October 2, 2014

ABC has a new superhero sitcom

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 11th 2009 9:08AM
abc logoABC has green-lit the pilot of an American adaptation of the British series No Heroics, a sitcom about a group of superheroes and what they do when they're not superhero-ing. If this were a movie, it would be called Mystery Men. If this were a television series a few years back, it would be called The Tick. The concept was even dealt with in Alan Moore's Top 10 comic book.

The Tick only lasted eight episodes on Fox. However, that show suffered from a detriment that No Heroics won't: it was on Fox. That particular network had a tendency at the time to quickly cancel any show it didn't understand unless that show obtained superlative ratings.

I haven't seen the British version of the show yet (which is unusual for me as I enjoy both superheroes and Brit comedy), but I'm putting it on my list. If anybody out there has seen it, please give a quick opinion in the comments.

mark perna

No Heroics is VERY British humor and I loved every minute of it. I doubt it will work on American network TV though. It would have a better chance on Comedy Central or HBO but even there it'd be a long shot once it's Americanized.

February 11 2009 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

ABC? Really? The show is 25% cursing and sexually suggestive insults, come-ons and in one case outright sexual harassment! In other words good Britcom fun, but how on earth will they translate that to an network show?

Yeah...I see this failing almost immediately. Now if you told me it was going to air on FX, then I would say pair it with Almost Sunny and let the language fly, you might have something.

February 11 2009 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, but I don't have very high hopes for this one...

Love the concept though! The Tick was great!

February 11 2009 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John D\'arc

All they do on No Heroics is let people get shot and talk about getting blowjobs in bathroom stalls and have superhero rape fantasies. This will suck on ABC.

February 11 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJ Forde

I agree with eric. I like the show and watched the whole run in about a day but everything that makes it funny is going to get lost in translation. Now if a cable station was doing this maybe but seems like a disaster

February 11 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

Great show in Britain, unlikely to keep anything that made it great on ABC.

See http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/comedy/NoHeroics/default.html for details.

If ABC wants a great, hilarious-but-slightly-off-kilter superhero show, they could pick up The Middleman from ABC Family.

February 11 2009 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to Eric J.'s comment
TabbyKat

I love this show though it is quite risque and contains a lot of swearing etc.

There is a good review of it here that you might find find interesting....

February 11 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

It is a solid Brit show, some moments of brilliant humor. But I agree, it is too raunchy to translate well once abc dillutes it down.

February 11 2009 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Running

"Obtained superlative ratings"? Put your hands up and back away from the thesaurus, Brad! As the old joke goes, "Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do."

Anyway, I've no familiarity with the original. The Will & Grace connection doesn't give me a lot of hope for the adaptation.

February 11 2009 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric

the british show is awesome, no way it will traslate to american viewers. its dirty raunchy and totally fracking awesome!!

February 11 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply