American Idol: NYC and San Juan Auditions

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jan 30th 2009 1:50AM

American Idol - NYC and San Juan AuditionsFor this edition of American Idol, the crew traveled to New York City and San Juan, Puerto Rico. One of my favorite things about the auditions is seeing the expressions on the judges' faces – when they're witnessing true talent and also when they're being tortured by the voice of the devil.

Despite the distracting bobbing boat behind the judges (and a guy ON the boat at one point!), I tried to keep focused on the auditions in New York City. Let's get to it:

Adeola Adegoke, 19. She sang "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," and she's so sure of her singing abilities that she quit her job. Bad move. Simon calls the audition "shockingly bad" and then calls her former boss to try and get her job back. Thank goodness it works. Adeola is going back to her day job instead of flying to Hollywood.

Melinda Camille, 21. She loves to dance naked in her room and is all about happiness and enlightenment. Says she feels a shift in the universe and wants to be part of it. Melinda sings "Feelin' Good," and the judges like her vibe. Kara says she's like "a vitamin boost," and she feels energized after listening to her. Melinda gets a Golden Ticket to Hollywood.

Jackie Tohn, 27. She sings "I'm Yours," but does a little better on her second song, "I'll Do It All." I can't see her going that far in Hollywood, but Paula calls her "unpredictable and surprising," and the judges put her through to the next round. Thank goodness the set malfunction – the shades on the window crash down on the judges – doesn't distract them enough to say no.

Joel Contreras, 23, the Human iPod. This guy is just weird, and shows up with a giant cut-out of an iPod. It's everything Simon "hates," and Joel proceeds to throw down the iPod, pull out a hand puppet of a lion, and sing "The Circle of Life." When the judges give him a resounding "no," he runs outside and jumps into the pool. Oy vey.

Nick Mitchell a.k.a. Norman Gentle, 27. This guy is another one who does everything Simon hates – all the gimmicky stuff. In fact, he and Simon have a smackdown when Simon makes some snide remark about Nick's gayness (at least, I think that's what happened), and Nick says "You mean the way you like it when Seacrest does it?" It just goes downhill from there, but his voice isn't half-bad and he gets through to Hollywood, even though, as Kara says, he doesn't have a "shot in hell."

Alexis Cohen, 24. This is the crazy girl who auditioned last season, the one who gave Simon the finger and told him to kiss her ass. But Alexis is kinder and gentler this year, but it doesn't help her version of Madonna's "Like a Prayer." It's just not good, and when the judges turn her down, she gives them the finger and Simon bursts into laughter like I've never seen before. It's almost maniacal.

The San Juan Auditions:

Jorge Nunez, 20. He first sings "My Way" in Spanish, then "What a Wonderful World" in English. He has a beautiful, full voice that sounds almost operatic. Paula looks like she wants to kiss him. Randy calls it "brilliant." Jorge goes through to Hollywood.

Jessika Baier, 20. This Michigander has a voice that's on-pitch, but it's loud and shrill. The judges can't believe she's won 700 singing contests. She starts to break down and begs the judges for another chance, but it's a no-go. Paula and Kara try to talk her down, but Jessika leaves in a huff with no Golden Ticket.

Monique Garcia Torres, 16. This girl comes in with her cute little brother, Christopher, and the judges love him but think she needs to choose "younger" songs. Still, they put her through to Hollywood. I don't know that she'll advance too far, but you never know. I really like her voice when she sings "You Can't Hurry Love" and "I Turn To You."

Patricia Lewis Roman, 20. She makes the mistake of singing "I Wanna Dance with Somebody," and Simon hates the song choice. (Note to contestants: Don't try and sing Whitney Houston or Minnie Riperton ... please). But Patricia changes the judges' minds with a beautiful little Spanish song. Her very large family goes wild when she comes out with a Golden Ticket, and everyone starts dancing, including Randy Jackson.

Next Tuesday: Hollywood Week begins!

Get more American Idol on AOL TV.

Of the auditions in NYC and San Juan, who has the best chance of being THE American Idol?
Melinda Camille32 (18.5%)
Jackie Tohn18 (10.4%)
Nick Mitchell16 (9.2%)
Jorge Nunez65 (37.6%)
Monique Garcia Torres19 (11.0%)
Patricia Lewis Roman23 (13.3%)

sandra faulkner

the new season is of to a good start .I like the judges getting it down to the final 12 or 13.Adam although he is good may be hurt with the young girls with him being openly gay.

March 10 2009 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobby

Dude - you take this way too seriously. It's a show for entertainment, not a portion of a silly soap operal life. The show is for our amusement and the hopes that someone will have a chance to do something in the entertainment idustry. Take a Xanax and relax!

January 31 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobby

NY Audition: Nick Mithcell aka Norman Gentile - I have never laughed so hard at an audition in my life. He was funny and has a nice voice to boot. Looking forward to seeing how he does in Hollywood.
He is kooky but very entertaining and maybe just what the show needs, a bit of good humor and talent.

January 31 2009 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

No, I liked this episode. Simon's "Norman...Norman...Norman," and his calling back Adeola's boss for her job back (way too nice, Simon is going to heaven) and Simon talking to Christopher. It was all good. I liked that they found a handful of Spanish-singing talent.

January 30 2009 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Roberts

It was weak, but not as bad as Jacksonville.

Clearly, it is time to move on to Hollywood. I am looking forward to it!

January 30 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I think the AI producers knew they didn't have that much good stories and/or entertaining people audition in these two cities and that's why they put them together in one episode.

I mean at least we only got one hour of these two cities rather that four hours in two episodes!

January 30 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikLamb

I am sooo ready for the audition shows to be over (this show was ghastly) and Hollywood week to begin. And thank goodness it appears from the previews that they are going to do the "small group" challenge, where the performers have to actually try to play nice with others. I don't remember that they did that last year, and I really missed it.

January 30 2009 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

WORST AI EPISODE EVER! Ugh... this show was a stinker. Not only did Ryan have to remind us every freaking time they came back from commercial that we were touring two cities (what a gi-normous waste of time) but the talent featured was just down right awful. At least the bad auditions have been entertaining in all the shows before this one but I could barely tolerate what they chose to show last night. The worst part is, at the end of the show they state that they gave out 26 golden tickets in NYC - WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN??? We sure didn't see much of it!

Oh, and how odd was it letting Norman Gentle through and then NOT letting some of the other borderline (yet MUCH better) talent through. You just know that when Simon says "Didn't like you then, don't like you now" in the teasers for Hollywood week next week that's exactly who he's going to be saying it to. Ugh... just awful.

I didn't see one contestant last night that I think honestly has a shot at getting past next week.

January 30 2009 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply