November 26, 2014

The Super Bowl Commercials: The Worst - VIDEOS

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 2nd 2009 2:10AM
Super Bowl(Editor's Note: In anticipation of editing the Best/Worst Super Bowl ads, I paid close attention to the ads while I was watching and decided that some could go either way. Sure enough, Rich and Bob picked a couple of the same ads - Cash4Gold and CareerBuilder. Check out Rich's Best Super Bowl ads, and tell us which category you think the ads fall into ... Jane Boursaw)

There weren't any Super Bowl ads that made me want to kick in my television set this year, but I think that says more about the dullness of the ads rather than any brilliance. There weren't many memorable ads. I asked a friend of mine about the ads, and she said, "I think there was a cute one, I don't remember what it was."

Below are the five ads I chose as the worst of the night (not including the movie ads - those are in a different category and shouldn't be counted when you're judging the commercials). They range from confusing to lame to downright sad.

1. Sobe: "Lizard Lake." They were on my Worst list last year, too. This ad manages to squeeze everything into one ad - quirkiness, supposedly cute animated creatures, funky music, and a bit of strangeness. The result is just dumb and laughable (and not laughable in a good way). Hard to tell what the hell they're even selling until the very end of the spot.

2. Cash4Gold: "Heeeere's Money."
Here was the sad commercial I mentioned above. It's one thing to see MC Hammer in an ad like this, but it continues to bum me out to see Ed McMahon in them, looking frail and desperate. And for the last time, Cash4Gold, I AM NOT GOING TO SEND YOU MY GOLD THROUGH THE MAIL IN AN ENVELOPE.

3. All the car ads. 99.9% of all car ads, even if they're not on Super Bowl Sunday, are pretty lame. What can they possibly tell you in a quick, catchy ad, especially when most of the car ads don't even say anything about what the car actually does. I also hate when they put cars and trucks through outrageous obstacles (fire, drops from high places, flying through the air) that would never, ever happen in real life.

4. All the Monster.com/CareerBuilder ads.
I don't get these ads at all. They make it sound like if you're fed up with your dead-end cubicle job, you can log onto these sites and get the job of your dreams. But is that really the case? Aren't the jobs listed on these sites just the same type of job you already have? If you really want to change your life, start your own business or marry someone who has a lot of money. Going to these sites is fine if you know what types of jobs you're going to find there, but if you're expecting something life-changing, it's probably not going to happen. You would think that in this economic climate, these sites would be able to grasp the opportunity to appeal to job-seekers, but these ads are just lame.

5. Bud Light: "Swedish."
I think there was a time when just seeing Conan O'Brien mugging would guarantee a bunch of laughs. That time has now passed. Maybe this ad was better on paper than actually filmed. We get it: Sweden, Conan is wacky, etc. It just wasn't funny, and it certainly doesn't make me want to drink Bud Light.

Gill Garcia

I enjoyed both the CareerBuilder.com and Monster.com ads, I felt that they were the most unique amongst the field of ads that were shown on Sunday. The car ads were annoying, save the Audi one as pointed out by an earlier poster, but I truly loved the one second Miller ad!

February 03 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mc

Why has no one reviewed Puppy Bowl V? It was great.

February 03 2009 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I thought the Conan commercial was amusing, but I saw it as a parody of all the big stars who shill for Japanese products with "no viewing in America" clauses in their contracts, so that helped.

MacGruber seriously sucked, though. Even RDA himself couldn't save it.

February 02 2009 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJC

The opening of MacGruber was hilarious: a dead-on parody of the MacGyver opening credits, down to the fuzzy '80s film quality. Sadly, the rest of the spot sucked.

February 02 2009 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

3 of your worst I have in my top 10 best. I think the Conan Swedish Commercial was the best of the night.

February 02 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I LOVED the careerbuilder ad with the koala! It was really the only commercial that was immediately unforgettable and hilarious at the same time.

February 02 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

"All the Monster.com/CareerBuilder ads. I don't get these ads at all. They make it sound like if you're fed up with your dead-end cubicle job, you can log onto these sites and get the job of your dreams. But is that really the case?"

Not all of us can sit in our mother's basements blogging...

j/k.

February 02 2009 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Frank's comment
eric f

Come on... A koala with glasses getting punched in the face is hilarious. There is no denying this."

It was funny... once. Showing it a dozen times was not funny.

The budweiser horse in love commercial was the worst waste of money, I'd say. it looked pretty expensive to produce and was completely pointless. Sobe came in a close second. besides the technology, shooting in the studio is cheaper.

February 02 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladytex

oh yeah ... the mcgruber one was THE worst

February 02 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

Ok, I liked the careerbuilder one where the you wanted to hit small animals. It was hilarious.

February 02 2009 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply