September 19, 2014

The '90s X-Men series is coming to DVD this April - VIDEO

by Mike Moody, posted Feb 10th 2009 6:07PM
x-men dvd animatedIn case you didn't get the message with the DVD release of Next Avengers or Hulk Vs., Marvel wants to remind you that ninety percent of its animated output is incredibly awful. That's probably why they're finally releasing the '90s X-Men animated series on DVD.

Stop right there, X-Men fans; lemme explain my love-hate relationship with this series before you start typing four-letter words in the comments section.

I watched this cartoon on Fox faithfully as a kid, and I really loved it. It brought many of the classic X-Men comics stories to life – even some of the weirder ones – and introduced a generation of non-comic book fans to Wolverine, Cyclops and the rest of the gang. But even as a kid it was hard not to wince at the awful animation, the over-the-top voice acting, and the ridiculous melodramatic vibe of it all. Compared to the more sophisticated Batman: The Animated Series, which also aired during the early '90s, this thing looked and felt like an old episode of Thundercats, which was a shame.

The quality stories were there, but the quality production and writing was missing. Still, as awful as it was, it's now a guilty pleasure for me. I'll leave it on whenever I catch reruns on the tube, especially if Cable shows up.

The first of two double-disc volumes will be released on DVD April 28. Topless Robot says both volumes will contain 32 episodes all together, including the classic Phoenix saga, which itself was released on DVD in 2000. No extras have been announced, which is probably for the best.

infopedal

Though the animation was not as good and the over the voice acting as you mention i still loved it as a kid. I was practically glued to it. It meant the world to me back then :) im not sure if it still will now, but im sure to get it just for old time sake.

Amazing Articles

March 17 2009 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ianw

I have to agree with the quality comment on the show. Yes, it still had good characters, and semi-faithfully adapted some of the better stories, something the third movie couldn't do. But the voice acting was quite bad, and the animation was terrible. Stills were good, the characters looked good, but it didn't seem like the animators had any concept of physics and how things actually move in the real world. That's not so bad when you have a comedy series like the Flintstones, but it's a major downside to an action show like the X-Men.

February 11 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabih

This series went downhill i felt after the morlocks christmas came into play

February 11 2009 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mterrific

I agree that cartoons have sucked over the last decade. And I still watch a lot of cartoons. There's just no good reason to wake up early on Saturday's anymore. Back in the good old days I'd get up at 6:30am to start watching tv on Saturdays when my mom couldn't force me out of bed at 8:00 during the week.

X-Men, Spiderman, Batman were the best cartoons of my youth. I actually already have the full x-men series and it's awesome.

Check out the 90's cartoon openings on youtube, for some tear-envoking nostalgia.

February 11 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

I disagree. X-Men was one of the best cartoon ever made. I think the era I grew up in was the best era of cartoons. In elementary school we had He-Man, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Transformers, The Jetson, Alvin and The Chipmunks, Smurfs, etc., etc., etc. When I was junior high we had some of the best cartoons like Spiderman, Batman, and Teenage Mutant Turtle. Now cartoons are crap. The only cartoons in the last 10 years that were any good was Dragonball and Justice League. The next Wolverine and the X-Men look good though.

February 11 2009 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I completely agree with you.

February 10 2009 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nikescream

Sweet! I have been waiting for this...one of my favorites as a kid!

February 10 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manuel Reis

Yey, hope it comes to Portugal!

February 10 2009 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
animerion

While I don't agree with your assessment of the 90s X-Men show, have you seen the new one? It's actually quite good and regularly uses characters that wouldn't be considered the popular ones. Heck, they even manage to work in the Dazzler for a couple episodes. If you haven't, check it out!

February 10 2009 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mando

"ridiculous melodramatic vibe"? dude, you know you're talking about the x-men, right? take away the superpowers, and you have all my children.

February 10 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply