April 23, 2014

The CW is making another vampire series

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 6th 2009 1:04PM
The CWThere can be no question about the demographic that The CW is trying to market to. It has just picked up the rights to create a show based on The Vampire Diaries series of books. Obviously, this is assuming that The CW will still be around at the actual time of broadcast.

I can see it now: some executive noticed the success of the movie Twilight with tween girls (that key demographic I was mentioning) and said to his/her assistant: "find me a book like Twilight but was released beforehand so nobody will sue us." Of course, it helps that The Vampires Diaries has been re-released since the success of Twilight and became a best-seller.

Of course, The CW has already has some experience with series based on books (Gossip Girl comes to mind), so this is probably paint-by-numbers as far as they're concerned. I can only laugh ironically because this is the same network (albeit with a different name) that canceled Angel.

avalon

I completely agree with Mary. I collect books. I'm in my 30's and have read everything from Jane Austen, Ayn Rand, John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, Tolstoy, Tolkien, to the Canterbury Tales, and everything in between. I read the Twilight books and loved them immediately! Just by chance, strumming through Borders, I picked up an omnibus of the 1st and 2nd of the Vampire Diaries, and was amazed at well written the stories were and the depth of the character (even minor ones) development. Not only that, I even started reading the Night World series. I love sci-fi/fantasy. I watch True Blood, Moonlight, watched New Amsterdam, loved Angel...and will probably check out Vampire Diaries if the CW can actually pull it off and air it. I have found that the tweens are as Mary said, indeed not all intellectual morons. Some actually are quite intelligent and simply enjoy guily pleasures and literary diversions, just like the rest of us. So, keep reading Mary!

March 18 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I'm not a tween. I'm a teen. It might be a shocker but there ARE fans of Twilight that are intellectual and not mindless HSM obsessed little 12 year olds.
I love Twilight and it was the reason that I picked up Vampire Diaries in Borders since Twilight was the first Vampire series that I read. However Vampire Diaries is a fantastic story and much different than Twilight. Idk, L.J. Smith's characters and plot are just so much more developed and thought out. Twilight is more black and white-whereas in Vampire Diaries you could completely hate a character in one book and then they do something seemingly out of character and you surprise yourself by completely loving them. I think turning the series into movies would have been better but I just hope that the CW can refrain from turning this into Gossip Girl with fangs.

February 14 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

Wasn't the WB gonna try "Dark Shadows" a few years back? And what ever happened with the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film version that was buzzed about last year?

February 06 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biahope

Being a grea fan of twilight, true blood and having read the vampire diaries ~I think It's a brilliant idea! Those books will make a perfect serie for sure!

February 06 2009 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Now, I'm pissed. Why didn't they just pick up moonlight instead? OK, yes, Moonlight probably had a high overhead and its audience skewed a little bit older, but still, a lifetime fan can mope ;)

February 06 2009 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

I just don't get the CW. They want more people to watch their network but they continue to put on shows that target a specific demographic thus eliminating any chance of increasing it's viewership. Not to mention the demographic they are targeting are not tunning in to see what the network is even putting on the air!! Who is being held responsible at the network for this continued approach that is not working??

February 06 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply