October 31, 2014

Fringe: Ability

by Jane Boursaw, posted Feb 11th 2009 8:08AM
Fringe - Ability

(S01E14) "Walter, put the cow away, would you?" - Peter

Well, well, well. We got back to the mysterious Mr. Jones tonight, and I'm glad to say a little more was revealed about where this show is headed. But just a little, not enough to knock us over the head. And if you ever get the urge to teleport yourself somewhere -- or pick up a $2 bill on the street -- be aware that there might be a few side effects.

Now I'm wondering what else was done to Olivia. The fact that she was one of the people recruited for the clinical studies on corexapham (no idea how it's spelled; just guessing here) makes me think she's been used for other experiments through the years. We know her dad worked for the military. What else do we know about her family? There's definitely something "off" about her sister ... if that's indeed her sister.

The fact that Mr. Jones made Olivia do the "tests" makes me wonder if she's unwittingly part of his "army." Or whoever's army it is. Remember Loeb's cryptic words: "It doesn't matter if you find Jones or not. He's just a part of the army. What was written will come to pass. Nothing you do will stop that. Nothing."

I really liked Nina Sharp's awesome little PDA, but what was up with her sore hand? And why was it better at the end? Something to do with Olivia's mind control madness?

The weird-science of the $2 bill was just creepy. Possibly almost as creepy as Walter asking if anyone checked the street vendor's anus or penis while simulatenously thinking about the tiny pebbles of cinnamon and sugar on coffee cake.

I haven't played back the last scene of this episode, but I'm hoping someone else has. When Walter got out the ancient typewriter and typed the word "ability" with the skewed "y," was there a similar "y" in the ZFT book that Peter's book-dealer friend found? The book was self-published anonymously, after all, so maybe Walter was the author. Or I could be way off-base there.

Overall, really great episode that's probably worth another viewing to pick up more clues. Your thoughts?

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Hardtarget

Calling this right now, Walter is William Bell

February 17 2009 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

Wow, this was a great episode! I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much from last week's lead-out, but I was very impressed. This was the first glimpse of a story arc larger than just 'the pattern', no? And since this sorta encompasses/explains the pattern and sounds pretty epic at the same time, I'd say it's pretty darn exciting.

Nice twist at the end with the y on the typewriter. I'm not convinced that Walter wrote the ZFT, but it definitely implies a link. Either he wrote it and forgot, or someone close to him (and/or with access to his typewriter) did.

And yeah, as soon as Peter walked back into that room I thought that he was the one who was actually controlling the lights... he tried to pass it off afterward with his little speech about Olivia being "in the zone" and all, but I think it was him.

February 12 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lars

Nina Sharp is both William Bell and Peters mother. Peter and Olivia are siblings, and the evil Lord Voldemort is actually The Observer. No? Love all your theories though! Greetings from Norway!

February 12 2009 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darsh

It's nicee to see someone else buys into the Peter is the real recruit theory. The lights didn't do anything until he walked into the room. Also in a previous episode Walter admits that he performed tests on Peter when he was a child, which totally pisses him off (rightfully so.) Maybe Peter and Olivia both have abilities, who knows? I can't wait till April though.

February 11 2009 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BUBBAMEISTER33

Nina Sharp is William Bell.

February 11 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ReesieKitty

A Hollar back to your Johnathan Carrol shout-out! Folks, if you haven't read his books Land of Laughs, Bones of the Moon and Sleeping in Flames, go DO SO.

I've been liking Fringe more and more, but I have to say, that little literary reference just totally cemented it for me. This was a really tightly plotted episode, with just the right amount of action and puzzles. I love the cow. I love Astrid.

I totally think Walter experimented on Peter when he was a child. Walter would not hesitate to subject his own child to anything he felt was 'safe' enough for someone else's kid. I bet this was what he and Peter's mother fought about. I think maybe he is also a 'recruit' for this army and doesn't realize it yet. I wonder if Olivia's niece will turn out to be another.

I really hope this show can retain its audience over the break. I will definitely be coming back. Also, did anyone else notice Olivia's hair was a warmer shade of blonde?? I was reading that Fox test audiences weren't responding well to her- she was found 'cold' and too distant for people to relate to. I wonder if the appearance of the sister and niece were to provide her with a more relaxed 'family' plot to relate to and I definitely think they were trying to make her look a little softer with the hair. Did anyone else think this??

February 11 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ReesieKitty's comment
edgore

Hopefully one of the characters will get a Bull Terrier - that would be awesome.

As far as Olivia's hair goes I didn't notice that they were warming her up, but I guess I can see it - she does comeoff as very cold and distant. I remember back in the first bunch of episodes there was one that opened with Olivia getting ready to go to a party when she got a call to go to a crime scene. I actually didn't even recognise her until she go the call - seeing her dressed up to go out and talking to a girlfriend on the phone was so far away from her normal character that it just didn't even occur to me that it was Olivia. Which was interesting, becasue I think it shows how much of her work personality is a shield that she uses; there have been a couple of things that imply that she sort of turns off parts of herself for work, which makes sense, but it's interesting to see it done so well.

February 11 2009 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I agree with Edgore. Olivia has had a rough time of it. Her boyfriend tried to kill her, then he gets killed, and then he is accused of being a traitor. That is going to make you a little cranky. She does not have many bright spots in her life. Going out with her friends for an evening would have been great, but she got sucked back in to work. She seems pretty relaxed around her family. Olivia's character is pretty dark in general. I kind of like that.

February 11 2009 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

Jonathan Carroll shoutout in the bookstore! AWESOME!

February 11 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CDB

Best. New. Show. On. Television. Period.

February 11 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

People still don't know that Walter IS William Bell?

February 11 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sarah's comment
GerryofNorVA

I had thought Jones was Bell but Walter's initials do match Bell's, coincidence ?

February 11 2009 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

The Observer's and Walter's relationship goes back to when Peter was a child, which was probably around the time Walter wrote the ZFT. I think Walter wrote the ZFT based on his conversations with the Observer. The Observer is from the parallel Earth, which is also where John Mosley is from (if you remember back to episode 4, Mosley was the guy that stuck plugs up Peter's nose and read his thoughts, and also carried a really big gun). Mosley was trying to kill Olivia in that episode, so it seems to me like Olivia is a pretty important part of this whole thing.

I'm hearing your comments that Peter shut off the lights and not Olivia, but I'm not sure of that. I think Olivia's the one with the Ability. Peter has something else going on.

February 11 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply