April 19, 2014

ABC to shelve Betty for a while and to give new timeslots to comedies

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jan 26th 2009 5:02PM
Samantha Who
Fans of Samantha Who? have been wondering what would happen to their favorite amnesiac as ABC, who first said it would resume the show's second season in January, decided to shelve the series until it finds a slot for it. Well, the network has finally announced when SW? would return: Thursday, March 26 at 8 p.m. Yes, your eyes are not playing a trick on you: Ugly Betty will be shelved... for a few weeks. Oh and while they were at it, ABC's Power That Be decided that Scrubs would also move nights starting in March!

Here is how ABC plans to make you laugh with its 'comedy blocks' starting mid-March.

• Scrubs along with new comedy Better Off Ted, starring Jay Harrington, will fill the 8 pm timeslot on Wednesdays starting on March 18.
  • Samantha Who? will open another hour of comedy on Thursdays at 8 pm starting on March 26. The other half hour will be given to new comedy In the Motherhood, starring Megan Mullally, Cheryl Hines and Horatio Sanz.

Ugly Betty is set to return when the new Thursday comedy lineup completed its run, but ABC doesn't want to announce UB's return date yet. The network probably wants to leave open the possibility that Better Off Ted and In the Motherhood will get early cancellation meaning that SW? could move to Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m.; thus giving UB its timeslot earlier than planned. However, if both comedies do well enough to stay in the Thursday at 8 p.m. timeslot, Betty's return could only be in... June!

Personally, I'm not sure SW? and Motherhood will survive against Survivor, Smallville and Bones. The network had a better chance of getting decent ratings on Thursdays at 8 p.m. with Ugly Betty.

Do you think the network is planning the death of these four comedies or can they survive in those timeslots?

Sancty

ABC had proven they are incapable of putting together a consistent schedule. They do some really creative stuff schedule-wise (the straight run LOST theory is brilliant, but they destroyed a promising Wednesday night to do it). The decision to not bring back their tri-fecta of new dramas after the strike was the death nail for two of them, and I think putting Private Practice AFTER Grey's has only emphasized the show's weaknesses (I don't even know what to think about the cross-over ep coming soon!)

ABC - Bleh! Just don't screw Lost up - How its survived being moved all over the place just shows the loyalty of its audience and the quality of the show

January 27 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

ABC has NO idea what they are doing this year.

Though uh...I can't say I'm thrilled with how UB is going this season.

January 27 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

Why is nobody talking about the real ridiculousness in all this? The Bachelor is TWO HOURS LONG! De-bloat it back to one hour, and put Samantha Who back where it was.

Also, unless they stop showing 2 episodes per week, Scrubs is going to be done before March 18.

January 27 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kassije

lol... I hate Ugly Betty!!! Here in sapain is "Yo soy Bea' and is a bored sit-com. Samantha Who? actress is beautifull and funny.... Thin link yo can watch it: http://www.milesdepelis.com/

January 26 2009 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anita

I looooove Ugly Betty!!! It's the only sit-com if that what you call it that I watch. I never miss it. When there's a repeat, I'm not thrilled. I'm always anxious to see next week's installment to see what's going to happen to everyone. So many great actors/actresses in such divine roles, so few shows now to see! Boo hoo, this postponement of UB has ruined my day/week.

January 26 2009 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

Yeah because delaying new episodes worked so well for Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone, and Dirty Sexy Money.

January 26 2009 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Monkeydog's comment
Jennifer

Hear, hear.

January 27 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I like Ugly Betty. I'm disappointed to see it shelved.

January 26 2009 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BritTVFan

I agree - UB jumped the shark with the whole cheesy Henry vs Gio crap last season. Sad that such a once quality show has let its popularity go to its head and the writing got lazy and cliched

January 26 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Saw Better off Ted as a screener; one of the worst comedies I've ever seen. Why can't this network put together a good comedy?

And I used to like Ugly Betty but stopped watching mid-season two. It lost its "must see" hook with the season one storylines over, and I just didn't care enough about the characters to watch it as a weekly escape.

January 26 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian's comment
Lem

you couldn't be more wrong about ted. that show is hillarious.

January 26 2009 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin McGuirk

Scrubs/Lost/Life on Mars will be one epic night

January 26 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply