April 23, 2014

Carlos Mencia dee-dee-dee-listed from Mardi Gras parade - VIDEO

by Danny Gallagher, posted Feb 10th 2009 2:02PM
This story hits a little too close to home for me since I'm a native New Orleanian and have spent more time at Mardi Gras parades than most of the floats in the parade. So forgive my impertinence if things get a little too personal in this post.

The Krewe of Orpheus should be given the Nobel Peace Prize for pulling their invitation to Carlos Mencia to ride in this year's parade. Then it should be immediately stripped for not having the decency to not invite him in the first place.

Here's how it works. Three of the biggest Mardi Gras parades called "Super Krewes" invite big name celebrities to ride in their parades the weekend before Fat Tuesday. No, Fat Tuesday is not the nickname people have for your mother's birthday. It's the actual Mardi Gras day.

Super Krewes like Endymion have offered invitations to celebrities like Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Fred Savage, Chuck Norris and David Schwimmer as Grand Marshals, an honor that loses all distinction when you realize they've also invited former beer spokesdog Spuds MacKenzie. I was there, and the sheer insanity of his presence made it the greatest moment of my life, greater even than the birth of my unborn child.

So Orpheus announced their list of celebrity trinket chuckers, and they actually had some pretty interesting and tasteful names like Mad Men's Bryan Batt and the entire cast of Reno 911!, ensuring a glimmer of hope that we might finally get to see Clementine's, er, floats. But far at the other end of that spectrum, farther even than an appearance by According to Jim's Jim Belushi, sat Mencia, which measured in feet would be somewhere at the bottom of Lake Pontchartrain.

Some in the blogosphere thought Mencia's presence at a Mardi Gras parade was a little tasteless, given the fact that he's joked about Hurricane Katrina and the effects it had on New Orleans WHERE MARDI GRAS IS HELD. It's like letting Michael Richards anywhere near the NAACP Image awards.

The jokes in question, according to a recent Times Picayune report, were made on his Comedy Central show, Mind of Mencia. The news was quite shocking because we didn't know anybody still watched Mind of Mencia.

Now whether or not you were offended by the jokes or whether or not you are from New Orleans really doesn't matter much to me. Offensiveness is a matter of taste, and it's impossible to please everyone's perspective. If he had to tailor his show to prevent anyone from being offended, it would make it and him even more unfunny than they already are.

The issue to me is the simple fact the Krewe even considered him. He's like an unfunny Don Rickles but without the jokes, charm or looks. If I were lucky enough to go back to my hometown and attend a parade and he was riding a float, I would immediately demand my money back, which is even more meaningful when you realize that Mardi Gras parades don't charge for admission.

mrburglar

He's a jackass in general. But the comment about rebuilding New Orleans is spot on. The entire city is below sea level, parts of it 20 feet below, and it's idiotic to think that something as bad as Katrina isn't going to happen again, and possibly quite soon.

They should rebuild it upriver, and above sea level.

February 11 2009 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrburglar's comment
Guy Incognito

Or, you know, fix the levees like they should have and it won't hurt as bad next time.

February 12 2009 at 6:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VC

Carlos Mencia is funny! Offensive and funny. Most of the time his jokes are right on point. He says the things people thing but are too punked out to say out loud. I admire him for that.

February 11 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Are they going to ban the person Mencia ripped the joke off from too?

February 10 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to LC's comment
Guy Incognito

No, I'm pretty sure they can't since Same Kinison is dead.

Carlos has done this joke before, too. Except it was about motor homes in "tornado alley", house has wheels, etc.

February 12 2009 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

LOL. Here I am making a crack on Mencia and his imfamous joke stealing and it turns out he actually did rip it off. Nice catch.

February 12 2009 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christian

Mencia is an offensive idiot. I'm embarrassed that he takes pride in being a racist, homophobic Latino or Mexican or whatever he wants to call himself this week. I'm Latino and I don't appreciate creating even more race issues just for the sake of a cheap laugh. He's ripped off Paul Rodriguez and George Lopez too many times to count. There's a difference between being funny and offensive. You can celebrate diversity with postivie laughter as opposed to inflammatory and racist remarks. I just wish he would dee-dee-dissappear.

February 10 2009 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Well, if you were there and Mencia was on a float AND if the Krewe of Zulu had already passed AND you got your Hurricane-soaked mitts on one of the coconuts, you could toss it at his "Gigantic Head®".

Should this come to pass, you would surely be invited to be next year's grand marshall if there is any justice in the universe.

(and by "Hurricane" I mean the drink, not the storm, for anyone who might get the wrong idea)

February 10 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply