October 21, 2014

The cool thing about Caprica premiering on DVD is ...

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 6th 2009 12:00PM
caprica pilot DVDHere's more proof that Sci Fi Channel loves nerds – and their money. A limited edition "uncut and unrated" version of the Caprica pilot will be released on DVD April 21. That means fans can get an early look at the Battlestar Galactica prequel series starring Eric Stoltz and Esai Morales, which is slated to premiere on Sci Fi in 2010. The DVD list price is $26.98, according to Sci Fi. Great news, right? It gets better.

Because of the early DVD release, fans might get a chance to influence the development of the series. In a release, Mark Stern, Executive VP of Original Programming for Sci Fi, says the DVD release "affords the creative team an unprecedented chance to get viewers feedback before production on the Caprica series begins this summer."

Some more cool news: The uncut 93-minute pilot will also be available through digital download on April 21. Sci Fi also launched an official site for the Caprica DVD release. So far it only features a logo and the DVD release date, but what more do they need, right? The site could be made up of a million stills of Eric Stoltz looking all Jesusy in The Prophecy and I'd still rush out to buy the DVD in April.

Here's a list of bonus features for the DVD:

• Feature Commentary with Director Jeffrey Reiner and Executive Producer/Writer Ronald D. Moore and Executive Producer David Eick
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Video Blogs
  • What the Frak is Caprica?
  • The Director's Process
  • The V Club
  • The Birth of a Cylon

adhonus

How much will the digital download be? Where will it be available?

February 11 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I want it on Blu-Ray.

February 09 2009 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

Take your uppers people...this one's supposed to be more of a downer than BSG..(sad, but good)

February 06 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tobias's comment
aaron

The story "Caprica" has partly to do with the fall of human race with foreshadowing gallore. So with that...
"BSG" is already quite a downer, maybe you meant "Caprica" is more "brooding"?

That may be the same thing to some but I do see where you are coming from, pokemon.

February 06 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

I've got great idea! They could just...I don't know...play it on television sometime before 2010 and get our feedback that way!

If they want to make a quick buck, fine, I get that. But don't try to sell this to us as a way make our voices be heard, its aburd.

I want to see Caprica as much as the next BSG fan, but I'm not going to spend $25 to see the first episode early, especially since don't know if I'll even LIKE the series.

February 06 2009 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

If sci fi loved nerds they wouldn't have cancelled Stargate Atlantis.

February 06 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RevJonathan's comment
erroneous_nick

That cancellation was supposedly for purely financial reasons. At least they're giving us "Universe". They didn't have to, so while I'm still upset about the cancellation of "Atlantis" I do see the love in giving us "Universe".

February 06 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cander

"the first three thirds are awesome and then the headache begins..."

So the whole thing is awesome then?

February 06 2009 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Yeah uhm... I don't know I might want to see more of this before I shell out money. I'm currently burned enough by season 4 of BSG. Got all the DVDs standing next to me and can't decide whether I should open them to watch the extras or if I should simply sell them on eBay.

It's Neon Genesis Evangelion all over again... the first three thirds are awesome and then the headache begins...

February 06 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
TeenWolfie

For some reason, I'm enjoying the headache.

February 06 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply