December 20, 2014

Scrubs: My ABC's

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 28th 2009 10:05AM
Scrubs: My ABC's(S08E05) After four episodes that have ranged from the pretty-decent to the almost-classic, we start this week's double-shot of Scrubs with the season's first real clunker. Which is odd, because you'd think the presence of everyone's Sesame Street favorites in J.D.'s fantasies would have made for a funnier show. But I'm starting to wonder if it's becoming less funny because it's nothing we haven't seen from this show many times before.

Don't get me wrong: the Muppets were cute: Oscar saying "My eyes never close!", Grover asking for a "high four," Elmo getting chummy with Denise/Jo, and the fourth one (name please, Sesame fans?) who's relieved to find out that all his problems stem from having a hand up his bum. But they really didn't help the plot like some of J.D.'s other more elaborate flights of fancy have.

What got me annoyed was the inconsistent characterization of Denise/Jo. It's already established that Jo's a hard-ass whose biggest effort to empathize with her patients is to say "sucks to be you." So why was J.D. so surprised to see her turn from a smiling fake to the crude broad she's always been? Methinks that this episode was written for earlier in the season and quickly adapted to run later (Elliot references the fact that she and J.D. have started dating again, for instance). It just wasn't adapted well enough.

The characterizations of the other two main interns -- Ed's a good student but is lazy, and Katie is a manipulative kiss-ass -- were more consistent. It was interesting that this episode really showed J.D. and Elliot come full-circle professionally. First of all, they let Cox's insults pretty much roll off their backs (heck, Elliot intercepts Cox's tired insult about J.D.'s beard just so it gets out there). Second, they have the same issues with interns that Cox had with them all those years ago. That'll probably be the most interesting aspect of this "final" season.

Fun stuff and notes:

• Missing cast member alert: all hands on deck, at least among the big six. No Sam Lloyd or Christa Miller, though.
  • Most memorable non-Muppet line was Janitor telling Cox how to suck out Ed's Adam's apple with a plunger ("in theory," he says as Cox storms off with the plunger).
  • Despite the inconsistent writing for Jo, it was interesting that her non-sympathetic take on the results of putting that patient on a respirator was what did the job -- and was completely accurate. I bet we'll see more of that in the coming episodes.
  • Szwa! I have to tell you, Aziz Ansari isn't the world's best actor, but I'm enjoying the hell out of him as Ed. He's bringing a little life to a bit of a tired ensemble.
  • Who wouldn't pick a guy who signed his name to a list using all three colors on one of those three-color pens?
  • If you haven't seen it, go see the intern-centric webisodes that are playing at ABC.com. I've seen all of them, and they're pretty good. But so far, we've only seen Jo and Katie on these, along with two other interns we don't see on the main show. Wonder why they decided to do that?

Ok, on to the next episode...

Argus

Okay, I had a gigantic problem with the fact that JD said intern who had stomach cancer made the right call. Despite the fact that what she did turned out better than what JD did, he still made the right call. There was no indication that his abdominal pain was different, and an endoscopy would have put him at needless risk considering his history of heart disease. A proper interview with the patient to find out the nature of the pain in relation to previous times and an initial x-ray or a barium swallow would have been preferable for finding issues.

January 28 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Argus's comment
Argus

Wrong episode me!

January 28 2009 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I have to admit I was worried at first about if the quality of Scrubs would suffer with the move to ABC. I'm happy to report that I don't think so. So maybe last night's first episode wasn't stellar, but it was better than about 90% of the crap out there.

January 28 2009 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

hey guys i agree w. you. I love scrubs so much its so funny! But, the reason i commented was do any of you know what that song was called at the end of the episode? Well i know its can you tell me who to get to sesame street but does anyone know whos it bye?

January 28 2009 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lem

This episode was aired out of order - it was originally supposed to be the season premier, but was moved.

Re: the webisodes, the interns you haven't seen will appear in the show in the coming weeks. They were added, in part, to replace Ed, who quit do to the new Greg Daniels show.

January 28 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Definitely not one of the better episodes this season. The Sesame St. infusion was overdone and totally unfunny.

Also, the janitor was even more pathetic in this episode. He serves no purpose whatsoever. I'm tempted to fast forward my DVR every time he's on the screen. It's time for him to go home and bring Doug back instead. I miss Doug's antics with the cadavres.

January 28 2009 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I got the same sense that this episode was out of order from the rest of the season. It's bugging me because I've gotten this feel from all of the episodes this season. I completely agree. And I was hoping there'd be more Muppets. I enjoyed what I saw, but I was hoping there'd be more. Overall, though, I did enjoy it.

January 28 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

Left out my favorite lines (paraphrase):

Ed: Besides, I wasn't really interested, I just wanted to try out my new pen using all three colors - it looked pretty cool.

Turk: I know - that's why I picked you

January 28 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

It would explain alot if this episode was out of order (for one, Katie was acting like she did before Carla straightened her out).

That said, this is still my favorite season in a while (and I've yet to have a season I didn't like).

Has there been any explanation as to why Elliot isn't Private Practice anymore? Did I miss something or did they just choose to ignore that she didn't work for the hospital for the past two seasons?

January 28 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to philly_phenom's comment
StillBash

They ignored that.

I'm fine with that. I like the idea of forgetting what happened the last three seasons. I like happy Elliot better. Maybe her HIMYM guest-stint would've had a more positive effect on me if she hadn't become cynical Elliot.

I mean look at 8x06 - she's not obsessive anymore and don't you just want to cuddle her in her cookie-dough pants? ;-)

January 28 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

I'm fine w/ it too - just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

January 28 2009 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

well Denise had been there a few weeks i guess and JD thought she had changed since the "my last words" thing.

she is a bitch but like she said
"i look good naked so i can get it whenever i want it" truer words had never been spoken.

January 28 2009 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

"Real clunker" - hm.

Compared to every single episode in Season 6 and 7 this one was still stellar.

Scrubs is back where it was in Seasons 1 to 3, this episode is no exception. Calling it a clunker - I don't know. Show Scrubs some love. It's real fun to watch at the moment.

January 28 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply