September 22, 2014

NBC won't air veggie sex ad during the Super Bowl after all - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 27th 2009 2:28PM
Super Bowl logoThere's a joke here involving cucumbers I'm sure, but I'm much too mature to think of it. Feel free to make one up yourself.

NBC has pulled a PETA ad that was going to run during the Super Bowl, because it "depicts a level of sexuality exceeding our standards." Hey, what about subjecting viewers to those people on The Biggest Loser? And they usually have their tops completely off. This particular commercial shows various lingerie models getting all frisky with broccoli and pumpkins (pumpkins??). I guess it is pretty sexual, though I've seen edgier things on daytime soaps.

Funny how there is always a few controversies when it comes to these Super Bowl ads, either before they run or after the fact.

PETA says that they don't understand why the ad was pulled when ads for chicken and burgers are OK even though they make you "fat" and "boring in bed." As an eater of chicken and burgers, I resent that.

YouFaceTheTick

Good ad. Typical of the No fun League.

January 29 2009 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peta Super Bowl Ad

The ad is now available in HD...

January 28 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrespondent

I don't know if I want to eat my vegetables -- but I suddenly want to BE my vegetables.

January 27 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

Without any meat eating, how is there sex?

January 27 2009 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lam

To me, that ad says vegans have sex with vegetables... which doesn't make me want to break out the salad.

January 27 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Why do people pay so much attention to the Super Bowl ads? Personally I hate being pitched to.

Tom is right that this was just a ploy for publicity without the expense of ad time, but to work it requires someone to decide that it is newsworthy (here the NY Post, then TVSquad). It is not.

January 27 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

The most offensive thing about the ads is the message, "you eat meat, you are a bad person and suck at sex." The sexyness is fine, its like a Victorias Secret ad that insults anyone who likes steak.

January 27 2009 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dukrous

Good for NBC...fuck PETA.

January 27 2009 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

As much as I dislike PETA, I honestly didn't think the ad was that bad. I think we've seen much more sexual ads in years past.
I'll have my full post on the tv spots up on Monday.

January 27 2009 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

How did they "know" this was too racy? Did you watch the ad? Victoria Secret shows similar stuff every day of the week, and I've never heard of them getting their ads pulled from the air. I'm sure they thought that NBC would be even-handed enough to show them the same courtesy.

January 27 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply