April 20, 2014

Fringe: The Transformation

by Jane Boursaw, posted Feb 4th 2009 7:23AM
Fringe - The Transformation

(S01E13) "God, I hope I never have to hear him say the word 'nipple' again." - Peter, on Walter discussing nipples

Finally, we get back to some of the intriguing stuff that I love about Fringe. I was beginning to think they'd forgotten all about Nina Sharp, John Scott and Massive Dynamic.

Several things were revealed to key players: Olivia learned of the existence of John Scott, being held in a vegetative state at Massive Dynamic; Charlie learned of Olivia and John's memories being merged in her head; and WE learned that John Scott is indeed a good guy. Or is he?

The ending seemed a little too pat for me, with John helping Olivia and the fringe crew from beyond his consciousness, and then he and Olivia sharing a special moment on the dock at the end. By the way, I wonder where he got that ring. I guess anything can happen in a dream/memory state, including surviving a gunshot to the chest by your lover.

I kind of liked it better, though, when we weren't sure whether or not John was a bad guy. I mean, where do we go from here? If we're to believe the story he told Olivia -- which seems likely since he said to trust Hicks, and Hicks indeed helped them when Olivia and Peter went to the meeting -- then this chapter of the story is ending. John Scott will fade away out of Olivia's memory, and Olivia and her team will (maybe) begin investigating the secret task force John told her about.

And what about The Observer? Has anyone seen him in the last few episodes? How will this black ops task force tie into The Pattern and the experiments that Walter was doing way back when?

Other thoughts:
  • Walter is usually pretty sure of himself, so it seemed weird when John was able to see and talk with Olivia in her visions.
  • I wasn't sure about Charlie, but he definitely seems like one of the good guys.
  • Astrid actually had some meaningful input in this episode, when she asked Olivia what her instinct was telling her about John.
  • Any theories on what "he was called back to the basement" means? As I recall, John led Olivia down to a basement storage area several episodes ago. Maybe it's got something to do with that.
  • Maybe when John was on the roof aiming his giant weapon at Conrad's car speeding away, it wasn't that he didn't know it was Conrad. It's because he knew and couldn't or wouldn't carry through with the deed. Yes, I'm still hanging onto the theory that John's playing both sides or was/is being mind-controlled.
  • The NSA couldn't confirm anything John told Olivia, and as Broyles said, the department still considers him a traitor. I think Broyles knows more than he's saying, but I guess that goes without saying.
  • Mr. Jones will be back next week. It'll be fun to see what that's all about. And it looks like next week might be the finale, so I hope they leave us with lots of things to ruminate on until the next season.
Your thoughts on this episode?

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

ReesieKitty

I like Fringe- its really starting to grow on me. At first I wasn't that interested in Olivia, but she is a nice, cool and calm foil to the more wacky and emotional antics of Walter and the others. I think Walter is a hoot- I don't even care when they go for the easy laughs with him, because he IS so funny! I like it when Astrid gets more to do, as well. And I really enjoy the relationship developing between Walter and his son- it is a lot more interesting than just watching a predictable tv romance unfold. We're sticking with Fringe for now...

February 10 2009 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karin

It also incurs my wrath because for every stupid f@#king show like "Fringe" that gets extended because people like it,

Wow....I thought that's what TV was supposed to do, entertain me. So you're saying if I like it that's a bad thing. How about this...you don't like it. Go watch something else. Stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us. I like the show just the way it is. Warts and all. Nothing in life is perfect. I HATE Batalstar Gonzo. It sucks eggs. So to me it's a LOUSY show. I'll take Fringe any day.

February 07 2009 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Karin's comment
Chuck

Well said. I like both shows, personally, I'm tired of people getting on here with nothing to offer besides "this show was crap" and then defending their comments with "I'm just trying to offer an opinion, I thought this was an open forum?" sorts of stuff. Open forum, sure, but if all you have to offer is how much you don't like the show, then please express that in silence.

And watching the show simply because you LOVE the GENRE is stupid, stupid, stupid. I LOVE the GENRE too, but that doesn't mean every show in it is good and shold be watched. That's just fanboy.

And while we're not on the subject, must every law enforcement-type show with wierd things going on be compared to the X-Files?

February 08 2009 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesus

I have this feeling the sister knows more than she's saying. Perhaps the sister is involved some how.

For those who complain about people who watch the show and complain, realize that if the show was truly terrible, they probably wouldn't watch. But when the show is almost good but the plot is sloppy, it frustrates them. Hell after The Wire (imo probably one of the most well thought non-sloppy shows ever made), I was disappointed to see Lance Reddick play such a seemingly flat character. And even if he turned out to be a bad guy, that adds complexity but not depth. And all the characters, perhaps with exception to Walter, are under developed.

February 05 2009 at 6:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jesus's comment
GerryofNorVA

Amen, Jesus.

February 05 2009 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I really preferred it when Olivia was getting snippets of insights from John Scott's memories to help her along with her investigations. It gave her a sort of superpower (like science is Walter's). Now that they've (too pattedly) wrapped that story line, I am really feeling unsatisfied. I think they just took the easy way out because the actor was leaving. It could have been a good thing to keep Olivia's mistrust of her own self alive for the show, so we have an internal battle the character is always fighting.

I was fully on board with the whole episode 200% until they started going the route of wrapping up Scott, then it fell flat a bit for me. And even when Astrid tells Olivia to trust her self because she is a pretty good judge of character, I thought that was a big leap 'cuz she was after all sleeping with a guy that was lying to her (irrespective of if he was good or bad). John Scott was Olivia's "crutch." What are they going to replace him with? Her sister and the kid? I have to say, I was scared for Emma when she almost got liquified, but I don't really care about them, or Olivia's side story involving them (maybe I will soon?).

I really want them to keep moving on Peter's storyline though. They keep revealing little snippets of his childhood, and little glimpses into his dark world as an adult, but I am not getting a picture that seems to be coming together at all.

February 05 2009 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thegoddesskiara

Why do people watch this show and write comments on it's review if they hate it so much. Just stop watching... I like this show as does my family. I hope it does get picked up for a second season it's by far better then all the reality crap on.

February 04 2009 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to thegoddesskiara's comment
GerryofNorVA

I'm with you Tom, but I have a kernel of hope for this show still. It's like the show is run by grown ups but the writers are kids. Two things stuck out badly for me this week: (1) Not that I'm complaining but what happened to pain-in-Olivia's-@ss Sanford Harris ?! It was as if he was never on the show! (2) the Dawson's Creek romantic ending made me physically ill, gahd I hope that was a one-time fail.

And yes, I want to see Nina, Massive Dynamics, The Pattern, and Mr Jones EVERY freakin' week, otherwise it's the same ol' X-Files formula where they do three standalone monster eps to every one of the alien conspiracy thread. It will kill - KILL - the series if they write it like the X-Files. I WANT to Believe (oops, bad choice of words?!)

February 04 2009 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I really enjoyed this week's episode of "Altered States: The Series."

I wonder what they will be ripping off next week. Other than the X-Files.

My best guess is that they wrote John (Mark Valley) off the show and brought his storyline to a tidy ending so quickly because the writers, knowing what a complete pile of crap they are putting forward each week, never believed in a million years that this show would be picked up for a full season, and they knew (or thought) that they had to tell a complete story because they weren't going to get a chance to continue with this material. Just an educated guess.

My only hope now is that a full season was a blip, and they won't pick up a second season of this drivel, or I guess we can always pray for another writer's strike.

February 04 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom's comment
GerryofNorVA

LOL, that's so dead on - Altered States: The Series. 2 funny.

February 04 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

At first when I saw the guy on the plane transform it reminded me of wear-wolf Sonic, but then when the plane crashed on the ground and the body was shown it looked a lot the special infected tank from Left 4 Dead.

February 04 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

Funny that Mark Valley and Anna Torv just got married in real life.

February 04 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to metz's comment
GerryofNorVA

Holy moly, Metz, you're right! Eww. The "John Scott" guy is 15 yrs older than "Olivia", WTH ?! They got privately married in December. Here's a creepy quote from him, "She's my favorite on the show to be honest with you." What, was he an obsessed fan ?! Here's the press release detail page at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1396022/news#ni0669156

February 04 2009 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bladev1

What is going on with Airplanes these days, Hollywood must really believe we are over September 11th. Two plane incidents on Fringe, 24 has two planes collide in mid air, and Heroes is going all Lost with a plane crash. geesh

February 04 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply