April 23, 2014

Guess which two shows are missing from this best of the 90s list - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 10th 2009 3:02PM
Everybody loves lists, right? That's why I was attracted to this AOL Television list of the best TV shows of the 1990s. Lots of good entries, some head-scratchers, and two incredibly glaring omissions.

You can immediately guess which shows are on the list: Seinfeld, The X-Files, Sports Night, Oz, The Sopranos, The Larry Sanders Show. There are some shows that I certainly would never put on such a list, but I can understand why they were chosen, such as Party of Five, Dawson's Creek, and Ally McBeal. I think this is probably yet another example of "best" being confused with "popular" or "buzzworthy." Actually, I would never include Ally McBeal on any sort of best of list.

But what really confuses me? There are two major shows, two shows that are often mentioned in a "best of" list (not just the 90s, but all-time) that aren't on the list! Can you guess what they are? Both appeared on NBC, and one of them was created by someone who created one of the above shows.

The two shows? NewsRadio and The West Wing.

How can either of these shows be left off of a best of the 1990s list? I'm actually asking. At first, I thought they left The West Wing off of the list because most of its run came after 2000, but many shows on the list started in one decade and ended in another, so that's not it. I think they just decided that Beavis & Butthead was better.

As for NewsRadio, well, I think they just forgot about that show for some reason. Pity. In protest, here is one of my favorite episodes, "The Bitch Session."

Dan German

Hulu sucks. Stop using it. The internet goes beyond the USA border.

February 12 2009 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

yeah newsradio needs to be on the list.

mystery science theater 3000 too.

TNG may have finished in '94 but if they had to put on star trek series on this list i'd say DS9 since it went from 93-99. i would've saved TNG for the 80s list...just to save room. Cheers should've been on the list too even if it only had the few remaining seasons but aol chose the spin-off as the 90s rep...which is fine but it should've been in the top ten.

but the west wing did start in the 90s even if it was 99 so it should be on the list...same with family guy.

February 11 2009 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

NewsRadio is not only the first show that comes to mind when I think of the best sitcom of the '90's, it's the first show I think of when talking about the best of TV ever.

February 10 2009 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
screaminghello

Some other 90's shows for your consideration. Some I think are really
great and others I at least fondly remember:

Angel
Just Shoot Me
Blossom
Baywatch
Home Improvement
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Wings
Herman's Head
Lois and Clark
Road Rules
Pop-Up Video

February 10 2009 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

You are spot on. News Radio and The West Wing belong on that list...

But that is what these lists are for... So people can generate buzz and talk around the water cooler about how stupid the list maker is because they left off this or that.

I don't give them much thought anymore.

February 10 2009 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jm

Arlis$$ ?

February 10 2009 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Leaving off the West Wing because it really only had half a season in the 90's would have been fine except for the Sopranos. I honestly think of both those shows being this decade, and not in the 90's. Both great and deserving to be on a list like this, except they really didnt spend much time in the 90's.

February 10 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmw

Everybody Loves Raymond anyone???

February 10 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Friends is on the list, #5.

February 10 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christopher_martone

You know, I thought the same thing -- that NewsRadio was likely not on the list -- before I read the full article; imagine how glad I was to see that I was not alone in that sentiment.

And then I realized it was Bob Sassone who wrote the article and thought -- well of course he would say that! :)

February 10 2009 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply