oh man, the Denny and Izzie story line is so bad. It is the worst thing this show has cooked up, or at least the longest we have had to put up with this crap. However, the rest of the episode was great and the end made me cry.

January 27 2009 at 5:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
September Songbird

I thought this show (Episode 513) was extremely emotionally intense. It grabbed my attention from the moment it started until the very end. And one very important thing I noticed was that ABC finally placed an amazingly beautiful song in this episode during the last 4 minutes, which sounded like it was written just for this particular episode! I don't really notice the background music much, but during this one I absolutely did! I found out it's called Drifting Further Away by an Australian band named Powderfinger, and I have just got to know more about them! I am so impressed by ABC, it's writers, producers and editors to have used such a perfect song. I know that it was the song that made me cry at the end, and that's something!!!

January 26 2009 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JC

Alright, since no one else has brought this up, what in the heck is a "penile fracture?" For god sakes, it's NOT a bone - it's just tissue - it can't be broken in half or whatever!!!!

January 23 2009 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to JC's comment
ALH30080

according to dr oz, it can. Google penile fracture, it does exist

January 23 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Espy

There is a very good Straight Dope article about penile fractures. My mom once gave me a copy of this article and told me to be careful.

January 30 2009 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

Am I the only one who liked little Grey/George relationship? The Sloan/lil Grey is weird to me.. McDreamy has a Gery so McSteamy gets one too?

I thought the chief was dedicated to following the rules and keeping the staff in check.. it hasn't been working so far this season.. whats so bad being the 12th hospital in the nation anyway.. there is at least 1 hospital in every state 12th out of 50 is still pretty good... that being said they are 12th out of a bazillion hospitals thats pretty great

January 23 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

1) What are the statistical odds of having an organ donor match at the same hospital you are treating your patient at (serial-killer guy)? And what are the odds there are two matches (brain dead, car-wreck guy)? Grey's is a drama; the kid should have died.

2) I have never liked Denny. Not when he was alive, not when he came back for Meredith when she drowned, and not when he came back as Izzie's delusion. I will be glad if and when he truly leaves the show (ditto for Kevin McKidd.)

3) I felt they took this show in the wrong direction as soon as Isaiah Washington was booted. The last good episode I saw was the one where Burke and Christina did not get married. After that it has all been down hill.

January 23 2009 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to am_hollitz's comment
Guido

am_hollitz ...
1) That's grey's .. logic never matters - when was the last time surgeons work an ER? Never.

2) I agree 100% on Denny .. boring.

3) The writing hasn't been as good since then and it's not surprising to see actors leaving and complaining about it.

January 26 2009 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cindicb

What is they are phasing out George, who it would definitely appear is going to leave the show, to bring back Isiah Washington -- and create a real dilemma for Christina? They clearly can't have the two on the same show, but everyone agrees that George's role has gotten so lame and there is no heart surgeon on the show anymore -- so....?

January 30 2009 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grace

This was IMHO the absolute best epi this season. Like the majority of posters all over the web, I was getting tired of Izzy/Denny - not that I don't love the two of them, but because it was taking a little too long to resolve. I think it was generally accepted that Izzy was sick, we get it, just a bit too many epi's to get to it.
That being said, WOW what a come-back! I am not an emotional person, and this one had me crying. Then when I thought it was done it made me cry again. And then again. Enter Sloan comic relief. Then AGAIN with the crying for Mere, Shep and Yang. Wow.

January 23 2009 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myra Brown

it was a powerful episode; the only thing I figured out was the child would get the organs of the brain dead man. I thought the wife would come to it on her own but it was even more poignant that Chief Webber violated his own edict in his effort to save the child. Everyone did good work but Eric Stoltz whom I have loved since "Some Kind of Wonderful" was some kind of wonderful. despite the horror of his crimes I liked him. I completely understand why Meredith was drawn to him. And I couldn't possibly love Owen Hunt more. there's a clear-eyed strength to him. when he quietly acknowledged his problems but wanted her in his life anyway I was so glad Cristina answered "yes." They are the most interesting couple on the show for me. Denny ... oy vey. it's a good thing Jeffrey Dean Morgan is so nice to look at!

January 23 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

General Hospital was great when Nikolas Cassadine saw the ghost of his wife he thought he was going crazy but he was able to touch, smell, and interact with her.

Turned out to be a brain tumor and if he cut it out he would lose his ghost. Of course it was tragic but to save his life he got rid of the tumor and lost his wife forever.

But wait there is a new woman in town that look just his dead wife.

January 23 2009 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

Did anyone else not hear what Christina and Meredith said to each other at the very end? I heard the narrator (Denny?) talking but not what they said. It looked like Meredith said something like "I missed you all along", and christina said "I know"

January 23 2009 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to iamored8907's comment
MarcDom7

There was no dialogue. They kept it silent, and my closed-captioning backed that up.

January 23 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Penn

The show has been consistently declining in writing quality throughout the year. The Izzzy/Denny subplot, clearly a mistake, makes absolutely no sense from any direction you wish to take is. If she is psychotic, then her symptoms don't represent the style of hallucination or the symptoms you would find with patients suffering from that diagnosis. If she has a brain tumor, which I suppose makes more sense, it still doesn't hold water in the real world of medicine. If it's real and she is talking to a ghost, then the show did jump the shark, and if the entire season is a dream, they could erase this ugle mess of a plot and start over, at the viewer's expense, of course.

One odd thing which happened last week is that Denny is shown talking to Alex with Izzy out of the room. This jumps the internal logic of all the previous explanations except the dream or real ghost options. Hallucinations don't stay on camera when the person generating the hallucination exits the room. This to me was very sloppy writing.

Did the writing staff change this year? Did they get lazy. Are they out of ideas? Even the non Izzy scenes don't have the impact or originality of previous seasons.

I think two things happened: it jumped the shark ... and it simply got bad. Not a strong season.

I hope they kill off Izzy quickly so I don't have to cringe everytime she enters the frame and I know that the absurdity will continue.

January 23 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply