October 21, 2014

Half of One Life To Live's Buchanan family passed away this week

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 10th 2009 2:29PM
Clint RitchieMany years ago, while trying to figure out some way to convince my mom that she should watch what I wanted to watch instead of her stupid soap operas, I got hooked on soap operas. My main soap (sorry, "daytime drama") was Guiding Light (which I've started to watch again since an old favorite returned yesterday), but I also watched One Life To Live every single day for many years too. And then, well, I didn't. I probably couldn't tell you what the hell was happening on the show if I turned it on today, though I'm sure many of the same characters and actors are still on the show.

Except two. This has been a bad week for the Buchanan family as two of the top former actors from the passed away within just days of each other.

Clint Richie, who played Clint Buchanan on OLTL for many years, passed away last week at the age of 70. He appeared in other shows over the years too, including The Wild, Wild West, Dallas, Fantasy Island, Marcus Welby, M.D., and Daniel Boone. He had retired from acting and was living on his ranch.

Phil CareyIn an odd coincidence, the actor who played Ritchie's dad Asa on the show, Phil Carey, passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Carey's character died a couple of years ago but he was seen on the show several times in video wills, the most recent just at the end of December. Carey was on a ton of other TV shows, including All in the Family (shocking Archie by admitting he was gay), Little House on the Prairie, and Gunsmoke.

It's weird how I sometimes think of my mom when celebrities die, how she used to love the shows that they were on.

lynne

what a sad day -- phil and clint will always -- be asa and clint ... their faces - personalities and talent will be missed..

February 11 2009 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JND

Mr. Carey played Captain Parmalee on Laredo. RIP.

February 10 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Aww...I'll admit I watched this show (my wife got me started but I chose to keep watching for years, so I can't pass the buck!) up until a year or so ago when the storylines around Todd got excessively ridiculous. LOVED Asa. Sad week for the cast and crew I'm sure.

I still watch AMC about two out of five days a week. I had to start, my wife keeps telling me that she married Zack, I had to see what the dude was like. I don't have the money or the looks though. I do have the beard if that matters...but I digress.

Sorry to see you guys go, Phil & Clint. You did your roles proud.

February 10 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

It is indeed a sad day. Soap actors never get the credit they are due because of the genre they choose to work in. Both Clint Ritchie and Phil Carey (expecially Carey) were class acts and two of daytime's greatest. The world lost two fine actors this last week.

I'd like to think that they are together raising a glass of bourbon (the Buchanan drink of choice) toasting the old days.

Farewell old friends.

February 10 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandy k.

I also think of my mother (who died in 2007), when some of her favorite 'soap' actors die. For over 20 years after she retired, she was a regular viewer of the ABC soaps including ALL MY CHILDREN, ONE LIFE TO LIVE and GENERAL HOSPITAL. And when I hear of their deaths, it's as if some of her 'acquaintances' have passed on as well.

February 10 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply