October 1, 2014

The Big Bang Theory: The Financial Permeability

by Kona Gallagher, posted Feb 3rd 2009 2:10AM
bbt sheldon penny(S02E14) Yay, The Big Bang Theory is back, and it didn't let me down. While this episode as a whole wasn't overly spectacular, it was full of fun interactions that definitely makes it one of the better ones of the season so far. As soon as we saw Penny and Sheldon together, you knew it was going to be good. Even better? Sheldon, for perhaps the first time, shows a side of his crazy that isn't completely off-putting.

I really like how, in his own way, Sheldon tries to be the best friend possible. In the cold open, where the gang was trying to figure out where they would go to the movies, and everyone decided to just go without him, Sheldon didn't get angry -- he realized that it was, in fact, the only option. While self-awareness may not be his strong suit, at least he does recognize that people can't always bend to his idiosyncrasies.

Loaning money is always an awkward situation between friends, which is why it's so funny that it ends up being the least awkward thing Sheldon has ever done. He's completely understanding and, dare I say, laid back about the entire situation. He's cool with Penny paying him back when she can, and didn't even make up a detailed payment plan or algorithm or whatnot.

I wasn't thrilled with Penny's ex coming back, since I really feel as though we've seen enough of him and Penny should probably know by now that he's a jerk. Also, I understand that Leonard is shy, but when Penny started going on about how Kurt just "decided" that he would pay her back, I would have ripped my hat off and said, "oh really, that's interesting!"

But then again, if he had done that, we may not have gotten Sheldon's amazing song at the end. He has a really good voice -- could there perhaps be a musical episode in our future? Okay, probably not, but if they can find more excuses for Sheldon to sing, that would be fun.

Some of my favorite lines from this episode:

Penny: "Wow, you've got a lot of money in there."
Sheldon: "That's why it's guarded by snakes."

Penny: "No, I can't. Sheldon, honey, I don't want things to be weird between us."
Sheldon: "Won't it also be 'weird' if I have to say hello to you every morning on my way to work and you're living in a refrigerator box and washing your hair with rainwater?"

"You know, I've given the matter some thought, and I think I'd be willing to be a house pet to a race of super-intelligent aliens." -- Sheldon

Leonard: "What was the plan?"
Penny: "Um, waitress for six months and then become a movie star."
Leonard: "Was there a Plan B?"
Penny: "TV star."

Leonard: "Okay, is everyone clear on the plan?
Wolowitz: "Yes. Koothrappali is going to wet himself, I'm going to throw up, Sheldon is going to run away, and you're going to die. Shall we synchronize our watches?"

RennaCalix

I thought this was a great episode. Not only did it have it's own great elements, but they are remembering to refer back to things that have happened in prior episodes for some of the jokes.

February 03 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kendra

I loved the opening. The Red Vines vs. Twizzlers debate. (though I happen to prefer Twizzlers and Sheldon was eating Red Vines later in the episode) And my favorite line - "In what universe does a Slurpee equal an Icee?" This is by far my favorite show on TV. I laugh out loud so much every episode.

February 03 2009 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Holy Crap on a Cracker this was a great episode!!!

The best part of the show is trying to remember all the great lines and this show had even more great moments than usual. I record "House" and "Chuck" in HD so that means I have to watch BBT "live" OTA. That means no second chances if I miss anything and no instant replay for the good stuff. While I agree with all the stuff you included there were a few highlights you left out of your article:

1) The whole exchange between Raj and Howard about their secret love of culturally forbidden foods was PRICELESS! Those two have moments like this often and last night's was the best one yet.

2) Not only was the "that's why it's guarded by snakes" bit great but then the other bit about his stash in one of his superhero figurines was a nice addition as well. That part was made even better by Leonard's throwaway punchline at the end of the show about "two fifties hidden in Green Lantern's butt". Also PRICELESS!

3) I'm also unhappy about Penny's old b/f coming back into the picture but honestly, the point has been made more than once about her part not having anything to do. This show alone gave her part the much needed boost the show needed to keep Penny from becoming too one-dimensional.

4) The whole sarcasm thread was EPIC and I can't believe you didn't mention it. Not only did we get Sheldon's take on it more than once but we also got Penny's "acting" abilities played on Leonard when she said she wouldn't be able to keep her hands off of him.

I'm ready for the whole season to come out on DVD so I can start watching them all over again. Love it!

February 03 2009 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pantrygirl

It wasn't kindness but logic that led Sheldon to lend Penny the money and understand why the guys went to the movies without him. That's what made it believable and extremely humorous.

When you boil down some of the hairy friendship scenarios, lending money, moving, meeting parents to logic, they aren't so uncomfortable.

Anyone else wonder what is in Sheldon's social interaction journal?

February 03 2009 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KamenRiderTakoyaki

I thought this episode was okay, BUT it would've been better if the whole episode was about how Sheldon became blondie's sugar daddy.

February 03 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Question:

Does anyone know how "Big Bang Theory" is doing in the ratings? This show rocks.

February 03 2009 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chadwick hansford's comment
Pix

It's doing great, it's CBS's third comedy in demos, after Two and a half men and How I Met Your Mother, and it pulls average 11-12 million viewers (and that is against HEAVY competition).

February 03 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zagnut

I don't think it was kindness so much as logic which seemed kind. He had the money, he didn't need the money, she did need the money, so why not loan it to her. It was his lack of emotion about it that made him seem nice because he wasn't resentful about how long she'd keep it, etc.

February 03 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhoElseButME

Monday was SLAMMED with TV goodness.
This episode was very good. Sheldon does have a pleasant side which would make him a good friend who is tough to deal with at times (or most times?).

February 03 2009 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply