August 28, 2014

Can Trust Me be saved?

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 5th 2009 2:01PM
Trust MeI'll admit that I'm not too thrilled with TNT's new drama Trust Me yet. I want it to be much better than it is.

Of course, the key word there is "yet," because we all know that TV shows can get better as they go along in their first season, and even into their second. Unfortunately, we now live in a fast-paced TV world where shows have to pretty much be a hit from the get-go. Sure, shows on premium cable networks like HBO andf Showtime often get a longer honeymoon because there's less ratings pressure, but for the most part, shows either have to be a big hit early, show growth over the weeks (in general or in a certain demographic), or have to have a lot of "buzz" that cancels out (at least temporarily) any notions of a cancellation (like Gossip Girl).

But Trust Me? The ratings are in free fall.

The show got around 3.4 million viewers for it's debut episode a couple of weeks ago, and this past Monday's second episode only attracted 1.6 million. That's a big drop (even if the TNT promos do declare it "the next smash hit"). There's only been a couple of episodes, and I'm in it for the long haul, but it seems to me that the only people who seem to have an interest in it are Eric McCormack/Tom Cavanagh fans or people who like the world of advertising.

Are you going to watch the third episode of the show this Monday?

shari

Have to admit I'm done with this show after two episodes as well. I've been in advertising/marketing for about a decade & I'm still waiting for something even remotely clever. Two episodes trying to come up with a mobile phone tag line & the best they can do is "What can you do with one hand?" (Oh brother) or "Do thumbthing"? If you're going to produce a show about advertising, make sure you can write something smart.

On top of that, not one character is likable. And the new copywriter who's supposed to be so talented has yet to do anything but complain about not having an office with a window. One word describes this show: annoying.

February 06 2009 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I'm still liking it. Its not perfect, but its still different enough that I'm still interested.

February 06 2009 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danial

I think they just need to decide where they fall: are they trying to be a comedy or a drama... so far I feel like they haven't quite decided where they want to be, and are resisting going far into either.

It seems odd.
Or maybe it's just me.

February 05 2009 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennieO

Eh, it's just not worth it. My TiVO is loaded with shows I'm trying to get to, and as much as I like the two leads, this one's a dud. When it's cancelled, there will be barely a ripple.

February 05 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I think both Eric McCormack and Tom Cavanaugh are great actors. But so far, this is the Will and Ed show and it is not very original. I am waiting for them to push the edge or get in to a groove. But it is just a coupe of guys comming up with ads. While this is the baseline premise of Mad Men, the characters go a whole lot deeper into the tone of the early 1960's. This show has got to go somewhere otherwise TNT will remove it from my Tivo for me.

February 05 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

The 2 leads are great, and have very good chemistry. I'm still watching. But I don't think it fits the times--a show about frivolous ad campaigns and wealthy, materialistic people producing...advertising? Doesn't work in today's back to basics, resent the overpaid bankers, punish the CEO flying in his corporate jet mindset.

February 05 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey8051

Wow StillBash. Bob was right. There have been a couple of episodes. How on earth does him getting that right mean he's not watching it?

Anyway, I wanted to love this show, but I don't. I'll give it one more episode to catch me, then I'm giving up. There are just too many good shows on to waste time on something I don't love. Plus I have a full time job and kids......so yeah, not a whole lot of tv time to begin with.

February 05 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Wow cool.

"A couple of" equals "2".

Just admit you don't watch it Bob. Nobody else does either.

February 05 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Nope, I'm in marketing/advertising and I had no interest in the show.

February 05 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I agree with all the comments above, this show had great promise with two good actors, and they're good, but they don't have anything to work with from the writers. There's really no good material here that is new or fresh.

I watched both episodes hoping the second was better, but I've got so many other shows I'm watching, I'm going to take it off my list.

February 05 2009 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply