April 18, 2014

The Super Bowl Commercials: The Best - VIDEOS

by Richard Keller, posted Feb 2nd 2009 1:10AM

The best ads from Super Bowl XLIII(NOTE: The following post talks about my favorite commercials of this past Super Bowl. There are absolutely no spoilers in this post. That is, unless you didn't watch the Super Bowl, recorded it for future viewing, and have decided to ignore every single other media outlet, as well as friends and family so no one tells you who won. If that's the case, don't blame us for your extremely poor time management skills.)

Well, it's all over except for the pack-up, the clean-up and the over-analyzing of the analyzing of the game that was actually played in Tampa. Super Bowl XLIII is now in the history books and so are its commercials. This year featured some returning companies, some new ones, plenty of NBC promos, and a koala puppet being punched in the face. In other words, a bit of everything. Out of all of them, here are some of my favorites.

(NOTE 2: The embedded videos come courtesy of Hulu. If you cannot view these videos I have linked the commercial titles to another site that you should be able to view.)

Bridgestone ("Taters"): This commercial was just cute until Mrs. Potato Head switched from her surprised eyes to her angry eyes. Then, it became very funny.

Cash4Gold ("Heeere's Money"): At first I thought this was going to be one of those talky commercials that Ed McMahon has done in the past. Then, MC Hammer came on screen to sell his MC Hammer gold medallions. The next thing you know, everything Ed and MC were bringing out was gold. The ironic thing about this is I'm sure Ed probably sold some stuff to Cash4Gold in order to get out of bankruptcy.

Careerbuilder ("Tips"): This was one of those commercials that got progressively funnier as they repeated the scenarios. For some unknown reason that may actually mean I have a brain disorder, I just cracked up when that puppet koala got punched in the head. Maybe it was because he wore glasses.

Doritos ("Power of the Crunch"): There seems to have been a trend this year of getting the big laughs at the end of the commercial. This Doritos ad lands in that category. While the commercial itself was interesting, the consequences of the main character were the funniest.

E*Trade ("Talking Baby"): Okay, I was a bit negative with last year's entry by E*Trade. This year I found it endearing. I think it was the new baby added to the mix. When he started using the golden pipes, I just had to smile.

NBC Promos: I decided to group these together into one item because I thought that they were all good. The best was the Heroes gang playing against the NFL veterans. The other good one was the LMAO surgery being used to correct issues after viewers watch the Thursday comedy lineup.

Hulu ("Alec and Huluwood"): I knew Hulu was invented to rot our brains! God, why didn't I see it before? Probably because I was watching Hulu as it rotted my ... um, was I saying something?

CastrolUSA

I may be biased, but I thought the grease monkeys were pretty awesome. If you want to see it, check out the video here http://bit.ly/4Jr2

February 03 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

It was just sad to see Ed McMahon in the Cash4Gold add. Yes, Hammer was funny but McMahon just looked very, very old and frail.

February 02 2009 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Seconded the over-use of Hulu on this site. I love TV Squad but almost every time something about this site annoys me, it usually ends up being because you're owned by AOL :(

February 02 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

By the way, Hulu is a joint work between NBC and Fox. The fact that you linked to NBC does not help. Its just another site Canadians can't watch.

February 02 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I didn't enjoy any of the NBC promos probably because I don't watch any NBC shows. So I was either out of the loop on the inside knowledge about the characters involved, or simpy uninterested in them. For example, the one where the Heroes played football, I didn't understand what was going on until pretty far into the ad. Even then I didn't get all the nuance since I have no idea what skill each Hero has.
The other ads were also pretty forgetable for me.

February 02 2009 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

spike.com/superbowl has most of the commercials available there to check out. Not sure if it's available north of the border though. But you can at least check it out.

Alec in Huluwood got my vote as the best commercial. But then, my brain is already mushy.....

February 02 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CastrolUSA

I may be biased, but I thought the grease monkeys were pretty awesome. If you want to know more, check it out here: http://bit.ly/17AfP

February 02 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

How could you leave the Conan- Bud Light commercial out? It was by far the best on of the night.

Http://www.joeonthetube.com

February 02 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MDD

Alec Baldwin is the best... the Hulu commercial made me smile.. and the punching of the Koala Bear in the Careerbuilder made me chuckle...

February 02 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I LOVE that 2 of your ads are also on Bob Sassone's worst list.

February 02 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply