July 30, 2014

It's official: Scrubs to end this season

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 30th 2009 2:23PM
Zach BraffAfter Scrubs moved from NBC to ABC this season, a lot of fans assumed that this would be the one last gasp for the show. And those fans were right.

Show creator Bill Lawrence spoke at William & Mary last night and told the crowd that the show was indeed ending at the end of this season. It has nothing to do with the network switch, it's actually because Zach Braff decided to leave. J.D. is the pivotal character in the show so the show can't really continue without him (though I'm sure a lot of fans will say that it could).

This isn't shocking news, and the way things went (the switch of networks, Braff hinting he might want to leave, the show being in its 8th season) probably means they had time to film a real finale to the show. And we'll learn the janitor's name! I had no idea that the janitor only spoke to J.D. the first season because he was originally supposed to be someone only J.D. could see. I'll have to go back and look at those episodes again. It might make the first season seem more like The Sixth Sense for fans.

[via AOL Television]

Eeeeaaaaggllle

Wow, You guys really didn't like these last couple of seasons. I can't think of an episode of scrubs I honestly don't like. I love this show to death, I wish It could keep going, But it would end up getting stale sadly. It's just weird watching a show for 8 years of my life and having it end, no new more episodes ever and just reruns for the next 5-10 years like every show that ends. It was a great run, I'm glad to have gotten into it. I just can't see another show like scrubs with as much humor, drama, deep character development and etc. This isn't like Lost where I want it to end to find everything out.
Anyways, I think most hardxcore scrub fans would "try" to watch the show without JD, But it wouldn't be as funny and would end up canceled. I honestly think [Scrubs] could last ONE more season and still go off with a decent amount of respect.

April 28 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

that's a shame it is a great show although i do hate the interns not Jo of course, she looks rockin hot naked so she can get it whenever she wants it, the other two are annoying and i don't see myself watchin a show abut them.

i will miss this show but they are sure doing it on a high note the season has been great it makes me forget about the lame seasons 6-7

February 01 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcos

I love Scrubs, but I'm OK with it wrapping up after this season because season 8 has been great, so leave while on top rather than risking another subpar season like 5-7.

February 01 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevViews

It's a bit of a shame it's finishing this season, because everyone knows the best shows always have an odd number of seasons*.

Firefly, The Wire, The Shield, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Buffy, Six Feet Under etc etc.

If you want to be a great, go out on an odd number.

*Sopranos is the exception which proves this rule.

January 30 2009 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

At least they got one season in in true HD. I know Friends never did have even one season in HD.

January 30 2009 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjh

YEAH! It's about time, I've always hated that show.

January 30 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

It's a rare show that stays decent past season 8 anyway. Even if Zach stayed, I bet ABC would order about 6 shows for next season and canned it after.

Also, I agree with Argus - Braff stayed for 8 seasons, he didn't do what Caruso or Shelly Long did.

January 30 2009 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I'm a fan of scrubs and I'm glad that it's ending. This season has been awful. It just doesn't feel like Scrubs. Much less comedy :( Also, there's way too much focus on the interns and none of them are funny (compared to previous seasons). This feels more like a new show rather than Scrubs.

January 30 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Max's comment
Dorv

Dude, I totally disagree! I mean, we knew going in that the main characters were going to be in less episodes to save some money (Thus actually being able to HAVE this season), so seeing a lot of this interns is to be expected.

That being said, I think this season has been really good.

January 30 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Roberts

I have to agree. The funniest moments this season have been the bloopers that roll with the credits.

January 30 2009 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis phillips

hope he meets the same fate that julian margulies had when she decieded er wasn't enough

January 30 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to dennis phillips's comment
George

I'm almost disappointed. After suffering through the last two NBC seasons, I wasn't sure I'd bother following the show to ABC, but I'm glad I did. They've actually allowed J.D. (and the other characters) to grow up. Even the weaker episodes are a little better because it feels like the characters are deeper. Also, Intern "Jo" is kinda hot.

January 30 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply