July 29, 2014

Sex and the City sequel - a good idea?

by Debra McDuffee, posted Feb 8th 2009 9:03AM
Sex and the City cast from the movieI just watched the Sex and the City movie for the first time last night. I was a big fan of the TV show, and I really enjoyed the movie. Just like Serenity, it's always fun when a favorite TV show makes it to the big screen.

Coincidentally, this week I also learned that there is a Sex and the City movie sequel in the works. The girls have officially signed on ... but for what? Here's where the problem lies for me: Sex and the City was a great series and a decently entertaining movie. Can they really pull it off again?

I am always wary of sequels, but this case really gets me quaking in my boots. They are so lucky they pulled the movie off as a success. I loved seeing Carrie and Big finally tie the knot, I wept for Charlotte who finally has the life she's always dreamed of, and Miranda finally came around and accepted being a part of a family. And Samantha? Well, we got to see her acknowledge her selfishness, but at least it was in character. Why should Samantha evolve? I even loved Jennifer Hudson as Carrie's assistant.

So where could they possibly take these characters so that it is both entertaining and believable? I really don't want to see Carrie and Big plan a family, Miranda and Charlotte have found their lifelong niches, and I don't need to see two hours of Samantha having dirty sex with a bunch of younger guys. They can't realistically even focus on Jennifer Hudson's character since she moved back to St. Louis. And honestly, the girls out on the town are looking a little old and pathetic at this point.

I'd hate for the successful Sex and the City franchise to be ruined by taking it too far. The girls are right where we want them all to be, and the movie continued and wrapped up the series perfectly (it actually watched rather like a condensed TV season). Please, please, please don't blow it with a sub-par sequel that stretches the characters beyond the believable realm.

Bob

Here's a sneak peek at the trailer to the Sex and the City movie sequel:

February 16 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Why do a sequel? 400+ million dollars folks. They never saw that type of coin on HBO. I enjoyed the movie so I'm all for it.

February 09 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Yeah, I don't want to see a sequel to this and have the characters get messed up again from where they left off. Unless they do some kind of "girls go on vacation sans husbands and party it up" sort of thing (who knows), the only way they can stir up drama is to have Carrie and Big breed (ugh, no, not those two) or have Harry cheat on Charlotte. Ugh, don't want to see that.

February 09 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

I think there's enough room left.

Like Cathy said you only have to take a nice script of Desperate Housewives and make that into a movie, just with the cast of S&tC.

People will pay the big bucks for it, they will love it, and they will want more.

It's not like this franchise has been run into the ground like "Friends" with Season 10 or Star Trek with "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" (and the "Enterprise" TV-Show) - and now, seven years later, they do a Prequel - like BSGFan2003 suggested.

Oh and The Dark Knight was a sequal too and that movie was brilliant

WASN'T IT?!?!?

;-D

February 09 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
Debra McDuffee

You're right about people going to see it; I'm sure they will. No comment about Dark Knight .... ;-)

February 09 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

SATC was a great series. That said, the movie sucked and to have a sequel would ruin the show's legacy. SATC is jumping the shark!

February 09 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Debra -

How about a prequel?

Here's the trailer:

It's circa 1980's. All you see is a pair of wicked high heels running down the block.

The police officer who is chasing the woman finally catches her. One of her shoes falls off the cliff, (Star Trek reboot) I mean curb, and the officer asks her name.

The woman says, "Carrie (add middle name) Bradshaw" - Cue Music.

February 09 2009 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bsgfan2003's comment
Debra McDuffee

My concern with a prequel is that they are too old, and now that we've seen them evolve, how can we go back to their complete shallowness when they first moved to NY?

February 09 2009 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

I agree with you Debbie. I just wanted to indulge my idea of spoofing the Star Trek trailer!

It's wise not to discuss Dark Knight ;)

February 09 2009 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Audrey M. Brown

I feel like the only woman in the world who HATED that movie...it felt so sexist to me. I felt really patronized when I saw it. The women in the show were complex, the movie made them look like cheap stereotypes, and Carrie's actions made no sense. Big TRIED to talk to her outside of the wedding, and she didn't listen to him. I would think that the curiousity of why he didn't show would win out over the "I'm a Bridezilla and I'm a woman so I'm SO emotional" moment. I don't know.

February 08 2009 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Audrey M. Brown's comment
KittyGolucky

I totally agree with you Audrey! I hated the entire movie as well! The fact that she didn't listen to him outside the wedding coupled with the fact that she took him back so easily a year later made me feel like we stepped back about 40 years. Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge "Women's lib-er" but that entire movie really seemed to set back how far women have come. I found that movie to be the anti chick flick (emphasis on the anti chick).

February 09 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gottacook

Well, it's obvious how to proceed: Put them in a spacecraft and send them on a mission. This gets them out of NYC entirely, maybe even out of Earth orbit. Spouses and infants can stay behind; they can bring the handbags and shoes. They'll meet a few aliens and undergo bizarre transformations. This would be analogous to the early-1970s Saturday-morning cartoon Josie and the Pussycats turning into Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space. Why not?

February 08 2009 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aino

The only direction they'll take the show is that Aidan comes into the picture, throwing a wrench into the Big/Carrie bliss. Or there's a baby/no baby dilemma. SHould have just left well enough alone.

February 08 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply