April 24, 2014

CBS streams vintage shows online

by Debra McDuffee, posted Feb 10th 2009 7:11PM
Simon Baker as Patrick Jane in The Mentalist

CBS is connected to the pulse of America, people. They're at the top of the ratings race, The Mentalist is the hot new procedural this season and life is looking good for TPTB over at CBS.

I'm also wondering if CBS realizes how sick and tired most viewers are getting of the same old types of shows. With the lack of originality in new programming, I know I'm not the only one turning to my old favorites on DVD. I love reliving Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I'm now discovering Supernatural for the first time.

I swear I didn't tell CBS about my longing for all things retro, but they have bugged my house or tapped into my TV set or something, because their latest venture is streaming vintage TV shows on their site -- CBS's "TV Classics" player.

It's freaky, I tell you, because somehow they knew I'd watch MacGyver, Family Ties, and Melrose Place, not to mention Beauty and the Beast, Beverly Hills 90210, Perry Mason, The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks. There are other shows too, like Dynasty, Star Trek, Hawaii Five-O and The Love Boat.

So, is CBS watching your house, too? Pretty smart thinking on CBS's part....

mlawson6968

It's about time you discovered the best kept secret of the best show on TV at the moment Supernatural. This show is so well done and Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are in with the great group of younger actors.

February 12 2009 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

What about getting their current shows all up online too? We missed The Big Bang theory and would like to watch it legally.

February 11 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

It's interesting this is being offered by CBS, because MacGyver, Dynasty, Love Boat and Twins Peaks were originally on ABC

Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose were on FOX

And Family Ties originally aired on NBC

It would appear the Spelling library, and Paramount Television are now owned by CBS

February 11 2009 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

Now if they would only stream the Mentalist so I can catch up on the episodes I missed. I can't seem to find it anywhere online, not even on iTunes.

February 10 2009 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

Twin Peaks!!!! YAY!!!

February 10 2009 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to J.'s comment
Dorv

IIRC, its not the full run. As someone who never saw it (based on age) and wants to catch up, I need all of the episodes ;)

February 10 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I love that the networks have been doing this. It's slowing becoming a new trend for them.

And how could you not have discovered Supernatural until now!?!?!? The show is the unique, there is no other like it on right now.

February 10 2009 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emme

That's been going on for at least 6 months... Maybe a year? I'm still trying to catch up on "Chicago Hope" and "Angel" on Hulu, but maybe I'll get to some of those CBS shows, too. I haven't seen any of those. Anyone have any suggestions?

February 10 2009 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to emme's comment
Saavik

You really haven't seen any of those shows? Ever? Any advice would really depend on what kind of shows you like, but if you've never seen The Twilight Zone, that's a must. Star Trek, of course, is also a true classic and one you should see if you like sci-fi at all (and you might want to try an episode or two even if you don't -- The City on the Edge of Forever is a great episode). Similarly, if you like lawyer shows and/or mysteries at all, you should definitely try Perry Mason.

Besides those three, I'm partial to MacGyver and Family Ties. I don't think either of them is a classic in the same sense as Perry, Twilight Zone and Star Trek, but they're both fun.

My personal favorite is Perry Mason, but I would be much more excited about it if they had episodes from later seasons. They only have episodes from the first two seasons up online, both of which I've already got on DVD. But the show was on for nine seasons and I'm sure it's going to take a while for the later seasons to turn up on DVD, so it would be nice if we could watch those later episodes on the web in the meantime.

February 10 2009 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply