October 2, 2014

Heroes: Trust and Blood

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 10th 2009 1:03PM
Heroes -
(S03E15)
The second chapter of the newest volume of Heroes wasn't quite as strong as the first one, but it kept things moving in a positive direction. I guess the writers were wanting to keep the fugitive heroes as weak in power base as possible, based on the casualty we experienced in this episode. In a way, I can say I knew it was coming, but was hopeful that it wouldn't. While I agree that the cast had gotten a little sprawling and out of control at times thorughout the series progression, I never thought this character was a problem.

And at the same time, we're working with a pretty small cast at this time anyway. We've got the band of fugitives, Nathan and his cronies, and Sylar's quest for fatherly love. I wanted the initial chase to last a little longer than it did. The idea of our heroes running through the woods trying to figure out how to get away from hunters hot on their tails was too good to wrap up so quickly and easily. And how good were those hunters anyway? They let everyone come back together at the crash site.

I guess I'm not as enamored with this chapter as I was with the first. As much as I got annoyed at the way Daphne pursed her lips, I liked her as a character, and she would have been handy to have around in their new lives. Not to mention adding some much needed estrogen to the fugitive band. The writers got Tracy captured, Claire sent home and Daphne dead. Don't think the ladies can handle life on the run? You don't have that many women on the cast to begin with.

We got some explanation of Peter's power, which makes it a lot more volatile and unpredictable than before. Not to mention a lot less powerful. Not only can he only have one power at a time, it looks like he has no control of the switch. Last week, when he touched Tracy he accidentally picked up her freezing power, subsequently losing Mohinder's super-strength.

So now we have a new game we can play. Right now Peter has Nathan's flight ability. But as soon as he touches anyone else, he'll lose that. Flight is a pretty handy ability when you're a fugitive. Certainly more effective than super-strength, power enhancement or even Matt's mental abilities.

Yes, Matt was able to take over that hunter and mow down the competition, but he can still easily be overwhelmed whereas Peter can just disappear. I would be interested to see what Matt is capable of when Ando-boosted, though. Assuming, that is, that he can learn to control the cacophony of voices he's overwhelmed by.

Hiro has switched places with Mohinder as the non-powered "hero" on the team. Now, when Peter got dosed with the serum, it brought back his powers, albeit in a reduced capacity. When Mohinder got doused with the serum, his power set was also reduced. So the door is open for Hiro to get a modified version of his powers back. I'm thinking, since they don't want the time travel he can settle for stopping time or teleportation.

Since they got rid of Daphne I don't think they want the fugitives to be able to move to new locations very quickly, so let's go with stopping time. Still very effective and potentially powerful, and it creates those cool visuals that made the show special in the beginning. Now we just get Nathan glowering at the screen all the time. At least it cuts away from Claire's whining scenes.

ReesieKitty

Lol, only Peter would be dumb enough to think a code name like 'REBEL' would make him sound all cool.

And my biggest problem: HIRO IS THE OWNER OF A MULTI-MILLION/BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY. No one seems to recall this, including Hiro. I mean aren't they wondering where he is? Would he not have put some measures in place so Ando or someone could use those resources to find him? And- as my fiancee pointed out- HIRO ISN'T EVEN AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. So Nathan just ordered this black ops team to Tokyo to kidnap him, breaking about a zillion international laws? Yeah, right. Why wouldn't Hiro just phone a secratary or someone and have them send the Concord jet to pick them all up instead of wandering around Arkansas?? Another completely silly plot device.

February 11 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ReesieKitty's comment
Phish

another very good point. it seems this show is based in a universe where there are no laws of society, no laws of nature, and definitely no laws of physics!
seems like tim kring has taken way too much acid, and expects his viewers to be on the same dosage!

February 11 2009 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

Getting rid of Hiro's time travel??

HOW does he meet Peter in the subway during Season One then?

This is ONE show I won't mind missing even though I have so much invested. SUCKS!!!!!! Heroes are just zeroes now.

February 11 2009 at 6:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hugeliver's comment
Phish

to use time travel is any story or plot line is VERY dangerous, the paradoxes are infinite!

February 11 2009 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
literaryluv

I actually like this episode although I felt the narration by Nathan was a little cheesy.

I absolutely loved Sylar's line to Luke: "I didn't kill you and that's a big deal for me" - Ha! he is by far my favorite character on this show.

As for Tracy - what does everyone think? Did Nathan kill her? Is she going to be put in a stupor with that tube in he nose?

I like powerless Hiro. I find him to be endearing. He is the most helpless yet he stays consistently courageous and loyal throughout.

So who is the text messaging rebel? I know the fugitive gang were going to use the cell phones one last time. Was it one of them trying to stay discrete? Was it Angela Petrelli creating her own resistance against Nathan? Or maybe it is someone new?

The thing with this episode was what I think happens a lot in this show: there are these moments of potential genius that become bogged down with equal instances of cliche writing and directing.

For example:
Seeing Matt Parker getting into the shooter's mind was a very cool point in the episode. Yet Nathan's narration took away from what could have been an extremely powerful scene. Imagine the scene without his narration. Letting Matt tell what happened without a word. Maybe its just me but that would have had more punch.

Another example:Peter's speech to the fugitive gang.
I mean this is it. Things really are going to change. The things Peter brought up really did communicate the gravity of their situation. But then a line like "doing things we can't even imagine" gets thrown in. I mean is there really anything these guys can't anticipate? I think at this point they are all pretty accustomed to the insanity.

Its nitpicking, I know - but these are the differences between mediocre and great.

Nevertheless I enjoy it. I look forward to it every week and I will watch it to the end. (Even if I do criticize every minute of it) ;-)

February 10 2009 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mills

How did Daphne run from Tokyo to Arkansas? Even with super-speed, wouldn't she still need something solid to push her feet off of to get anywhere... or did she just run really fast across the floor of the Pacific Ocean holding her breath.

February 10 2009 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mills's comment
malren

If you have enough velocity, the surface of water is hard, so in theory it could work...

February 11 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

shows that have jumped the shark and are hanging by a thread:
Heroes, Grey's anatomy

shows that went a little downhill, but came back better than ever to become the top shows of the day:
Lost, Battlestar Galactica

whats the difference? THE WRITERS / PRODUCERS!

Tim Kring and Shonda Rhimes should bow down and cower at the feet of Ron Moore, David Eick, Damon lindeloff and Carlton Cuse.

If only those 2 complete idiots had even 20% of the vision and talent of the latter group, their shows would at least be watchable.

February 10 2009 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nino

I sure no one cares. But I just thought I would say it...

I'm done with this show, I can't stand to watch it anymore, its so horrible!

It had such potential, Season 1 was awesome, but it never followed up on its promise thereafter, perhaps because what do you do after you save the world in the first season?

I'm taking this off my record list, I can't support this crap anymore, sorry to anyone who still likes this show...

February 10 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

So I know why this show has lost everyone, including me. I remember reading about Tim Kring saying next season he will change to an episodic format. This will not save the show because the problem isn't the serial nature of the show. Tim Kring's problem is that he continually betrays his viewers. People watch shows because they are interested in the world and the characters. During last week's episode I realized watching this show has become a chore for me because I don't care about the characters or world anymore. This is directly related to Mr. Kring's story writing. If you are writing a show you can not undermine your own story by always undoing it. Nothing in Heroes builds on the previous events for the long term. Because of this I don't believe that what is currently going on is going to matter so I don't care. Tim Kring has shot himself in the foot. He needs to make something matter on this show or I will stop watching. Does anyone else feel the same way?

February 10 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

Hmm... I guess I wasn't the only one who thought maybe the kid could be Sylar's little brother. Perhaps I missed something, but it looked like it was hinted at.

I liked this episode overall. Definitely not season 1 quality, but it's starting to feel a little "back on track" after season 2... finally. Hope that trend continues.

February 10 2009 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I swear you ppl bitch at everything. Honestly if you dont like the show just dont watch it. I read comments to see if other ppl think like I do (Ex: Is Luke Sylar's lil bro) This is worse than reading a soap blog. (For example: Nick slept with Sharon Yippee- now maybe she'll get over lusting after him) I mean my God!

It's finally starting to get good again. Besides Daphne is at least in the Chapter 17 episode. So we'll find out soon if she has indeed kicked it or not. Tho I seriously doubt it.
As for Claire whining- ppl come on, she's a flipping teenager. That would be like watch Buffy and there not being any teen angst. Mohinder is who bugs me. Maybe some powers will straighten him out.

February 10 2009 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Well...they didn't show Daphne dead. If she had died, you'd think they would have made a bigger deal out of her death scene and Parkman would have had a different reaction to her death. But they didn't make a big deal out of many of the deals in Volume 3 either. I'm holding out hope for now. Maybe I'm just holding out hope.

After I type that message above, I read episode descriptions for the next few episodes that pretty much settled the question on her status.

February 10 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply