August 28, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Bradley Cooper/TV On The Radio - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Feb 8th 2009 5:02PM
I'm On A Boat
(S34E15)
Bradley Cooper, who are you and what are you doing on Saturday Night Live? I IMDb'd him before watching the episode and despite having seen many of his projects, I still couldn't attach him to anything. Is he best known for something? Or is He's Just Not That Into You his big break-out? Well, regardless, his performance in this episode wasn't mind-blowing, but at least it wasn't cringe-worthy either (exceptions can be considered for the Christian Bale sketch). The writers didn't give him anything terribly exciting and in the end we were left with a pretty forgettable episode. Here are some video highlights.

Cold Open (Reid/Pelosi): Bitter Democrats are inherently funny, so this was pretty amusing. Nothing laugh-out-loud, though.

"The Today Show": These are a little chuckle-worthy, but I'm curious to know if one has to be familiar with that hour of the Today Show to fully enjoy it. I usually have better things to do than watch Kathie Lee Gifford self-destruct int he mornings, like eat cereal and stare at the wall.

"I'm Gonna Have Sex With Your Wife": What? I guess this Bradley Cooper fellow is known for playing assholes. The only mildly amusing part of this was the looks of crushing self-loathing on the husbands' faces.

"I'm On A Boat": After Andy and Jorma teamed up for "Jizzed In My Pants", it was only fair for Akiva to get some starring action too. This song wasn't quite as catchy as "Jizzed In My Pants", but the quality of the video was spectacular. These things just get more and more hilariously professional looking. I also respect the boys for making the most out of these musical connections they have while they're still on SNL. It's going to be infinitely harder to get musical guests like T-Pain when a program isn't practically throwing these opportunities at them week after week. Don't forget The Lonely Island's new album "Incredibad" comes out on the 10th. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hunt down a nautical themed pashmina afghan for maximum stylin'.

"Weekend Update": This week's Update was okay overall. Mark Spitz and James Harrison were all right, but Bjork really made me laugh. I'm surprised SNL doesn't use her more; there's a wealth of crazy in there. Seth taking on the Michael Phelps-themed "Really?!?" was pretty interesting too. It wasn't quite as fun as it was with Amy, but Seth definitely pulled it off. His final call-out to the photographer was perfect. "You're a dick. I mean, really."

"Bad Guys, Good Conversation": This wouldn't have been funny even when the characters were relevant. I did like the modified pictures though, especially Bill Hader's extra-creepy Buffalo Bill one.

stg

and he was in Yes Man

February 09 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

Bradley Cooper was also on Nip/Tuck last season, a show that is usually reviewed on here

Hearts and Scalps son!

February 09 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Regarding TV on the Radio, I've been a fan for awhile, but I have no clue why they would choose those two songs to play in front of a national audience.

If you don't want to "sell out" to a national crowd, then don't take a gig on a nationally televised show.

Their tracks "Staring at the Sun" & "Wolf Like Me" are amazing tunes.

February 09 2009 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mterrific

I have the complete opposite opinion of the show. I thought is was one of the stonger episodes this season. (Which I guess still isn't saying much) I really liked 'I'm gonna sleep with your wife'. It was just weird enough to be interesting without making me cringe. I think bjork is too easy and i got bored with the character after 45 seconds. Kristin Wiig is awesome though.
'Bad Guys, Good Conversation' was rough but Bill Hader was really funny in it.
It is hard to place Bradley Cooper in your mind, even though he's been is so many things. But he committed to the sketches and I found him fun to watch.

February 09 2009 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Bill Hader's Buffalo Bill/Ted Levine impression was great, that skit was worth it just to find that out.

February 09 2009 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chad

Tv on the Radio???? Really????

What was that???

Really bad episode!!!!

February 09 2009 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I think he did as good a job as possible with what he was given. The show was weak, but what do you expect?

I believe that Alec Baldwin is hosting the next episode, so maybe the writers were saving their best stuff for their star host?

February 09 2009 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ambrose Chapel

He's also appeared in Wet Hot American Summer and done other great work with Stella.

February 09 2009 at 7:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe in LA

Um, didn't anyone here see that great series, "Jack and Bobby?" That is where we all got to know Bradley Cooper.

February 09 2009 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

"This song wasn't quite as catchy as "Jizzed In My Pants", but the quality of the video was spectacular."

Really?! I thought this song was extremely catchy.. and slightly more hilarious than JIMP video... Adam and Akiva think they are unstoppable because they are on boat.. hilarious! I felt a tiny bit ashamed.. is it me or is the track JAMMIN'?

February 09 2009 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply