July 22, 2014

The Middleman is probably dead, but fans can look forward to DVD

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 2nd 2009 1:08PM
the middleman abc familyABC Family announced its new lineup this week. The cable network's upcoming slate is full of what some might call "chick TV" with female-oriented series like Perfect 10, Ruby and the Rockits and 10 Things I Hate About You (yep, it's based on the movie) all receiving 10-episode orders.

This might be good news for young female TV-addicts, but sci-fi fans are no doubt bummed that Kyle XY and The Middleman will not be returning to the network.

Kyle XY will end after its current third season, and the prognosis is not good for the wonderfully zany Middleman. Though the fate of The Middleman was not mentioned in the new lineup announcement, it's probably fair to say that we've seen the last of Matt Keeslar and Natalie Morales fighting talking apes and evil Lucha Libre wrestlers. According to SyFy Portal, sources at ABC Family say the network has no plans to order any new episodes of The Middleman, and Morales seems to have moved on. She's starring in the Boldly Going Nowhere pilot, which is expected to be picked up by Fox.

There is some good news for Middlefans. The first season of The Middleman will hit DVD this summer. The DVD is being produced by Shout! Factory, who put out great sets for Freaks and Geeks and Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'm with the folks at i09 who are encouraging readers to grassroots promote the hell out of this DVD when it comes out. The Middleman might not have mass appeal, but it deserves to be seen and hailed as one of the best, funniest and weirdest things to end up on TV in years.

Alice

These two shows were the only times I ever visit ABC Family... bye bye ABC Family.

February 03 2009 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hawthorn

My little pony! That's just gosh darn unfair. What a great series.

February 03 2009 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charleswheeler

Oh crud!

Now we have to start fighting evil ourselves.

Bummer...

February 02 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkdealer

I'm really sorry about Middleman--I only discovered it part of the way through and was looking forward to it being rerun so that I could catch the first episodes. It was entirely too intelligent and funny for network tv!

February 02 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Not only is the Art Crawl cancelled, but a space just opened up in the illegal sublet Dub-Dub lives with her equally photogenic artist roommate, Lacy.

Bah.

February 02 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

The Middleman was a joke. I'm sorry, I watched the first episode, and it was literally painful. I watched a bit of the second episode, and it was similar.

Kyle XY's cancellation is much bigger news, and I'm surprised TV Squad is burying it inside a post on the worthless Middleman show getting its just deserts.

February 02 2009 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

If I wasn't convinced before, I'm now completely convinced that all network executives are complete and utter bastards. Bastards, I say!

February 02 2009 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

alas, i enjoyed those shows for what they were worth. i was surprised that Kyle XY lasted as long as it did. and The Middleman was completely out of place on ABC family. but it gives comfort that one day it will a cult show whose cancellation will be bemoaned by hundreds of thousands.

February 02 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

So I assume that Art Crawl! is cancelled this year. Bummer.

February 02 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

Unfortunately networks hate zany and smart and well, anything quality...I got a suggestion for quality tv viewers..most people put stuff like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars in the background while they cook or clean...so if you see this while at a friend's house...just change the tube..put it on a quality program more than likely they won't notice and you'll help the ratings of good shows..

February 02 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply