October 26, 2014

What's the last show you watch before turning in?

by Richard Keller, posted Jan 23rd 2009 5:03PM

Is The Tonight Show your program of choice before you go to bed?If there is one thing in this crazy, mixed-up world that all human beings have in common, it's that we are creatures of habit. There are just some things that we do on a daily basis in order to maintain continuity and stay somewhat sane. It may be a certain morning routine, something you do at the beginning of each work day, or a particular domesticated animal that you burn during your sacrifice to the god Nomchakatu. No matter what it is, your day can go askew if you don't indulge in your particular habit or ritual.

One of these habits, which has been ingrained into many of us, is watching a particular show or shows right before we go to bed. Since the first grainy, black and white image was broadcast into the first home, millions have tuned into one show or another as a calming ritual before they go to sleep. In the very beginning, it may have been their local newscast or The Tonight Show. Now, with so many choices, what viewers watch before they pull the covers over their heads is nearly endless.

Personally, the shows that I've watched before going to bed have varied over the years. When Futurama was on the Adult Swim schedule, I used to tune in regularly before or as I fell asleep. Lately, I have switched between my local news (6 ABC in Philadelphia) and The Daily Show. If I'm awake enough, I'll try to sit through The Colbert Report without getting drowsy. If I'm still awake after that, I'll pop over to Nick at Nite to watch as much of Home Improvement as I can before I drift off.

So, that's me. Now I turn the podium over to all of you. What show, if any, do you watch before you climb under the covers for the night? Is it your local news or The Daily Show? Do you end up watching one of the late night talkers? Do you skip all of that and search for something scripted? Or, do you, um, tune into Cinemax for something entirely different that may or may not involve some type of, er, "exercise"? We here at TV Squad are always interested in your comments, so let us know.

Jim

Leno is the last show I watch before killing myself.

January 25 2009 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I usually watch Leno, and then I turn to TruTV and watch Forensic Files

January 24 2009 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zeldfelder

The Scottish Conan Guy on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Every night. Without fail.

January 24 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Red Eye... that show is so hilarious. I know most people on here hate FoxNews (despite the fact that they probably have never watched it, whatever...) but this show is really funny and could surprise you.

January 24 2009 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Whatever's on PBS or the History channel. Puts me right to sleep. It's the perfect way to drift off into lala land.

January 24 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

For some reason I like watching old sitcoms while going to bed. So normally what's on NaN starting around 11-12:30 latest. If it's a show I don't like such as the George Lopez show, I'll normally switch it to The N. But lately I've been falling asleep to Family Matters or Home Improvement.

January 24 2009 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fahad

I watch anything on late night talk shows with guests I like. I usually check to see the guest list on the guide and decide whether to watch Letterman or Leno, Conan or Furgeson.

But usually on a regular basis I'll watch Leno and Conan. Before falling asleep sometime by the middle of Conan's episode.

January 24 2009 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patrick420

A tivo'd Simpsons or Family Guy. Since I've seen all of them a million times I don's feel bad when I fall asleep on them.

January 24 2009 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Beaumont

I try to make it through the Daily Show. Hardly ever make it through Colbert on work days, or on day before work days. I am happiest when I can stay up for the first part of Craig, and then I search You Tube for the "What Did We Learn Today" for the day. I just love his humor! I sometimes stay up really late, and finally crash after Futurama.

January 23 2009 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I tend to turn in around 4am -- hey, I'm retired, so what the heck, I can sleep in. If not watching a movie on one of the movie channels, then I'm watching the local NBC station (Tonight Show, Conan O'Brien, Carson Daly, Poker After Dark, repeat of last week's Tonight Show, early news), however, at the same time, I'm usually reading a novel (The Last Colony by John Scalzi last night) and/or surfing the net.

January 23 2009 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply