April 24, 2014

Fringe: The No-Brainer

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jan 28th 2009 8:31AM
Fringe - The No-Brainer
(S01E12) This was kind of a freaky episode for anyone who spends hours and hours at the computer (raising hand). I'm probably not the only one who's had nightmares of the computer taking over (my brain) and committing crimes. But in this case, there was a human on the other end. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. Anyway, think twice if a window pops up on your computer that says "What's that noise?" Oh, and now I'm a little paranoid about the camera on my computers. Like, who's out there looking at me sort of thing.

I'm glad things didn't go the way I feared from the previews last week – that Ella would be unwittingly plotting something evil. And I'm just as glad that no harm came to her. But I still think there's something weird going on with Olivia's sister. Just not sure what yet. And I'm really not into Peter's little thing he's got going with her. It's just weird.

I don't really have much to say about the woman who wanted to see Walter – the one who lost her daughter in the lab accident years ago. I guess it was nice to see Walter feeling compassion and sympathy for another human being (rather than a cow or a slug).

What is up with Agent Harris? It seems clear that he's somehow working the wrong side of the law. He's so intent on getting Olivia and her "rogue" agents off all the Fringe science stuff. Even though Olivia and her team basically solved this (and every other) case on their own. It kind of makes you wonder just what all those OTHER FBI agents are doing. And Harris commented that this case should fall under the jurisdiction of the CDC, so there's some connection there.

And I really liked it when Agent Broyles stood up for Olivia with Agent Harris. Broyles basically told the old cuss that if he continues to push his personal vendetta, he'll stake his career on her behalf.

But whatever happened to Nina Sharp?! She seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Possibly even literally, the way this show goes.

Favorite quotes:

"Can you have the guys go outside? I'm having the coroner send over a body." – Olivia to Astrid on the phone

"Be sure to check his floppy disks, as well." – Walter, on the team checking out a computer

"I wonder if they sell cars here with those seats that warm your ass." – Walter to Peter, while investigating a murder at a car dealership

"Every time that guy opens his mouth, I like him more and more." – Peter, on Agent Harris' inane remarks

"I've never had Walter in my life. and now, thanks to your insane freak show of an operation, I do." – Peter to Olivia

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

jboner2themax

this episode really sucked big time and so does your blog.

February 15 2011 at 12:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

is it me or is Olivia's Sister and her stepford child annoying as hell! Anytime their on I want their brain's to melt or just implode! I hate it when shows add kids just for the sickeningly sweet cuteness factor!! BLAH!!
It was good to see Nina and M.D again! all in all a good episode, it kept me entertained. It wouldn't rank it as my top 5 so far but it didn't disappoint!

February 04 2009 at 11:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Casey

not everything has to do with the Pattern. That would be too convenient for everything around Boston to be related to the Pattern, you need episodes like this to show that there's other sick crap and people doing that sick crap.

However, I do miss Nina Sharp and Massive Dynamics this portion of the season. I hope they get back to that soon. Harris is not nearly the foil for the Fringe division that Nina is, but maybe the show is trying to show some backstory for Olivia that isn't connected to John Scott. That would also explain the sister and niece that I think will play into learning more about Olivia too and make her more human and multi-dimensional.

Otherwise, I think this was an fairly good episode that had some decent character development for all the main characters (even some for Broyles). Plus, it had a plot we could all relate to, some funny lines, and a strange way these people died that needed investigation.

January 29 2009 at 10:21 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Rob

The Dempseys lived on Braddock Avenue. Some "Fringe" writer finally got around to Netflixing Cinderella Man.

January 29 2009 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

One more thing. Did it bother anyone that they were able to pull data off of a charred and torched hard drive when "even a speck of dust can render them inoperable." Has anyone ever seen a hard drives insides and know how they work? That speck of dust comment is fairly accurate, though it would render some advanced equipment from pulling data off. But burned and charred to a crisp!!! And all Peter's "wizard" did was plug it in and go. Hilarious!

Walter says, "Be sure to check his floppy disks, as well." (That was one of the favorite quotes, really??) And the response comes back (and I'm paraphrasing) we're way beyond that now. Yes we are indeed.

January 29 2009 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

Why didn't they question if Rachel knew Dempsey? He was killing people against whom he had a grudge.

We already know that she's up to something.

January 28 2009 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

(Posted this at TvGuide.com in reply to an interview with the "Mr Jones" character)
Fringe has revealed itself as "X-Files: Next Generation". This show is following the same formula and it's pissing alot of us off, especially with these one-off eps like "No Brainer" which does nothing to address The Pattern and its players like Nina, Massive Dynamics, and Mr Jones. This is a pathetic waste of creative talent and fan involvement to just rehash the X-Files.

January 28 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

This show is running very uneven, hot and cold. This one was cold ... was the old washout guy behind the popup a lone wolf or connected to MassDyn ? Why didn't our guys slo-mo the video to analyze its images ? Ditto with the audio ? Sanford Harris is just a joke of a character, an obvious plot device just to hassle Olivia, and continues to draw this show closer to "The X-Files" than differentiate itself from it. Introducing the Jessica Warren character just seemed like an add-on, didn't develop organically. I'm missing Nina, MassDyn, Mr Jones, and the whole underlying conspiracy thing -- yet another jerk-the-viewers-around thing that X-Files used to do.

This poor ep was written by Goodman and Kane who had (separately) done prior brain/head explosion episodes. But John Polson didn't help the cause as a first time director to this series. With 12 eps under our belt now, I think we can see what's happening with this series and I'm VERY disappointed with its '90s-era X-Files formula.

January 28 2009 at 8:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GerryofNorVA's comment
Tom

I don't understand why everyone is so upset that this show is totally ripping off the x-files week in and week out. I personally loved this episode of The Ring/Saw.

But seriously, why does everyone think this show is X-Files redux? Just because it has a male/female FBI agent team working for a "rogue division" within the agency, with superiors breathing down their necks, threatening to shut them down, and all the while they are investigating a vast conspiracy by some form of shadow government or corporation, except for the occasional off-the-beaten-path episode which has absolutely nothing to do with the show's mythology, and each week features some paranormal or pseudoscientific subject matter while it tries to create some sort of romantic or sexual tension between its lead characters? I mean, what basis would anyone have to connect the two?

This show did something that I really liked this week, and I thought it was really cool. Did anyone notice it? The murderer's MO was to get back at people who had wronged him. He killed the son of the man that fired him, the man who married his ex-wife.....and a CAR SALESMAN!!! That's f*@king hilarious! I loved how they kind of tongue-and-cheeked it, never revealing any connection with the car salesman. That's great! Death to all car salesmen as far as I'm concerned.

But again, seriously, this show is so poorly written. This Harris guy has no reason to be there except to be a thorn in their sides, why a murderer with such expertise would go to such great lengths to make hiimself untraceable, and then go after two people so easily traceable back to him that Frank Drebin could have caught him (and then to immediately attack the investigative team after him), and this woman, Jessica Warren who writes letters and shows up, but doesn't tell anyone that her motive is just to find out a little more about her daughter. Instead she's all mysterious about it. These things just repeatedly don't make any sense!

The worst of all is that bit at the end where Peter says, "I don't get it. Why would he protect a murderer like that?" and Olivia says, "It's because its his father."

Peter doesn't get it??!!! You mean he doesn't see the irony of the situation and has to have Olivia explain it to him in some sort of gotcha moment? These are supposed to be intelligent people, right?

Or how about this. Did anyone notice how long it took Olivia to react to the child on the computer when she burst through the door at her home? They have a computer program that is turning people's brains to mush, but she stands there and barks out orders. Seriously, it takes her 30 seconds after she sees the little girl ON THE COMPUTER to go over and check on her!!!

Anyway, kudos for killing the car salesman. This show sucks, as always. At least its consistent. Olivia's sister is hot--way cuter than Olivia. I get Peter's attraction.

January 29 2009 at 2:22 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Blackie

Everyone is in the lab talking and the wall phone rings... They look at each other and try to figure out what the noise is. "I didn't think that even worked."

Fun-knee

January 28 2009 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I believe there was a line Peter said to Olivia in the car, which I can't recall.

January 28 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to La-Di-Dah's comment
GerryofNorVA

Yeh, he said "you're right, it's none of your business."

January 28 2009 at 8:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply