October 20, 2014

Bob Saget may be returning to ABC

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 29th 2009 11:00AM
Bob SagetIt looks like Bob Saget might be going back to the world of ABC sitcoms. His previously-abandoned-by-The-CW vehicle Surviving Suburbia is looking to find a home on the network that brought us Saget in the 90's via Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos.

I don't know much about Surviving Suburbia outside of its premise (a couple living in the suburbs get new wacky next-door neighbors). It sounds too much like those formulaic sitcoms that I loathe. Their best bet for promoting something interesting is having Saget act like the pervert he acts like in his stand-up routine (as seen in the movie The Aristocrats). Make the show more for adults and make Saget a dislikable main character similar in execution to Archie Bunker.

Still, with a title like Surviving Suburbia, it's more than likely that the show is going to be formulaic and bland (think According to Jim). There's likely a reason The CW abandoned it (other than Saget) . Sadly, as a result of his television work in the 90's, "bland" is what Saget is mostly known for.

Hank

Saw a taping. Is everything you hoped it to be. The best way I could describe it is: imagine Curb Your Enthusiam, but Larry David has kids. In the episode I saw, he steals a scooter from a fat lady so he can cut in line at the DMV. It was too good for the CW. I'm glad it got to ABC.

January 30 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Dirty Work is still one of my favourite comedies ever. And he directed it. So I always hold out hope that a Bob Saget project will be the "great, funny Saget" rather than the "whoring out for money Saget".

January 30 2009 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

"Bob Saget may be returning to ABC"

Oh God, NOOOO!

January 29 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arnold

I wonder what this will do to how i met your mother

January 29 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Arnold's comment
Monkeydog

Nothing.

He just has to narrate on HIMYM...which I doubt is that demanding of a job.

January 29 2009 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I completely forgot about Surviving Suburbia. I was stuck watching the CW's previews for all fall shows once while my car was getting fixed and he was all over talking about this. And then nothing! Interesting how they can just drop things like that. I know little about the show itself, so I don't have any opinions, but interesting nonetheless.

January 29 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

And for telling reeeeeeally long stories about his wife of course.

January 29 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply